My "CUBE Stereo Super HPC Race 29 Blackline" Rebuild

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jseemann

by jseemann

HI fellow "weight weeners".........

This is my first post for the project related to the rebuild of the bike I have, a CUBE. So first off, here is the current look of the standard off-the-shelf model:

So in reading through the forums I've decided to look at the following aspects and components to make this bike lighter:

Wheelsets:
Currently the bike has Radium MA rims, and I've not been able to google and find out much about them, even on the Sun-Ringle website. Don't know why CUBE didn't go for DT Swiss like other models in their range? When I took the bike wheel sets apart, to weigh them, I found myself completely astounded! Thinking of Easton, MAVIC or DT Swiss, but need 29'ers with a 15QR/X12 combination, which I am struggling to identify.......

Front Wheel (including hub and 180mm Shimano brake disc ) @ 1187g:

Rear Wheel (including hub, 180mm Shimano XTC brake disc and Deore XT cassette) @ 1857g:

Drivetrain:
Currently the bike has a Shimano Deore XT 3x10 drivetrain but I took it only as I had severe time constraints (when I bought the bike in January 2013 in Germany), and have now ordered a SRAM XX 2x10 unit complete drivetrain set. I prefer SRAM far more than Shimano as the shifting is crisp and direct, both at the front and at the back.

Tires (including tubes) @ 884g each:
I run on 29 inch Racing Ralphs with inner tubes for the moment, but may shift later to UST's using the same Schwalbe units. For the moment these are okay for me.

Seatpost @ 319g:
Now it has RFR seatpost unit 31.6x400mm. I've ordered a Ritchey WCS 1 Bolt Carbon seatpost weighing only 187g.

Seat @ 281g:
Selle Italia X1 Trail. Any ideas for a lightweight Selle Italia unit?

Shifting:
Existing rapidfire shifters are Shimano SLX units, planning to change to SRAM XX 2x10 gripshift units. Had them many years ago, and loved them at that stage so can imagine how much technology has improved.

Brakes:
At present the bike has Magura MTC brakes, with 180mm rotor discs, which have an excellent stopping power but obviously are heavy. I have ordered Formula R1 Racing brakes sets, including Formula 180mm rotors (as I weigh a smidgen more than those top end racers at 100kg) and am looking forward to mounting and using them, as the reports have been excellent on the mtb forums.

Front Bars:
Haven't weighed them yet, but they are RFR Flat Race Bar (31.8x720mm, 9 degrees) - haven't considered which ones to use in place of these.

Shocks:
Fox Talas 29 in front and rear has Fox Float CTD Boost Valve 200x57mm with a 110 - 140mm shock. Not thinking of any changes here, for now.

Cassette:
At present I have a Shimano 11-36 10 speed cassette for Shimano Deore XT, however I've ordered a SRAM XX XG-1099 11-36 2x10 cassette plus a SRAM Powerchain PC1091R Hollow Pin chain. Should be some weight savings there....

Phew, what a post! I hope you all can contribute and assist me with ideas where else I can make some changes. My biggest help would be where to find light rims that don't cost the earth but could help save 500grams or so......and have them shipped/DHL'd to Rwanda, where I live......
My bikes:
(1) CUBE Stereo Super HPC Race 29 blackline - 2013 model - 12.7kg currently
(2) GIANT TCR2 road bike - 2007 model - 8.9kg and its fine......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 1560

got the same bike
did an enduro trip with it, TransProvenceGuided
it weight 12,1kg without peddals, but "complete" to do the enduro event
mods:
hope M4brakes
xtr: shifters:cassette:derrailer:chain
xt: 2x10crankset
dt240/ZTR arch650 wheelset
nobbynic 2,35 tubeless ready tyres
RS reverb seatpost/fizik gobi braided
ergon grips

improvements (but most likely I'll sell it)
RS pike fork (2012talas sucks)
RaceFace crankset (1x10)
esi grips
Ti forever