11 speeds cassette minus one cog on 10 speeds freehub

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonz0

by gonz0

Hi WW!

I've got a nice wheelset based on classic King hubs. Since Chris King does not offers 11speeds freehub upgrade for this particular hub, I was wondering if it was possible (to the best of your knowledge) to transform a 11 speeds cassette into a 10 speed cassette by removing one cog and adding a proper width spacer.

If I use 11 speeds shifters (ultegra 6800) and I adjust the limits screws of my 11 speeds rear mech, I should be fine, right?

I made a little graph to compare the widths 11 speeds, 10 speeds and 11 minus 1 speeds cassettes
11 speeds cassette minus one cog on 10 speeds freehub

inb4: transforming 11 speeds to 10 speed is stoopid. I've got my reasons.

Thanks for your inputs!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Math looks fine to me, so I don't see why not.

For safety I'd be having a spare last click to the small sprocket, rather than the other end of the cassette.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gonz0

by gonz0

bikerjulio wrote:Math looks fine to me, so I don't see why not.

For safety I'd be having a spare last click to the small sprocket, rather than the other end of the cassette.

Yeah I could also add two small spacers at each end. The 2,54mm spacer is a regular 9speeds cassette spacer.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I ran my 7900 cassette with the new DA until I bought a new set of wheels and it worked just as well with 10 cogs as it did with 11.

gonz0

by gonz0

Ceebers1 wrote:You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I ran my 7900 cassette with the new DA until I bought a new set of wheels and it worked just as well with 10 cogs as it did with 11.

I would probably remove a middle cog; 16t probably.

aaric

by aaric

Works fine. I did this with a PG-1170 cassette, and removed the 16T cog, and moved the spacer from the 16T cog to the inside of the cassette. The 15-17 shift isn't as smooth as it could be, but it works pretty well. FWIW, I'm using red 22 shifters - spacing for shimano should be the same though.

I plan on picking up another wheelset soon, but this is a reasonable bridge until then.

gonz0

by gonz0

aaric wrote:Works fine. I did this with a PG-1170 cassette, and removed the 16T cog, and moved the spacer from the 16T cog to the inside of the cassette. The 15-17 shift isn't as smooth as it could be, but it works pretty well. FWIW, I'm using red 22 shifters - spacing for shimano should be the same though.

I plan on picking up another wheelset soon, but this is a reasonable bridge until then.

Thanks!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

gonz0 wrote:
Ceebers1 wrote:You can do that, but if you are using a Shim Cassette the 2nd to the last cog doesn't have the groves for the lockring to get a good bite on.

I would probably remove a middle cog; 16t probably.

-Ah ok, I see what you are saying.