Any experience with FSA SL-K Light Carbon BB30 crankset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Any experience with this? Worth using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Never had great success with FSA cranks, but honestly, that's mostly due to the chainrings... I bet if you replace the rings with something that shifts better, you'd be ok.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ms6073

by ms6073

Ahillock wrote:Any experience with this? Worth using?

Can't speak to experience on the road or the road chainrings, but I have used that crank on cyclocross bikes paired with Thorne and later Wickwerks chainrings with no issues.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

climbwalz

by climbwalz

I have one that I have been using for about a year and it has been rock solid. No problems at all. I had an early K-Force crank that I hated but this one has been very good.

duodiscus

by duodiscus

I have the SL-K Light crankset on one of my road bikes and I've had zero problems with it. I am running Praxis (50/34) chainrings on it, although the stock chainrings aren't too bad, but about 28 grams heavier. Crankset weight with the Praxis rings is a respectable 549 grams (175mm).

RMcC

by RMcC

I had mine for 2 years and had no problems apart from a small creak but think that was just down to the BB30 frame but I never tried to fix it. The rings were fine for me. I think they actually shifted better than my Sram force setup that I'm using now. I did weigh the rings and think the big one was either 130 or 150 so weight savings to be had if you do change them.

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

Good light cranks for the money. Only issue I have seen with them is when someone man-handled the one key release.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

What is the weight of a standard crankset? Compact seems to be in the mid-500g range. Would assume standard might be another 15-20g on top of that?

Would you guys go with the FSA SL-K Light crank or one of the first gen Hollowgram SI cranks? Hollowgram should still be slightly lighter, but I don't know about stiffness?

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

In terms of quality, workmanship, and future resale value, I would go with the Hollowgram Crankset. Opinion only.

I got a set of the Magic Motorcycle cranks not long after they came out (now on my beach cruiser), and was in love with that design for good..

choiboi

by choiboi

Swapped out my k light for a hollow gram sisl. It's stiff. I love it.. No issues after 10k

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

Ahillock wrote:What is the weight of a standard crankset? Compact seems to be in the mid-500g range. Would assume standard might be another 15-20g on top of that?

Would you guys go with the FSA SL-K Light crank or one of the first gen Hollowgram SI cranks? Hollowgram should still be slightly lighter, but I don't know about stiffness?

considering price against performance it's FSA all the time

but, this place being called weight weenies...