Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I am/was going to order these so I asked Nancy to comment on your photos. She told me it looked like the paint was wearing....

It looks like that to me and probably doesn't affect the performance of the wheel but it seems very odd that the brake track (or any part of the rim) would be painted (right?) Nancy said she would check with the 'engineers' and get back to me.

Regardless, not confidence inspiring. I had assumed these were clear coated UD not painted matte black....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

honestly if the only issue on these is a light finish and the brake trac is discolored........i am thrilled

they ride so nice.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I am with you sspring. These do ride nice and stiff. The top coat issue was what was explained to me by light bicycle. I don't think it is structural, but nevertheless it shouldn't be the case. It should not flake off. The vendor responded very quickly. I need to provide a serial number and possibly get a replacement. We will see. Other than this issue I am really digging the looks and performance of the wheels.
Last edited by chazmtb on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

What mileage are you guys at with your U45MM from LB?

chazmtb

by chazmtb

61 miles for me in two rides. 23 miles flat and 39 miles with 1900 ft of vertical climbing. Just got them 12 days ago. I live in a relatively flat area.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Is it possible to ask them NOT to add any paint to the wheels?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sspring

by sspring

prendrefeu wrote:Is it possible to ask them NOT to add any paint to the wheels?

i was wondering the same. Carolin mentioned making me new wheels, which would be great but I'd rather have them in the raw carbon. looks like they use 3k weave and not UD though

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

3K weave on the brake track is common and might be a better idea (just thinking about it superficially, no pun intended)
UD for everything else.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I got word that they are sending out a new rim.

Good info for the ones that may get these wheels. 3k weave might be the one to get. Other than the brake tract issue , which I was afraid of even prior to the flaking, appears to be the UD weave problem, I am very happy of the stiffness and weight. These may be some of the issues we Guinea pigs have to endure. But I think the discussion and knowledge is good.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Is no one else disappointed that they are selling these as UD when they are painted 3K. Pretty misleading in my view and not the case with Farsports and others where you actually get clear over UD carbon.

I emailed Nancy if they can produce an actual matte clear over UD rather than just painting over 3K. Or worst case not painting the brake track at all it will look shit after portions of the paint comes off.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Yes I'm disappointed. Wished I would have know.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you guys are saying, the U45 from LB is actually 3K weave with a coat of paint on top if you choose any other weaving aside from 3K? If that's true, doesn't that mean their brake tracks are not specifically treated like how farsport has their basalt/high temperature treatment? Unless their entire carbon structure is made of material that can handle braking?

@petepeterson I'm actually considering a no paint option like you. Do keep us posted with what LB is saying about your request.

sspring

by sspring

MNX1024 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you guys are saying, the U45 from LB is actually 3K weave with a coat of paint on top if you choose any other weaving aside from 3K? If that's true, doesn't that mean their brake tracks are not specifically treated like how farsport has their basalt/high temperature treatment? Unless their entire carbon structure is made of material that can handle braking?

@petepeterson I'm actually considering a no paint option like you. Do keep us posted with what LB is saying about your request.

that is what i am guessing. doesn't look like a true UD Matte to me. it looks really nice and it does go with the UD Matte Frame I have minus the paint coming off on the brake trac. its safe to say the brake trac doesn't have any special treatment. the wheels perform amazing. stiff, very light, and obviously great aero performance.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

To my knowledge there is no specific brake track material on the L-B rims. They don't state it and all their photos just show consistent 3k weave. To be honest that doesn't concern me much as I don't buy the farsports special basalt marketing. I've had issues with their rims and the 3 sets I had from yishun with no special braking surface were fine. To me all carbon clinchers have their limits regardless of material at the moment. But that's just me.
Last edited by petepeterson on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

From what I see th UD finish is not painted on but maybe a thin layer of UD carbon on top of what ever carbon material is underneath. To be honest if that's the case it is very bad engineering on LBs part because on the brake tract that surface is going to dicintigrate in no time.