drilling Prait'xis chainring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

It's just that is doesn't make sense in the first place for the members.

What I'm reading here is:

"OOps, I bought something that's wayy heavier than what I was thinking.
I seem biased in favor of Praxis, and apparently I tried every other options that's been offered because I reject these options (inferior quality, low durability, too costly, etc.).

Add to this that DJ confesses he won't do the job himself because of poor skills... :noidea:

Sorry, but we're lost here...

This post maybe should just have started like this:

"Hey, I want to experiment something: Drilling a heavy cyclocross 46T Praxis Chainring and see how much weight I can shave off the part and if it still shifts well...:)"

You would have already a dozen :beerchug: like that :) !!!

Just my opinion,

GO DJ !!!

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:Anyway, I've been using Stronglight, and the shifting has been unimpressive. I bought it because all of the other sizes of Praxis are lighter and there were no available weights for the 46, certainly not from Praxis: they obviously decided to add substantial beef for the 46. Obviously the other rings shift quite well, so the beef isn't needed. Perhaps it's to avoid mud.

Surprised at the lack of support here, where people pay $1k+ to save 75 grams off frame weight.

This is because the proposed course of action is stupid. Want a lighter ring then buy one and use it only for hillclimbs. Want a better shifting ring then buy one and use it for whatever. You should understand you make sacrifices in both the weight and performance realms depending on which end of the spectrum you skew to. Most accept it and move on with their lives and I'm sure there is much more you could gain from your training than the difference in weight.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

djconnel original question "Has anyone done this sort of thing?"

Sorry djconnel I have not.

Everyone else, have you ever read any posts from djconnel? I am sure he knows what he is doing, might not be the right ideal for you but no need to "go off the rails" and off the topic......

C

kman

by kman

Wtf is going on here? Is this "dontmakeyourstufflighter weenies"? There used to be heaps of cool tuning going on. I remember tuning my chorus rear derailleur to below record weight in 2006-2007 and I'm still riding it today.

The OP has been around a while and isn't an idiot, I would totally do what he is considering. He has also said that cycling is a hobby - clearly he enjoys his bikes as much as riding and for me, modifying and creating something that is unique is pretty cool.

The hard part, as already mentioned will be to get it looking good and symmetrical without messing up the shift ramps and pins.
I'd probably DIY, first with a drill press and then tidy up with a rotary tool. Alternatively, a machine shop 'should' do a neater job. Just spend some time carefully marking out the chainring for them.

DO IT! I'm keen to see how it goes.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

eric

by eric

I'd look into removing metal between the raised areas, i.e. where the Praxis Works text is. The thicker 'arms' on either side are probably more important. It'd be cheaper to buy an inexpensive dremel tool and do it yourself than to take it to a machine shop. You don't need a lot of accuracy as long as you avoid creating stress risers.

If you do it and it breaks its not my fault!

bricky21

by bricky21

WHOA! Wait. you better consult the manufacturer. That may void the warranty :lol:

Well said Kman.

austke

by austke

bricky21 wrote:WHOA! Wait. you better consult the manufacturer. That may void the warranty :lol:

Well said Kman.

And Prend. :p

WW It..... :thumbup:
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

mrfish

by mrfish

Go for it. Personally I really like the unusual look of this chainring, but it would be good to see what it looks like with holes.

Worst case you would fold the chainring, and I doubt that's going to happen if you leave "chainringlike" amounts of metal as you're not exactly Chris Hoy.

The project sounds like a good excuse to join a metalwork / machine tools evening class, or find someone who does this stuff as their hobby who can help.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I'm still trying to figure out how Dan's spell check changed Praxis to Prait'xis.