Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

refthimos

by refthimos

I just received my Bont Zeros and came here for tips on molding them. Well after reading through 67 pages of posts, I have to say, this is without a doubt the single best resource out there for these shoes! Great info!

My Zeros seem to fit me pretty darn well right out of the box and I imagine will only get better after heat molding. So at the moment, I don't see any issues there. I will proceed to molding tonight and over the weekend.

Before I do that, however, I took some new KEO cleats and test-fitted them on the Zero's soles and they don't sit flush at all. I think there is a good chance that I will experience "rocking" when really pushing the pedals.

I know a few folks have talked about shimming the cleats in order to get a more secure interface between a KEO cleat and the Bont sole - does anyone have any photos of this so I can see how you did it? Thanks!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Cut a strip of plastic about a half inch wide or less. Fit it under the cleat between the bolt holes. Tune to taste. I used some ABS I had... think it was .040" thick. That was for Shimano cleats.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 113245

when I rode my bonts and had to use old Look Delta pedals for a while I put several small strips of rubbery-ish (lizzardskins) bar tape between the cleat and the sole and it worked beautifully.

pastronef

by pastronef

I'll buy a pair of A-three

any idea on how to colour in White the blue lines on the straps?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Modifying the insoles:

In case anyone is interested, I used some cushioned handlebar tape to customize the arch support. It's light and does the job. The kind with an adhesive strip makes it easier. Once you get it right you can use goo to attach it permanently.
formerly rruff...

HAKS

by HAKS

So how malleable should the heel area become after heating Bont's up? I've got the new Vaypor+ and heat moulded them twice tonight. Everything feels fine except my heel which is slipping up in both shoes. I applied pressure to the area during the cool down phase but wondering if I got them hot enough to start with to actually mould properly. The carbon tub around the heel didn't seem to have much give at all even straight out of the oven.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some advice.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

^ Cook them up for every minute of the recommendation. Really get them warm through and through. I don't recall feeling the carbon moving during the fitting, but they clearly had taken the molding change once they cooled.

>>>>>>>>>>

My orig-gen Vaypors have developed an annoying squeak after 3 solid years of happy riding - both right and left. I really have to tighten up the ratchet straps now - no more fast and loose for me. They're still 100% functional 100% good looking, of course. Anyone else have this happen?

I want to get another pair of Vaypors (with ratchet - the dial versions look horrible with the giant dials), but am tempted to try a pair of Spesh's S-Works for no other reason than plain old wanting to try something else.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

HAKS wrote:So how malleable should the heel area become after heating Bont's up? I've got the new Vaypor+ and heat moulded them twice tonight. Everything feels fine except my heel which is slipping up in both shoes. I applied pressure to the area during the cool down phase but wondering if I got them hot enough to start with to actually mould properly. The carbon tub around the heel didn't seem to have much give at all even straight out of the oven.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some advice.

I'm surprised your heels are slipping. Mine literally"pop" out when I take my Vaypors off. Get a good oven thermometer and cook 'em right up to the limit. They should be too hot to hold when you first take them out and my shoes felt a little bit soft. Get them on immediately and really form that heel cup around your heel with your hand. Then make sure you let the shoes cool on your feet but don't go walking around in them! Stand in them on a firm surface even going one foot at a time. I only had to heat mine twice to get a really great fit using Superfeet blue insoles. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If the heels are the only area in question, just use a hairdryer to heat just that area. That's how I sorted mine out.

And I share the same experience as Twiggy. My heels literally 'pop' out when I take them off.

Jamiep126

by Jamiep126

Hi Guys, 1st post for me so if I break any of the generally accepted protocols of forum posting it is unintentional! Honest...

Ok, I am considering some Bont Vapor's as I have had trouble with hot spots after about 40 miles with my Shimnao size 48's in wide fitting regardless of using Look style or spd cleats, the 40 mile mark shortend drastically with regaulr riding so I have ended up on flat pedals and trainers......

I alas have bunions which make my feet 120mm wide at the base of each big toe, however they are 282 mm long which Bont sized up as being a 46. But the 46 in wide fitting is too narrow (111mm).

I have 2 issues as a result. Do you think I would be able to stretch a size 49 (UK13) which in wide fitting has a width of 117mm, the extra 3mm to accomdate my feet around the base of my big toes?

If so the 49's are 30mm (3cm) longer tham my feet, would this potentially cause me a whole different set of problems?

I am seeing a podiatrist in the next few weeks and may be able to get specially built insoles, but I am hoping the flexibility of the Bont's heat molding may allow me to have pain free feet.

Bont themselves wanted £600 for a custom set which I cant afford.

Any help would be much appreaciated.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

You can probably make room for your bunion by spot heating with a hair dryer and pushing that area out with a rounded hard object. No guarantee though.

Also, you will need more length than Bont suggests if your middle toes are longer than normal. Since their cleat holes are more rearward than most (at least they were) it might be a good idea to size up a little anyway.
formerly rruff...

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I'm really confused by Bonts sizing. After measuring my feet 3 times I got a length of 261mm. Going by their guide I should have bought size 42,but a cheap pair of 42.5 came up so I bought them to try.

First try on of the shoes my big toe was right up against the end of the shoe. In theory I should have had 7mm of space! I tried them on a 1 hour ride and they were just plain uncomfortable. My toes were numb at the end of the hour. Not good. I'm now selling them on as I doubt they'd be big enough even after molding.

Has everyone else had better results going by the size guide?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Did the size guide carefully and came up with a 44 shoe. Thought that was small so ordered a 44.5 based on that and the sellers advice. Shoes ended up just barely long enough which I didn't like so I got some 45's which are perfect for me. I also wear a 45 in Sidi, Carnac, and Time shoes for reference. My experience says take the size wizard result and add one full size.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

by 113245

mitchgixer6: That's interesting, when I measured mine out 3 times I came to 260mm. Tried 42mm and they felt too loose so I actually went down a size to 41.5 and now I'm happy. ONe thing I noticed is that with my old shoes I had a tendency to sort of jamming my toes towards the front of the shoe to really wedge my foot in there because it didn't do a good job of holding my foot. When I tried that on the Bonts it was nothing but a world of hurt since the front is so stiff. No longer do that though, the insoles I have (specialized blue) take up enough volume that my tiny foot doesn't slip around at all.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks for the replies. I suppose that just proves the point that fit is very much subjective. To me the shoes felt too small, but possibly someone else with the same size foot would be Ok in them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com