StrongLight Pulsion .. it's arrived

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

spytech wrote::shock: what the hell is that? it must weight more than bike.

No, no, no: it's a famous Middleburn bottle opener, the new millenium version of the Ibis Hand Job: really small, really light: you store it in the hole on your Stronglight Pulsion crank. :!:
While Stronglight probably doesn't have engineers on staff, nor understand materials, or structure, and they probably don't know what FEA even means, the marketing whizzes at Middleburn convinced them that this joint venture would be a great success. And so: the Pulsion hole. :P
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Francois_Viviers wrote:A hole in an I beam? we are comparing a metal Ibeam to a function specific carbon crank. An I beam was engineered to have strenght in its design therefore cutting a hole in it would bugger it. These carbon cranks have been engineered to have a hole in it, and with the structural design freedom that you have with sheets of unbonded carbon I am sure you could make this work. Only a test would tell

Of course :!: : that's what I said: I-beam; box beam; truss; glulam; rope bridge; laced frame; carbon crank: whatever: it's all structure, and all are function-specific: if an opening is required, obviously that can be accounted for in the design/engineering, and I'm pretty sure Stronglight engineered and tested this :roll: .
What were the strength/stiffness parameters they tested to, what is the internal structure? I don't know, it would be nice to find out: could be brilliant, could be a noodle.
In the last few years cranks have gone from +/- 700 g to +/- 500 g, claiming high stiffness, some succeeding. So I wouldn't discount this design per se, but with all these superlight cranks it would be great to have independent and strength/weight/stiffness comparative tests, I agree.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

cadence90 wrote:
spytech wrote::shock: what the hell is that? it must weight more than bike.

No, no, no: it's a famous Middleburn bottle opener, the new millenium version of the Ibis Hand Job: really small, really light: you store it in the hole on your Stronglight Pulsion crank. :!:
While Stronglight probably doesn't have engineers on staff, nor understand materials, or structure, and they probably don't know what FEA even means, the marketing whizzes at Middleburn convinced them that this joint venture would be a great success. And so: the Pulsion hole. :P

Cuts pizza reallly good plus its aero...

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Here it is in use in Tour de Meditterané

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Dammit just as I thought I found a less ordinary crankset in 177.5 mm they decide not to make them in 177.5 and 180 mm anyway...
http://www.zefal.com/stronglight/page.p ... le=pulsion
Only option the FSA team issue.
:cry: