XX1 style chainrings for Cyclocross. Finally in.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

so here are the real photos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

So, 38T is ready to order:)
42T is in stock in both colors already.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/absoluteBLACK/115426098560064
Last edited by tehan on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

These look awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm going to pick up a 38 in the next week or so.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Although.... I have a hollowgram, and have been hoping someone would make a direct mount wide-narrow spidering. Looks like they will be out there... Tough call!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/04/eb1 ... e-skewers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit... Grrr. I count 36 teeth for the largest. Guess they're mtb only.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

42T spiderless will cost you a fortune. If you are prepared for 150eur+ ring i can do one for you:)
It's just not cheap to make such a big spiderless ring, so there is not many customers looking for one. To be fair spider + chainring will be lighter as well in such size.

I will have hollowgram splines as well but 36-38T will be tops.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

finally made some proper photos:)
38T version is in anodizing already!! so those who say 42T is too big there is always an alternative.

worth also see very good writeup about chainrings here (in German):
http://forum.cx-sport.de/showthread.php?t=4424

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

So, we are giving some chainrings for free:)

go to the Fb page so you may grab one for yourself if you are lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/absoluteBLACK/115426098560064

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

As per my post in your MTB thread - you say not to use KMC chains but have not put this on your website. Is this also true of your cyclocross rings? Thanks.

DanW

by DanW

Also as per the MTB thread. Do you see any opportunity for a new tooth profile which works in mud? I would expect this to be pertinent for CX riders/ racers who will not be able to avoid mud given the traditional winter nature of the racing. I feel it would give you a definite advantage over competitors.

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

Dan, I'm also in Wales and wish I had read your posts in the MTB thread before ordering last night! They definitely would have given me pause for thought.

The KMC chain issue is the main thing for me though.

DanW

by DanW

I wouldn't worry about the chain despite Tehan's advice here on WW.

Either the chain is a tight fit and holds well in the dry but clogs/ drops in mud as there isn't enough clearance with mud in the equation...

Or, the chain is a loose fit, clears mud a bit better but holds the chain less well.

I don't see how you can have the chain gripping well on the ring AND mud performance with a narrow/ wide chainring (any NW ring not just Absolute Black). Both ways the narrow wide approach seems limited in mud and I can imagine it will only be worse for CX with no clutch mech.

jooo

by jooo

Anyone tried running these or the Wolf Tooth rings on Exogram cranks? Either 110/130 bcd?

headwind816

by headwind816

My team's LBS owner/racer installed a Wolf Tooth on a Force22 crank ... http://volkerbikes.blogspot.com/

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Dave Haygarth (owner of ukcyclocross.com) decided to make a short clip of how absoluteBlack CX chainring works. Quite nice vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQEqgcqcQo&feature=youtu.be

As to chain. I have already sorted DanW. This was KMC chain issue and now it works fine. You have to use Shimano, Sram or any other chain, just not KMC. I can't go into many details, but chain retention DOES NOT depend on how tight the fit between chain/chainring is exactly. Even worn chainring will hold the chain well. It's hard to explain without telling secrets:).

To reiterate. These chainrings work very well in the mud, and i already have Mical Dyck (#1 in Canada) racing these chainrings in full muddy conditions with no problem.

They do not work well only with KMC chain +mud. This is because KMC chain have bigger dimensions of the rollers and the chain will clog up when you add mud (this further reduces the clearance). They know about this issue and they will work on that. So very soon you will see revised chains which will work with my chainrings as well:)

watch the video.

and this is how muddy you can ride in and still be fine. It's one of my customers photo:
I don't think you will get close to that on CX.

headwind816

by headwind816

That is a beautiful picture :thumbup: I would have loved to have raced that course that day.

This ring has me very excited. I have been contemplating a single front with bashguard and catcher, but this ring looks to be the real deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com