Bont Vaypor + vs Specialized S-Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valy

by Valy

Hi guys - just after some advice/impression of these two shoes as I'm sort of looking between them.

My take:

Bont: actually tried the "older" Vaypor with the ratchet and velcro. Did not heat mould them as was just trying out for sizing. Feels a lot more agricultural (lack of moulding contributes, but not implying they felt too hard/bad etc) than usual cycling shoes but the hold on the foot was very solid due to the stiff uppers - you barely had to put any tension on yet they felt very well held. Due to the the bath tub shape I had a bit of pressure on large toe with a slight bunion, but that's what the heat moulding is for I guess. With Bont it seems there is a bit of a risk involved as you never really know what they fit like until a few moulds and if they don't then that's some moneys lost trying to re-sell. However the potential pay off of that risk is exceptional and just tots amaze-balls fit - the idea of which is of course appealing.

Specialized: I've actually got the 2010 BG Pro model and have never found them lacking in comfort or stiffness. Having had them for over 2 years they are showing signs of stretch but think they are still good for a while - but have to compensate for the stretch by tightening and sometimes feels like too much in terms of blood flow.

Tried on the S-Works 2013 shoes and they actually felt like slippers - no exaggeration here. I think i might be a 46.5 but can't get than in UK so all my Specialized shoes have been 47s. The S-Works should be plenty stiff and the lack of seams (it seems) should be good too as actually I have had some initial problems with that with BG Pros. The fit you get in the shop is the fit you get pretty much all the time give or take and the BOA system is pretty cool.

So that's what I think about the shoes and would really value some experiences from people who've had either brand or even both!

aaric

by aaric

Had the Vaypor+ after a preorder. Shoes in a 44.5 narrow came in at 287 and 284 grams vs the 225 advertised in a 42. Neither of the front ratchets would hold their tightness. They used some non-BoA knockoffs for the ratchets. Took repeated moldings to get them close on fit. Felt a bit more solid than the s-works. Overall, the experience was a very big hassle, and ended up having to go through my credit card company to get them returned.

Bought 2013 Specialized s-works. Fit decently out of the box - I ended up going with a higher arched footbed to reduce the volume a bit (I have pretty damned low volume feet). Ratchets are night and day better than the Bonts. Had some ankle rub on the inside before I sweated a bunch and broke them in. Now they are pretty comfortable. Actual weight is in the high 220s if I recall correctly.

I'd just get the vaypors if you were going to get bonts given my experience with the ratchets and weight of the Vaypor+. From holding both shoes, I'd say the bonts feel more substantial in construction, but the specialized just feel/fit nicer to me. Though, I could see the Bonts fitting better for certain feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

Went from Sidi to Giro to Bont. Nothing can be said about Bonts until they're molded. I had to mold mines twice initially, rode about 5 times, and then molded another two times. Never tried Specialized but I don't see myself going to another shoe again. Given the weight and unmatched stack and stifness I see no reason to. I also like the fact that the bolts are set a little further back than the other two companies I've tried. The biggest complaint I here has to do with fit and stiffness, which usually can be contributed to lack of molding or needing to remold. I have the Zero's by the way.

Valy

by Valy

Thanks for replies!

Cos I'm so helpful I bought... Northwave Extreme Tech SBS! :P

Got them as they are on a pretty big discount and wanna try native speedplay mount. Did a quick ride around the hoooood (speedplay with adapter as have not got the NW mount yet) and they are kind of okay with slight discomfort on the outsides of both feet. As for stiffness, they seem more flexy when walking but on the bike seem fine and while still getting used to their fit it's hard to say for sure.

From having tried the S-Works in the shop the fit is not as good but the uppers feel similar, with Specialized being similarly roomy in the toe box and overall similar seamless construction. Will have to play around with shims and NW insoles. Would not mind also trying out the Specialized shoes in a similar way, but don't know what I'd make of the minimal uppers.

Might have to bite the bullet and go with Bonts once I have saved enough.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Funny read , going to NW

I am on my 3rd set of BONT and love them. I was swooned into a new pair of SWORKS by the dealer here , however they failed to deliver my size twice now.

I have just placed my order for the Vaypor +
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

The rotary dials on the Vaypor + are not boa knock offs.. they are made by a company called atop.
Atop also do the rotary dials for DMT and Spiuk..
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I believe ATOP also makes the dials for the new Gaerne Chrono that seem to be receiving some quite good reviews.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I've used the ATOP system and the BOA system (the ATOP were on a pair of DMT's... (which happen to be for sale right now)).

I preferred the ATOP over the BOA. It just seemed much easier to use and adjust on the fly.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KWalker

by KWalker

The new BOAs on the new S-Works are awesome.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

aaric

by aaric

Fair enough, if the ATops aren't knock offs. 2 out of the 4 on my shoes were defective.

Entirely possible I just got a bunk batch or some such, but in my experience, they were far inferior to the BoAs on the s-works.

AaronKellogg

by AaronKellogg

Have been riding some 2012 s-works for the last six months after the 2013's were on backorder for a significant period of time. They are great shoes but I honestly think the upgrades made to the 2013 make them a significantly better shoe. They fit like a glove and definitely have much more of a slipper feel than the 2012's. also the 2012's seem to run slightly larger and I had to go with an insert to help remove some volume. That being said I love the shoes and am very happy with their stiffness and quality.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Rather than start a new thread, I was wondering how Bont's compared with Specialized for stiffness and comfort? I have a pair of Bont Vaypors now but find on long rides or over rough surfaces (most of the UK roads!) that my feet are buzzing from vibrations by the end of the ride.

Have tried some Specialized on and they seem to fit nicely but I was wondering if say the S-Works would be more forgiving or even the Expert which is less stiff again and so be less prone to vibration induced numbness?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Honestly I don't think you'll get much relief from the change. The fit is totally different as you know by trying them on. I'd look to fatter tires at lower pressure to really make a difference. Have you tried a good tubular tire/wheel? If you must change something in your shoes I'd try different insoles. I have Superfeet blues in my Vaypors and it made a huge difference. I couldn't live with the stock Bont insoles. (Or Sidi for that matter.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by TwiggyTN on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

I've used 25mm Vittoria Pave tyres with latex tubes and still had trouble.

I've currently got Fizik Flashfit insoles in there and used black Superfeet before that and running Speedplay pedals in case any of that helps for advice.

I do wonder if the Bont's are perhaps too wide as even with moulding and a thicker insole, the ratchet strap is nearly maxed out without being overly tight. I wonder if this isn't helping either.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I actually suffered from more foot problems from having too wide or loose shoes than too small ones. I was having some real issues with hot spot, numbness and some odd tingling that would come up maybe 30min or so into a ride with my past shoes *Specialized S-works and Shimano R320. I switched to a pair of Sidi Wire that initially felt a little too tight or small in the toes but once I start pedalling just seem to melt away. All the other shoes I had some "wiggle room" which I DO NOT have with the Sidi's. The Sidi's have given me 0 problems being the tightest fitting shoes I have owned.

Just an opinion and something to consider, larger more roomy shoes actually gave me more issues, than smaller much more form fitting tighter ones.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com