"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

The negotiations failing had to do with Alonzo retaining ownership but not having much control over staffing and logistics over the first three years he was to "own" the team. That was one of the major conditions of the deal that he did not like among others.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Right, Alonso just wanted to buy them for the Worldtour license and create his own team. The team wanted to keep their jobs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't blame him- Euskatel sucks. They're a joke and win almost nothing. They have 1 rider that isn't a reliable realistic GC hopeful and they have terrible results for their investment.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Agreed. Without the Alonso deal, the whole team is gone anyways. Not sure why they thought they were in a position to negotiate...

pastronef

by pastronef

without Euskaltel and Vacansoleil there will be 17 WT teams in 2014. Sojasun folds too

Net-App-Endura, MTN-Qhubeka, IAM, Cofidis, Europcar to get wild cards for 2014 Tour de France?

Drapac, AIS, and hopefully Huon-Genesys to get wild cards for the TourDownUnder?

davidalone

by davidalone

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-gend ... m-for-2014

surprised and abit dismayed to hear that De-Gendt doesn't have a ride for next year?
he's a pretty talented guy with age on his side. can put in a decent TT and climb pretty well. perhaps not a top notch GC contender, but would make a good dark horse or a pretty capable co-leader/super domestique

methinks any of the smaller squads with ambitions ( IAM cycling?) or teams wanting to build a GC squad would do well to snap him up. lotto belisol and omega-pharma come to mind.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Linus Gerdemann was also left without a team in 2013 (but unlike De-Gendt, Linus was informed of this in 2013, not 2012, so it was already too late to pursue a new team). He'll be back with MTN Qhubeka for 2014. I hope De-Gendt doesn't have to wait a year like Linus had to.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I highly doubt TdG will have to wait a year, that would be ridiculous. I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't really have an identifiable niche except the madman long breakaway which won't work anymore because everyone now knows not to give him too much leash. I reckon he should focus on the hillier classics and just being a good super domestique.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

prendrefeu wrote:Linus Gerdemann was also left without a team in 2013 (but unlike De-Gendt, Linus was informed of this in 2013, not 2012, so it was already too late to pursue a new team). He'll be back with MTN Qhubeka for 2014. I hope De-Gendt doesn't have to wait a year like Linus had to.

Linus' issue was Linus

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13697 ... -team.aspx

ultyguy

by ultyguy

After reading the Garmin piece on VN on how they're reshaping their team, and that they still have 2 roster spots free...I can't help but think TdG will end up there.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I would approve of TdG going to one of my favorite teams. :thumbup:

micky

by micky

The actual team manager of Vacansoleil is trying to have enough money for keep De Gendt as well as Leukemans and Marcato.

With Vacansoleil, Euskaltel and Sojasun closing down, it's gonna be a hard time for many riders.

pastronef

by pastronef

Champions Systems also has budget problems

Angel Madrazo signs for Caja Rural (via @tourdejose)

Kevin Seeldrayers is leaving Astana (no news on new team)

also Lulu Sanchez should be leaving Belkin (no news on new team either)

petepeterson

by petepeterson

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Sounds like Garmin still has some open spots. Hope they don't resign Tyler though. Also sounds like Dave Z is still in the wind.

Hopefully they sign Janier Acevedo. That dude should be on a world tour team.

Still no word on Horner for next year?
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon