Selle Italia SLS vs SLR saddle comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Does anyone have firsthand experience comparing Selle Italia's new SLS saddles vs SLR saddles? Is there a big difference in extra padding?

According to Selle Italia:

Selle Italia’s all new SLS uses the shape and anatomical profile of our beloved SLR at a more affordable price point.

Specifically I am looking at an SLS Kit Carbonio Flow to see if the cutout works for me. My point of comparison is the original SLR "135g" Ti rail saddle.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

for the record, i haven't found any other selle italia to work as well for me as the 135g slr. Simple and effective with no pointless flashy 'carbon' glued on. I miss that product. But because it's worked as well as it has i've been paying a lot of attention to their line, hoping something will work. I'd love to find out what you find out about the SLS.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

TimW

by TimW

I could never get on with normal SLR or the SLR XP (which is the SLR with more padding) but SLR Kit Carbonio Flow worked great for me.

This year I decided to look for an alternative, the problem I have with the Selle Italia saddles is that they look so scruffy after a year or two. So I this year, I went for a Prologo Zero Nack Pas. It's a similar shape to to the Selle Italia but tougher and aesthetically works better for my bike. Feels a little different at first but now I don't even notice it. It's even more expensive than the SLR Kit Carbonio but you might be able to pick one up of the Zero Pas range on ebay or similar cheap?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Well I took one for the team and went ahead and ordered the SLS Flow Kit Carbonio.

The SLR 135g fits me in every way except for the pressure down there (something that developed recently). Hopefully this saddle works for me.

xcnick

by xcnick

I would be interested to hear how you get on with this too as I use the SLR flow saddles and the SLS flow would be a cheaper alternative for a winter bike etc, if they are the same shape as the SLR.

thraex05

by thraex05

I currently have a SLR Carbonio Flow saddle on my race bike and an SLS Flow on my 'bad wheater'/winter bike.
The shapes of both are the same, only the SLS has slightly more padding (and doesn't have carbon rails), therefore it's a bit softer but not really a whole lot different than the SLR.
In other words, if you're comfortable with the SLR, the SLS will also suit you.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

My impressions after close to a dozen rides on this saddle.

SLS Kit Carbonio Flow vs. SLR 135g Ti rail

Overall, I found this to be a seamless transition. On the bike, the SLS Flow feels similar in terms of width, shape, length and padding. The cutout provides noticeable relief on short rides up to 2 hours, no idea yet what extent of relief it will provide on longer rides (2+ hours).

There is one significant difference with the classic SLR 135g (note that I have never used the "updated" SLR).

The SLS Flow has a noticeable dip (probably due to the cutout construction), compared with the flat SLR 135g. So instead of simply sliding back on the saddle it feels like I am pushing my sitbones into the raised back of the saddle. I've tipped up the saddle further, but the dip is still noticeable and I am still pushing against the back of the saddle. The dip is also confirmed by viewing the saddle from the side.

Ideally, I wish the SLS Flow were perfectly flat like the SLR 135g, although it is staying on the bike.

Question for Superflow/SLR Flow users: Do your saddles have a bit of a dip? Online photos would seem to confirm so.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Surprised to see no one mentioned SAEVID saddles. They're a close copy of SI's SLR saddles, full carbon and noticeably lighter too. Not to mention cheap. :D

http://www.saevid.com/

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

xcnick

by xcnick

sanrensho wrote:Question for Superflow/SLR Flow users: Do your saddles have a bit of a dip? Online photos would seem to confirm so.

Here you go....... SLR Flow which I'm sure it was completely flat when new around 5 months ago. It does have a very slight dip but it's not really noticable when riding. But then again I came from a Romin Evo which was a horrible hammock.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Thanks, I guess this confirms my suspicions. Anybody with a Superflow care to chime in about the dip?

The Toupe I tried seemed flat and without a dip, although the width did not work for me (I tried a 143mm, but need to try a 130mm).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my tekno flow is (still flat)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

seve88

by seve88

Have an old SLR and new SLS. Yes, when I can get on with both of them. I would say that the SLR has more flex in the saddle, which I always find more comfortable.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I've realized that the dip in the SLS Flow is compounded by the flex of the shell, where it borders the sides of the cutout. With thumb pressure, I can depress the shell by 3 mm. I'm a lightweight, but the shell must be yielding even more under my full weight. As a result, I've had to raise my seat by close to a centimeter to make up for the flex.

Is the shell on an SLR Flow or Superflow stiffer/less yielding?

If so, I would opt for that over this SLS Flow. My SLR 135g saddles hardly flex/yield compared with the SLS Flow.

laxer29

by laxer29

I have been riding the SLR flow for last year but noticed that it has started to sag towards the right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com