Newbie rules?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
jpanspac

by jpanspac

I've lurked on this forum for a while, and finally decided it was time to join. Ulterior motive: I want to respond to a member who wants to sell a component. However, the forum software isn't letting me. I've looked around, but can't find the rules for how long I have to wait, or how many posts I have to post before I'm allowed to do "normal member" things.

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slyboots

by slyboots

You can notice that all threads in Marketplace section have 0 replies. It's because replies are switched off there - to talk to seller use PMs instead.
And welcome onboard! :welcome:

engi

by engi

Same situation as the OP. I'd like to send a PM to a seller in the classifieds (he does not list his email address). How many posts do I need to have to be able to send a PM?

engi

by engi

Thank you for the welcome, guys. I'm unable to send PMs or reply to PMs I got. I cannot see a "PM" button in other users' profiles, nor can I compose a message. I get this:
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

It'd be great if you could resolve this for me :)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Not completely true Juan,

New members (light blue usernames) are only able to PM after they have reached 30 posts.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

engi

by engi

Thanks for the info, Frankie. Looks like I have a ways to go...just hate to post "unquality" filler stuff.

engi

by engi

Frankie - B wrote:Not completely true Juan,

New members (light blue usernames) are only able to PM after they have reached 30 posts.

Frankie - as you can see, I've got 30 posts now, but I'm still unable to PM. Kind of a bummer, since someone PM'd me and I can't reply back to them (no email address).

engi

by engi

Bump :noidea:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm sorry. You need 40 posts. :oops:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ipdamages

by ipdamages

Boy, this sure is a frustrating rule. I can understand how it may be risky to permit newbies to post for sale posts, but to contact a person who is trying to sell their stuff? I really don't see how a veteran is not interested in receiving a newbie's money for something they apparently want to sell. I, like engi, don't really want to post without discretion, but I don't really see other options.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Better get to 40 posts then =P
Instagram @seanblurr

brianwelchde

by brianwelchde

I'm in the same boat with you guys. I understand the not being able to post things to sell... but not the whole PM thing.

H0RSE

by H0RSE

I'm sorry. You need 50 posts.

Sykes

by Sykes

H0RSE wrote:I'm sorry. You need 50 posts.

I just found out that it's 50 too. I thought it was kind of weird that you could make a sale listing at 30 posts, but not send PMs till 50. The other way around would make more sense to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I'm trying to buy something but can't contact them! blah. Change the rule please! ;-)
Instagram @seanblurr