FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

carlislegeorge wrote:
eric wrote:I also found the blue FS or Reynolds pads to be a little better than Black Prince pads.

can you elaborate on why you they they're better, please?

Right, "better" is kind of useless, although I did post in more detail in another thread.
The prince pads squeal a little, although nothing like yellows.
The prince pads did not have quite the initial bite of the blue pads, and a little less braking power under hard braking.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

:D :)
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

MisterNoChain wrote:I have a problem with the freewheel body. Sometimes it doesnt grip.
For example: i'm rolling towards a red light, so i'm just pedaling along without putting power on the pedals. The moment i put a little bit of power on the pedals the pawls dont grip, so i have a 'mishit'. Same thing happens when i stand op the pedals behind a slow corner. It doesnt happen all the time, once every 50km's lets say.

Hello Mister,

I wonder if your problem got solved?
Usually you have to contact sales who you communicated previously first, to make the problem clearly or fill in the complaint sheet (we offer), then our sales will forward/pass your problem to our manager Mae, who will directly deal with it with you in 1-2working days. That is the general process.

Hope this work for you.

regards
kyle Fu
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Would you recommend buying just the rims and building a 38 mm set for a 93 kgs rider ? I am a bit concerned with the effect of 93 kilos on the 38mm wheelset. I was thinking 24/28 with Dt Comp at Back wheel, DT revolution on the front, Record or Ambrosio Zenith hubs depending the budget. My main concern is to have a wheelset that will not be effected from my weight.

Any thoughts about the 24 mm ?

Irish

by Irish

Kupepe, I'm 100kgs and have been using a pair of Farsport's standard 38mm (20/24 hole hubs) that weighed in @ 1290gms and can't find fault with them.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

Kupepe wrote:Would you recommend buying just the rims and building a 38 mm set for a 93 kgs rider ? I am a bit concerned with the effect of 93 kilos on the 38mm wheelset. Any thoughts about the 24 mm ?

Kupepe, although 93kgs is not very heavy, I would advise you 38mm depth rather than 24mm depth.
Our DT240S is only 20/24H normal version, if you do need 24/28H, you can try our Bitex.
FarSports carbon wheels

MNX1024

by MNX1024

optV wrote:I'm really not trying to take over this thread, but for anyone wondering, I switched sales people after I got a hold of Smart's email address. He was AWESOME and responsive. Anyone wanting to order from farsports should ask for him.

I got the new 38x25 U shaped aero road clincher with the new braking surface, EDhub ceramic and UD matt finish. Est weight is 1390+/- 30g and he said it is set to ship out on Monday via EMS!

I will post an update once the wheelset is received.

Have you received your wheels yet? How much does your weigh? Any comments on quality and etc?

loco2546

by loco2546

I feel tempted to buy these wheel in clincher version of course . Now the question is what wheel combo would be best for me i am only 125 and 130 when i eat a lot.! Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

austinla

by austinla

Edit: Updates with changed order.

I wanted to pass along my experience from start to finish. First, I ordered 38x23 width, but they were a standard "V" shape and not actually 23mm wide at the brake track... So I changed to the 38 depth by 25 width (18mm internal width) and they were in stock. The wheels were built in one day and pics were sent to me before they shipped to verify everything.
I got the Ed's 2x1 (Not ceramic), FYI.

IMG_8537 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8539 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8540 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8541 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8542 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8544 by ilive41, on Flickr

IMG_8545 by ilive41, on Flickr

ricey155

by ricey155

some good info and excellent read

they seem to offer many different width sizes 20,5mm 23 and 25mm what's the general idea for those widths, better stability etc, any info would be great. :thumbup:

austinla

by austinla

I'm anticipating the wheels arrival by next Friday, but following that is my birthday, vacation and thanksgiving, so might not get to test these out for a while. Either way, I'll try to keep comments, pics and feedback relevant!

weenie

by weenie

Anyone used these or similar on a CX bike? I searched around but there's no much info/people who seem to have really risked it (only found one thread talking about it, and then the guy mounted slicks.. ;-)

Those seems to be "possible": http://wheelsfar.com/2014-new-38mm-clin ... p-220.html (not sure how good they're at low pressure with tubeless, but i don't assume much, and 20/24 spokes is a little low unless you're light)
And these in 25mm wide: http://wheelsfar.com/wide-38mm-clincher ... p-294.html (actually look better, not sure about spoke count, given its not specified and "also for MTB" i guess the picture is not accurate)

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Update...longer term report...

I have been using FarSports 38mm deep 20.5mm wide clincher rims since March 2013. Not the very latest compounds, just the basalt brake track. Built locally to about 1260 grams with Novatec hubs and Sapim spokes. I have nearly 4000 miles on them with 175K feet of climbing (not much, admittedly), max speed 45+ mph. Rough roads, pot holes, smooth roads, all types. I brake relatively hard at times, and am a relatively cautious descender but have never noticed any signs of overheating or related issues. Modulation and stopping power are beyond adequate for my purposes. Currently on my second set of Swisstop Black Prince pads, which squealed the first few times I rode on them. I weigh 180+ pounds. Zero problems. 20 hole front, 24 rear. I did rebuild the front from radial to 1X and they have stayed true ever since. Rebuilt the rear when upgraded to 11 speed.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

upside

by upside

I am interested in picking up another set of 38's that are 25mm wide. I did have a set last year with the ED hubs and had to relace the rear for 11sp. I did have a problem with the spokes hitting the rear derailleur. I had to sell them and now I am contemplating another set. I have looked at the Honfu 40's which look interesting. Then I look at the Farsports built out with a set of ED hubs and the price is hard to pass up.

If I had the wheels built with straight pull spokes, they do offer one hubset for that. Or, do I just have them built with the ED hubs 2.1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

austinla

by austinla

The wheels arrived on Wednesday... They took 3 business days from China to my doorstep in Los Angeles. That is faster than ordering from a US vendor!

Build quality is superb, within 1mm hop (better than most name brand new wheels) and essentially the same trueness side-to-side, probably within .5mm. The rear hub does not make a loud click, but does make a less engaging "zip"... lots of clicks at speed and its almost a constant sound. The rear hub does seem to have the slightest bit of drag beyond your average rear wheel... not sure if it is the hub or bearings, and I'm also not sure if it will subside with usage. Nothing concerning, but an observation. Front wheel spins smooth all day long.

They advertise 1390 +/- 30g, and advertise the skewers at 45g.
Actual weights were
1389g for the wheels (-1),
46g for the skewers (+1).
1440g including velo plugs and skewers, which beats out the similarly deep/wide ZIPP wheels with skewers (yes, they are better wheels, and 5x more expensive). I was slightly nervous about the wheel set, but the quality is outstanding. It's raining and I haven't ridden them yet, but wanted to post the weights and a few pics on my bike. I'm running Michelin Pro 4 SC 25 width tires, FYI, and it looks really, really good with the fat tires on there.

FarSports 38x25 2014 carbon clincher by ilive41, on Flickr