Colnago c40

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

Nice bike!
I would replace the stem for something like that:

I would also prefer shallower rims. It is not an aero frame by any means.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

SalsaLover wrote: I have seen some pictures of Mapei riders on that 00F at some point in time too.

That is cool. I would like to see that.

That is a nice stem @Kgt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rumsas

by Rumsas

First ride today.
It did good. This bike is alive, almost feels like a spring.
But stem and bar is not perfect, something has to be done

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Rumsas: Since you think that something needs to be done with the stem and bars, have you and idea as to what it is that you think needs be changed? How is the reach to the tops of the bars by the stem for when you're just cruising, or climbing? Good? Just asking to make sure you've got the stem length right. Next, what do you not like about the bars? Have to say, I do not like the looks of those bars, but thought you must, so that's ok. I much prefer the look and feel of a classic shape. What about the Deda Newton Deep drop. They have a very long reach however at 95mm. I guess it depends on what you think needs changing. I used to run some Deda Deeps with a 120 stem. Now I use a medium drop bar but shorter reach bars and I like it much more. I really don't like shallow drop bars at all, and think they look really awkward on larger frames especially, like my friends huge fat cat that has an abnormally small head. It's psychotic too, but that's another story. :).

But the whole package looks great and I'm sure it rides nice, and even better once you get it set up just right for you. I think I prefer a classic set of wheels on this frame, but again, I'm sure you can do that if you feel like it down the road. Like changing shoes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Calnago wrote:@Rumsas: Since you think that something needs to be done with the stem and bars, have you and idea as to what it is that you think needs be changed? How is the reach to the tops of the bars by the stem for when you're just cruising, or climbing? Good? Just asking to make sure you've got the stem length right. Next, what do you not like about the bars? Have to say, I do not like the looks of those bars, but thought you must, so that's ok. I much prefer the look and feel of a classic shape. What about the Deda Newton Deep drop. They have a very long reach however at 95mm. I guess it depends on what you think needs changing. I used to run some Deda Deeps with a 120 stem. Now I use a medium drop bar but shorter reach bars and I like it much more. I really don't like shallow drop bars at all, and think they look really awkward on larger frames especially, like my friends huge fat cat that has an abnormally small head. It's psychotic too, but that's another story. :).

But the whole package looks great and I'm sure it rides nice, and even better once you get it set up just right for you. I think I prefer a classic set of wheels on this frame, but again, I'm sure you can do that if you feel like it down the road. Like changing shoes.

Fat cat/small head, thats funny :beerchug:
Reach is to short, and everything about it just feels wrong.
My biggest problems with bars and stems thou, is that i am very very picky, and almost overcritical about looks :wink: Especially when it's for a thin tubed frame, like the c40. I hate if the stem tube is thicker than the tubes of the frame.
Thats why i think Oval stem is the best for a c40, both the angle and the thickness is perfect imo. But they are a little hard to find, and the r701 classic bars have been impossible to get.
Simply because i made a bargain on the Oval carbon stem and bar, i had to try it out. I also hate the bar shape, but i like that it is carbon (my first one in carbon)...
But it has to come of.
I know what you mean about the shallows and the cat (is that the Deda newton shallow, or the new kind of shallow by the way???). I am a classic bar man to, and have been very happy with Deda shallows on many bikes, and maybe i will try it on this one to.
So the 2 biggest issues are: stem to short, bars to ugly...
So back to the workshop now.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

After a little adjustment, now with training wheels, 130mm stem and Deda Newton shallow bars.
It feels a lot better

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Much better !

Молодец !
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

majklnajt

by majklnajt

It does look a lot better indeed!! :thumbup:

Although I am big fan of deep dish all black wheels, I think the Zipps are too high for that frame.
Or the look might change if you would put on some decals on the wheels...
Just my opinion ;)

willy

by willy

Rumsas, quite a build!! now lets see it with the deda shallow/carbon wheels. Congrats, glad you are back to riding and in such style!

Rumsas

by Rumsas

i know what you are saying. I have a hard time equipping this bike.
And the zipp wheels where actually made for another bike, but i had to try them on the c40, and the ride was awesome. If i like the looks or not, i really dont know yet.
But no decals @majklnajt :D

tranzformer

by tranzformer

kgt wrote:
I would also prefer shallower rims. It is not an aero frame by any means.

That makes zero sense. There is no rule you can't run aero wheels on a non aero frame. Who gives a flying flip? I like the way they look with the bike personally. What matters more to OP is how they ride for him.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I was wrong, It was not for team Mapei but for the 2002 Landbouwkrediet team

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2 ... =JJcolnago
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Very cool any ways :beerchug:
And it made me think of this one

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover