Help me spend my money - 29er full rigid weightweenie build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

Ooh, I like the white frame. I didn't know they had a white option. Very nice.

justaute

by justaute

Wow...attractive frame. Look forward to seeing the build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robgall13

by robgall13

Sweet build list, any pictures of the bike?

You could lose even more weight if you wanted to. A lighter wheelset (although less rear engagement) with some tune/extralite hubs and either AX Lightness/LB Carbon Rims (request a low weight ones) will net you 200g. The Thomson seat post is a bit heavy, an MCFK will save you around 70 grams and is a lot cheaper than Schmolke/AX. A KCNC stem will save you around 30g. Maybe a different rear QR too, MT Zoom or Tune should cut the weight in half, saving 17g.

Amazingly light already though!

texmex

by texmex

Hey, sorry this took a while! I was planning on doing a detailed buildup blog, but never got around to it.

Total weight came in at 7.5kg but included atac pedals, front specialized fast trak tire one tube, bottle cage, garmin mount and standard sram xx1 grips. Should be under 7kg without any of these things.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11178671 ... banner=pwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bike is awesome! geometry is spot on for cross country racing and not too shabby on technical stuff. Also very stiff and responsive, a lot more than my previous fully rigid Niner Air 9 Carbon.

Fit and fiinsh on the frame is OK, paint looked very nice, but not a top quality item: carbon under the the seat collar had a terrible finish and aperture on the rear axle seems to be off and you need to pull the seatstays apart to be able to put the rear wheel on.

Also, I had issues with the Niner RDO fork, the 15mm maxle didnt go through the thread (that is why you see the bike with a rock shox fork in some pics). Had to make a special bolt to be able to solve it.

Still dont know how to upload pics here ...

TheRookie

by TheRookie

texmex wrote:Still dont know how to upload pics here ...

You need to use a host that allows a link direct to the image not in a frame (URL will end .jpg or .gif or similar) then insert into image tags (Img box above the text entry box) which look like this.

Wrong host as I don't think google give this option, photobucke and many other hosts do.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

right click on the image.
copy image URL
paste into "IMG"
very simple
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

justaute

by justaute

Nice. If my bike is anywhere close to 7.5kg, my 200-lb fat-ass would fold it like a taco. :)

What is the remedy for the rear-axle aperture?

texmex wrote:Hey, sorry this took a while! I was planning on doing a detailed buildup blog, but never got around to it.

Fit and fiinsh on the frame is OK, paint looked very nice, but not a top quality item: carbon under the the seat collar had a terrible finish and aperture on the rear axle seems to be off and you need to pull the seatstays apart to be able to put the rear wheel on.

Also, I had issues with the Niner RDO fork, the 15mm maxle didnt go through the thread (that is why you see the bike with a rock shox fork in some pics). Had to make a special bolt to be able to solve it.

konky

by konky

[quote="texmex"]Hey, sorry this took a while! I was planning on doing a detailed buildup blog, but never got around to it.

[Fit and fiinsh on the frame is OK, paint looked very nice, but not a top quality item: carbon under the the seat collar had a terrible finish and aperture on the rear axle seems to be off and you need to pull the seatstays apart to be able to put the rear wheel on.]

Shame the Open 'fit and finish' isn't all that. I wonder if the 0-1.0 is any better. No doubt made at the same factory in China as Cervelo which is also OK but not great. Same sort of level as Cannondale and Scott.

That's going to be one fine build by the way texmex and a fabulous weight. Only 400g away from world class low weight. Are you planning on getting it there?

texmex

by texmex

Justaute - I haven't found a remedy for the rear-axle aperture, it has gotten slightly better with usage, but it's still off by some margin. Getting the rear wheel on and off involves pulling the rear triangle open.

Konky - I am riding it at 7.5kgs with pedals ready to ride and I deem that to be plenty. Only thing I might consider is a wheelset around 1250grams with tubulars that might get me down close to 7kgs all in.

After some riding and switching back and forth with my Epic S-Works (pretty standard at 10.5kgs ready to ride) it has taught me a lot of what the Open does and doesn't do. The geometry is very aggressive and the ride punishing in rough parts (granted the rigid fork doesnt help), but if you are fit and committed during the rough parts it is very rideable and demands a certain concentration that rewards in a different way. The communication between what is happening at the ground and your feet, buttock and wrists is total, so it's entertaining in a way. The lack of inertia due to no suspension and lightweight are a hindrance and a godsend depending on the situation. The responsiveness and acceleration are out of this world.

The Epic in comparison feels like cheating and too lethargic in many ways. I raced the BC Bike Race in the Epic and thought the bike was "too aggressive", but after some time on the rigid Open, it feels like a muscle car from the 60's!