lynskey r320 project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I got hit by a car 2 years ago and have been struggling with back problems ever since. I sold all my bikes last year because I couldn't ride without a lot of pain.
Shouldn't have sold this one, 3948 grams.

At the beginning of this summer a friend of my gave me a Specialized Crux to try out and do some light cx practice with everyone and have a little fun. Anyway I've started building muscle again and my back is feeling pretty good. So I've decided to build a new bike.

I picked up a R320 frame that was painted black. I don't have a picture of what it looked like when I got it but it looked like someone put 20 coats of spray paint on it. It was a real mess. The plan is to polish it and build something cool.
Not necessarily going for the lightest pieces, instead focusing on used and interesting parts.

Paint stripped

Half the frame gone over with a brass wire wheel.

More to come.
Last edited by voodoojar on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theosaurus

by theosaurus

pretty nice 'comeback' project; this will be one to watch.
yes, but how much does it weigh?

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

The R320 is considered to be a great Lynskey frame so it will be stiffer than your former Ghisallo. Nice job on the clean up.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I spent a few hours this morning with the polisher. This is using a 327 tripoli cut compound. I had to stop half way through because my air mask wasn't working and I felt like I was breathing it in. Once I go over the frame really well with this I'll switch to 130 jewelers rouge. Then finish it off with some liquid hand polish for the hard to reach places. Maybe get some new decals too?

michel2

by michel2

When was hit by a bus and bed bound for thee monthe i stripped my xtr group and polished it all up,
There must be something therapeutic about rubbing bike parts !
I hope you get back in full strength, it toke me 12 years but im pushing big rings again !(;

voodoojar

by voodoojar

michel2 wrote:When was hit by a bus and bed bound for thee monthe i stripped my xtr group and polished it all up,
There must be something therapeutic about rubbing bike parts !
I hope you get back in full strength, it toke me 12 years but im pushing big rings again !(;

Absolutely my main stress reliever in life is building/ tinkering with stuff.

Juanmoretime wrote:A project near and dear to my heart. After almost 6 years and over 35,000 miles the honeymoon is still not over with my R320. Is it a size small? Definitely go for the Alpha Q GS 30 or GS 10 fork. I might have a used GS 30 that I might part with if you cannot find one.

Keep the build coming! :thumbup:

I've got a few forks laying around but for some reason I can't remember the rake on any of them so I cant say for sure what's going on the bike right now. the options at this point are a Look HSC5 sl, Easton ec90 slx or an old edge 1.0. I really like the look of the Look but any will do.

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

personally, i'd always prefer look or enve over alpha. never liked those... :(
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I loved your Ghisallo and think/hope that your new one will be as lovely again.

I´d say take the Look Fork - would look clean and be light

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I put together a parts list with prices today. I haven't got around to weighing everything yet since I'll probably break out the dremel before I put it together, I'm guess final weight somewhere between 5-6kg. I really wanted to build a nice do it all bike with all used parts and not focus on the ultimate light weight piece for each spot.
I'd like to get light weight a rear rack anyone have any ideas? The rack just needs to be able to carry work clothes and lunch.

Last edited by voodoojar on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Got some packages in today
2013 Sram red shifters, need to order some hoods.
Cane Creek Aer headset, I had one of these on an old bike and always hated it but I'm a sucker for a good deal.
Stuff I'm really excited about
Ax Lightness Saddle this is 11 grams lighter than I thought it was going to be.
Tune Fastfoot, I've always wanted a set of these.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

It's really coming together now. Still waiting for brakes a bunch of nuts and bolts to come in then I can finish it up
I never thought I'd buy a pair or premade wheels from Farsport but I'm really happy with the wheel weight 989 and they are straight as an arrow and spoke tension is good. The cassette weighs 140 grams.

mythical

by mythical

This looks to be an exciting project bike once finished. Although I ride a GS30, which looks great on my bike, the Easton definitely looks better on this Lynskey.
And voodoojar, I hope you'll soon can ride it to the limit and without pain! :beerchug:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. My big question right now is should I mirror polish the crankset or leave it black?

mythical

by mythical

Given your rims and spokes, I'd stick with black and add some black rings and bolts. Also a seat post in black would look better with matching black brakes. Hell, a black chain, like those DLC coated ones or black YBN's would really finish this off!! I like the accents of the colored cables. They make for a nice contrast.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I wish I had a thomson masterpiece in black. I already had this one and never used it, probably because it's silver. I'll probably get a carbon one at some point if I find a deal.