Cannondale CAAD11 soon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

CAAD10= 2011- current (4 years)
CAAD9= 2007-2010 (4 years)
CAAD8= 2005 - 2006 (2 years)
CAAD7= 2002 - 2004 (3 years)

We know the CAAD10 is still around for 2014, but it is getting towards the end of its "design cycle" based on how often Cannondale has updated the CAAD series in the past. Could we potentially see a new CAAD next year (2014) for model year 2015? While the CAAD is great, other competitors are starting to catch up on aluminum bikes (Specialized, Felt, Canyon...etc.).

What would you guys eventually want to see done or hope Cannondale does for the new model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

What could they possibly do to it to make it better than it does now? Maybe a different alloy? Not really sure what they could improve.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tranzformer

by tranzformer

KW, that is what I thought as well regarding a slight change in alloy used. Was also thinking slight changes in tube shapes just like the CAAD family of old went through? Maybe a move away from BB30 to some new standard (I know, blasphemy to think Cannondale would ever do this).

AGW

by AGW

They've innovated themselves into a pretty tight spot IMO. They created a frame that's tough for even themselves to improve upon. It'd be tough for it to get lighter since the Al tubes are probably as thin as can be. I'd imagine Cannondale would let it ride another year while they refine other bikes. They revamped the Synapse already, so maybe a new Evo or an aero bike is around the bend. Or just repainting all the CAADs and badging them with "11 sp" and raising MSRP another $200.

F45

by F45

I'd like to see the CAAD 10 split into the CAAD10F and CAAD10S. The F would be for Fat people and not have a weight limit. The S would be for skinny people and not be as heavy.

gleason

by gleason

Im guessing they will give it the 73mm bb30 bottom bracket shell they did with the 2014 Synapse. If they do it till be interesting to se how they make it work in aluminum .

Doolop

by Doolop

For those that don't know- They just updated the caad10 frame. The rear brake cable is now routed through the top tube a la evo. We won't be seeing a caad11 any time soon.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

Seems like their current strategy is to update one model at a time, and it looks like the Synapse this go around..

53x12

by 53x12

"Seems like their current strategy is to update one model at a time, and it looks like the Synapse this go around.."

Exactly. I don't follow their MTB line that closely, however it seems like we got:

CAAD10- new release for 2011 model year
SuperSix Evo- new release for 2012 model year
Slice RS- new release for 2013 model year
Synapse carbon- new release for 2014 model year

Question is what will Cannondale do for 2015 model year? Internal rear brake cable for 2014 CAAD10 doesn't equal innovation nor a new generation of the bike. Eventually a CAAD11 will come out, just like the CAAD10 came out after the CAAD9.

Will Cannondale do a aero road frame for 2015? Will they start the cycle all over again and work on a new CAAD? Will they skip 2015 for any new updates? While many think the CAAD10 is perfect, many thought the same of the CAAD9 (and still do).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

RussellS

by RussellS

I own a CAAD7 and a CAAD9 bicycles. Pretty similar equipment on both. Centaur, Chorus, Record, Shamal on the 9. Veloce, Open Pro on the 7. Both 9 speed cassette. I consider both bikes to be identical. Both good frames. Neither better than the other.

53x12

by 53x12

Even the CAAD7 and 9 had their differences. The CAAD7 used the "Optimo" tubing for the first time and the frame had the teardrop shaped toptube and used round seat stays. The CAAD9 used the same rear end as the SystemSix which used the bladed rear stays similar to the CAAD8 but they were moved laterally slightly. The CAAD9 was also stiffened to make it more comparable to the CAAD4/5/6 in terms of stiffness. While you might consider both to be identical, they really weren't.

Cannondale makes changes from one generation CAAD to the next that are greater than just adding internal cables for the rear brake. Maybe for CAAD11 they will go with internal cable routing.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

timzcat

by timzcat

I think it will be a while before you see any significant change. They still sell very well so it's a staple to the line up.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

They could replace some of the tubes with carbon :lol:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

Beancouter

by Beancouter

May seem a bit of a U turn, but wonder if they might go back to smooth welding. IMO it differentiates them from the competition and the caad8. A bit more costly in the build but supports the premium pricing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

As others said, it's hard to improve on such a great platform. I'd like to see full internal cabling and have the frame compatible with both mechanical and electronic drivetrains. Maybe a tapered headtube?