Parlee Z5SLi with Campy SR EPS... and problem...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

So we're building up my wife's dream bike, a Parlee Z5SLi (XS Tall... which was darn near impossible to find) and since she's always been a Campy girl, she wanted SR EPS on it. Fine, got everything and now I'm about to start the build. The battery mount is on the non-drive side chainstay on the Parlee, which I never though about as an issue until I started the build. Where do I enter the cables from the battery in to the frame?! There's a small hole under the bottom bracket, which fits on connector, but not all 3 (F/D, R/D, shifters)... What the heck am I missing?! Someone must've built up a Z5i with EPS...

Ok, so edit to add the build details... This is WW after all...

Parlee Z5SLi
Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Camillio Gravitas brakes
SRAM Red crankset with Praxis 52/36 chain rings
HSC ceramic PF30 bottom bracket
Ax Lightness Daedalus Premium (just crazy light, but as a sub-120lbs woman, it's not like she's putting lots of torque on it..)
Wheels will be her DT Swiss RR 415 (think that's what the rims are...) built with DT180 ceramic front hub and PowerTap SLC+ rear hub, laced 24/28 with DT Swiss spokes (aero lights if I remember right)
The dog in the build will be her trusted saddle, Terry Damselfly, but hey, she likes it and it works for her...

Yes, I'm the one that sprinkled some boutique parts into the build... she doesn't know how good she has it! :-)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

Feed the battery connector through the hole from the inside?

audiojan

by audiojan

Not an option. Campy has the leads to the battery permanently attached. To feed from the inside, I would have to move the entire battery through the frame...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I have not done it, but..

is the bb hole not for feeding the battery line back into the frame? If you are using internal battery, then ignore and keep all internal between rear, front and battery. i may be completely wrong.

audiojan

by audiojan

You would think so... but the battery has 3 cables coming from it (keep in mind that for EPS, the battery is also the control unit, so the cables are permanently attached) and the hole under the BB is just big enough to feed one connector through, but once that's in, the hole is then too small to fit a second connector (and most definitely too small for a 3rd).

I have V1 of the EPS battery, so no internal installation available. I looked up the V2, but I don't think that would be an option either since the frame is so small (keep in mind that the Z5 XS is tiny)... otherwise, I love the idea of mounting the battery internally)

audiojan

by audiojan

It looks like the only functional option would be the new DTI v2, which is not yet released... this is causing another issue though... now the seatpost (Ax Lightness Daedalus Premium) will be too long (it would interfere with the power unit)... why can't this be easy?! :noidea:

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Have you asked Parlee directly?

53x12

by 53x12

audiojan wrote:It looks like the only functional option would be the new DTI v2, which is not yet released... this is causing another issue though... now the seatpost (Ax Lightness Daedalus Premium) will be too long (it would interfere with the power unit)... why can't this be easy?! :noidea:

Cut the seatpost to size?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

audiojan

by audiojan

I'd rather not cut the Daedalus seat post.... I think I'd rather sell it and get something sturdy that I wouldn't mind cutting...

I did send an email to Parlee, but I doubt they work today (Saturday). I guess I have to wait until Monday, unless the DTI v2 is the answer, then the wait will be until Nov/Dec... oh well.

austke

by austke

G'day,
Maybe not the best option, but maybe you can enlarge the hole "just" enough to fit all 3 wires, (maybe 2-3mm larger?) And at worst fit a rubber grommet to seal it all off?
I had a look at my Giant, with 9070. Yes I know it is a different kettle of fish, but thought I'd have a look anyway. It only has the one wire casing, (with a positive and negative wire inside) coming from the battery and straight into the BB. which actually has a larger hole with a (plastic cap?) that screws onto the BB after the wire and connectors are put inside the BB. To seal everything off.
Cheers Austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

audiojan

by audiojan

The Parlee is such a nice bike that I would be scared to get a drill out and open up the hole to fit all three cables through it....

At this point (unless Parlee tells me differently), I think I will just bite the bullet and wait for the DTI v2 and mount it in the seat post. Will require a different seat post though (or cut the Daedalus, but that's scary as well).

audiojan

by audiojan

I talked to Parlee and the 2012 Z5SLi wasn't made for the EPS... the battery mount (on the chain stay) doesn't have enough clearance for the larger battery.

I've placed an order for the DTI v2 and plan to mount that in the seat tube. I calculated the clearance from seat post to top of battery and I will have 13cm of seat post in the frame, and 14cm exposed. Shouldn't be a problem right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com