Powertap price reductions - to hit UK?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Milese

by Milese

I'm in the market for a Power Meter, and think that a Power Tap G3 is the one that ticks my boxes as its transferable between my race bike and training bike, which have different BBs, its cheaper than the competition and isnt too heavy.

I've seen that the price has recently been lowered in the US to $789, although they can be had on ebay for around $690 delivered to the UK. Even if I get stung for VAT @ 20% its only going to be another £80, so a touch over £500 all in.

The cheapest UK price I can find is on Wiggle where they are £630, or ~$1000.

Am I missing anything? Will I still get support in the UK for it?

It would also be interesting to hear how people have built their hubs up for a lightweight do it all wheelset? I'll generally use it for training, but it would be good if it were light enough for the odd race.

Aside from rim and bearing wear, do I need to worry about leaving it on my training bike which doubles as my commuter bike which is used daily in all weathers? IE, how robust and weather resistant are they?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

£88.39 VAT and £11.20 Duty, so £99.58 in all on top, if the price is $690 delivered.

Plus the ParcelForce/similar "handling charge" of whatever it is- ~£15 or so.

So call it £550 by the time you have it in your hand- I'd probably pay the additional £80 to have someone in the UK that I could return the hub to when it went wrong.

Milese

by Milese

I certainly hear what you say. Its a shame I've not got a US holiday on the cards.....

Might be worth hanging out for a generic 20% off everything sale from one of the big sellers.

deltree

by deltree

Check what version you're getting first. I was a bit confused with the new rebranding the other day. Most places will probably be stocking the older yellow Cycleops hubs. The new orange Powertap branded hubs my hit the market at a higher RRP than current sale prices.

sawyer

by sawyer

to answer part of the OP's question ... the G3 builds up to a decent wheel.

WWism aside, don't worry about the weight too much. For 325g you're getting a nice rear hub and a powermeter.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: