sram yaw FD - any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

are

by are

I have a mix of red/force, a few years old. I really enjoy doubletap, but my front shifting has never been better than mediocre (red lever, force fd). I'm thinking about a new bike and I'm wondering if I should stick w/ sram - I'm not sure if I want to live w/ poor front shifting anymore. But maybe the new yaw derailleurs have truly fixed the problem. I've seen some positive reviews, but does anyone have actual experience with it?

Thanks,

deek

by deek

It's very good, especially with the new rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Even with old Sram rings it's the best FD I have used.

I hear that 9000 is pretty good but I have not tried it or electric shifting.

Rick

by Rick

It is very good. I am using the 2013 Yaw with 2010 force cranks, and I have used both 2010 Force shifters and 2013 Red shifters on the same bike with it.
The yaw feature really works, but it does require careful setup to get it to where you can cross chain without rub. It was actually a bit easier when I was using the Force shifters with the extra trim position. But overall the shifting of RED is better; just no trim position so it requires more precise setup. I really like the integrated chain catcher.
Last edited by Rick on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jockalldrick

by jockalldrick

Remember seeing one work for the first time
Very impressive
Seems like a real good upgrade from the previous FD
Especially at that weight!

are

by are

Great to hear. I will remain firm in resisting the Ultegra 6800 / Dura Ace 9000 temptation.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I'm a long-time Red user with experience on both FDs. The orig Red FD was generally OK and sometimes a bit slow going from the small to the big ring. The new Red Yaw FD is better because there's a lot less of that slow shifting. All in all, the orig Red FD did it's job (eventually) but wasn't what you'd expect from a top of the line group. The new Red Yaw FD is better, but far from awesome. In retrospect as I write this post, I see myself making excuses for it...

I recall my DA7800 front shifting being better than Red. I also recall being absolutely blown away by the fantastically quick front shifting on the Ultegra group that launched just before DA7900 and after the end of the line "special edition gray" Ultegra group. That Ultegra was eye-openingly good.

Previous set-up: Orig Red shifters and Red FD (don't know if it was the fancy or std cage on the FD) with Zipp Vumaquad 9/10 rings. Mostly worked OK, but sometimes was slow from the small to the big ring. It was as if the chain was "thinking" about when and how to make the jump. Going down to the small ring never posed much of an issue.

Current set-up: Same orig Red shifters and new Red Yaw FD with new Zipp Vumaquad 10/11 rings. Shifting is improved, but only because the occasional slow shifts occur much less.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I was tired of my 2012 sram red poor shifting. While looking for the Yaw solution I found a end of the year EVO Hi Mod with Dura Ace 9000 at my LBS. Took the jump.... wow! Will list the 2012 Evo on the Bay and enjoy the new stuff.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

plpete

by plpete

I've had great luck with it. It's paired with my Force shifters and Rotor Q-Rings. Shifting up and down is spot on.

dcktr

by dcktr

Big improvement. Previously I had Force FD I bought in 2011.
I think it it edges out the Shimano DA 7900, I have not tried the 9000.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have it and it's fine, but not much different thant the last sram red one. I am using regular Q-rings and also large QXL Q-rings with it. It shifts fine, but rubs cross chaining no matter how you tune it. It may be much better with the oficial Red rings on, I have two pair of those collecting dust on a shelf.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Huh. That's interesting.

I don't have any chain rub - at all, zero, none, zilch - it shifts perfectly, and I'm not using SRAM Chainrings.
50/34 paired with an 11-28 and singingly smooth on older Red levers, which means I get an empty 'trim' which makes no difference. I'm quite content with it. Shifts are fast in both directions and not at all any different if I'm descending or climbing up a steep pitch. The only time I've ever had chain drop (which was protected by the chain catcher) was in an early ride when I set it up long, long ago, and it was a bit too aggressive of a shift and kick at the same time that caused it. Since then? I can kick and shift aggressively with no repercussions.

DA 9000 is pretty awesome, no doubt about that.
I'm not debating other groups, this topic is purely about the SRAM Red FD.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have Red on one of my bikes and he Yaw is the bomb. Adjusted properly, and there iS ZERO rub in ANY combination. Pretty awesome. I really love my 2013 Super Record, but I have the say the yaw no trim thing is a marvel.

-Eddie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

I admit that I tend to be super critical of even the best parts, and that I wouldn't really feel better about any other group than sram red even though it has it's minor quirks.

I think in my case the reason for cross chain rub is the big QXL oval ring. The shifting itself is great. I have dropped the chain on the inside even with the guide, but I think I had the guide on too loose. I tightened it up and have not dropped it since.