Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Are you referring to your rims chazmtb? From your pictures I see paint but of course you would know better. Looks very uniform to me though.
Huge issue if it is a layer of carbon and not just paint wearing.

An interesting bit of information in my ongoing conversation with Nancy at L-B. She stated that all yishun, farsports, hongfu rims are painted in the same facility. Then I see the below post on their product page which would suggest there have been some production issues. Maybe there is a lack of communication within the company and she is unaware but it sure would be great for Nancy to just tell me that there was a mistake in the painting production and the UD rims are actually UD with clear. I guess you get what you pay for.

Charles :
Hi
I just ordered the u 45mm rim.
I am concern in regards to the braking surface.
I just saw this rim with ud matte finish but the clear coat did not withstand the heat from braking and some clear coat rubbed off from the pads.
Did this rim went under testing for heat on the Rim. Thanks
Charles

2013-09-24
Light-Bicycle :
Hi Chuck,
We have found the problem. It is the a kind of clear coat painting. And it is not allowed to paint on braking surface area too thick. So, it causes the painting peeling after a few days riding. There is one painting guy joining the painting line, he is new, do not familiar with the painting process. And we have added the QC check on brake track before shipping rims from today.
For your rims, please mail us if there is similar problem.

Thanks,
Light-bicycle

chazmtb

by chazmtb

It may be paint and uniform but it very much looks like a carbon layer. I have to check again to be sure. Maybe too thin of a layer to be actual carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

After review light bicycle may be correct. It may be paint or some type of coating that is not carbon. It is a very thin layer different from the material that is showing through. The layer is very thin and if it was carbon, which I don't think now after review, would not last on any type of hard braking at all.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Just look at the surface in the sunlight, it is very easy to tell if it is paint or UD carbon. There will be variations of the carbon and weave...which I know my UD HongFu 40mm Aero wheels are definitely UD with a clear coat over it, matte.

Not sure if this photo helps of my 40mm HongFu...but can clearly see the seams down the center and edges where the carbon is layed up. If it was painted, you wouldn't see any of that with UD. Just a flat carbon appearance, and the sunlight will really make it looks white/air bubbly also.

sspring

by sspring

Its not UD Carbon. My frame is UD and this is not the same. You can't see the lay up pattern etc as Zigmeister mentioned.

Don't see how its a clear coat cause UD Matte is not clear coated at all. Its raw carbon. If you look at the pics on the website you see the wheel made with 3k matte. I would've rather had that even though it didn't match my bike perfectly. Personally I think they made wheels in 3k and then painted them when everyone started to order UD.

eric

by eric

There is matte clear coat. I don't know if it was used in this case but it does exist.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Messaged Lightbicycle yesterday about marble finish on the U shaped rims and:
Hi Sam,
This is Carolin from Light-Bicycle. Thanks for your inquiry.

For the 45mm & 90mm U-shaped rims, please find the attached cross-section drawings.
We can the 45mm rim with marble finish for you. But the 90mm rim can't.

For reference, marble finish Image

I don't recall seeing it posted before so;
90mm 'U Shaped' Cross section

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Doesn't inspire confidence when the drawing is clearly not to scale.

sspring

by sspring

An update after a few more rides on the LB45's after i got the tubeless Atom Galaktick tires sealed up. Awesome is a word to describe the set-up I have. 240g Tubeless tires soaking up the road and rolling so nice mounted on the lightest and most advanced aero design out there is just incredible. So smooth, so quick to accelerate, holds speed really well, very easy to deal with in cross winds, and just a great all around package. Performance wise the wheels are exceptional. Tubeless is a bit of a hassle but thats what they have LBS's for lol.

After looking at the finish very closely on the LB45's, it may just be they sprayed them with a clear coat too thick on top of UD. Gonna keep riding them to see how it goes for now.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

5 8 5 wrote:Doesn't inspire confidence when the drawing is clearly not to scale.

Indeed, the full size image shows it's just be changed in mspaint

sspring

by sspring

Attached are a few pics of the brake trac wear issue and also of my ride. FM066 SL with Sram Red/Force 22 combo group which came in at 13.8 lb as she shits for a 56. Lots of fun for $3000. The Tioga Spyder saddle is surprisingly comfy, I'm able to do 2+ hr rides right out of the gates with no discomfort.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That brake track wear (sspring) looks normal.

sspring, what sort of conditions are you riding in? Hills? Climbing much?
Your handlebar/stem combo is pretty slick too, not to go OT.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

The diagonal line on those looks like they could indeed be UD. And yeah your wear looks normal. Not a layer of material wearing through like chazmtb's.

Nice bike and I like those bars too. I miss my 066. Can I ask what vendor you went through? I hope for your hands sake you put some tape on them though!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

[

Image[/quote]

True WW bars!
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

i'm not too worried about the brake trac wear. Keep riding and see what happens. I ride on the flats with some rollers. Mostly flat no long climbs or descents

i purchased the frame from Honor Bike. Mark was easy to deal with.

the bars are the integrated bars you can find. I got them from Yoeleo. One of the bolts was actually not threaded properly so I had to use a nut and bolt to secure the bars. Haven't decided if I am going to replace them just yet.