Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

ave wrote:I wonder what did all the pros use in all the races this year?
I don't think that they went out to buy sram cassettes.

Yes, but. Those pro's are considered heavy at 160#.

Perhaps OP is a 260# giant of a man putting out huge torque.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 4914

Broken DA 9000 11spd cassette collection....

PSM

by PSM

Stunned. :shock:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

PSM wrote:Stunned. :shock:

By the immense power/weight of the cyclist or by the Shimano rubbish product design? :lol:

ichobi

by ichobi

Those look pretty dangerous...

by 4914

Though I'd like to think that I have so much power I can break cassettes, the truth is I wasn't even going that hard at all (after the first one broke I've been very careful not to do so especially when its was making noises) I'm 92kg now... body weight has nothing to do with it. Power and torque do. (assuming a heavier rider can put out more power is reasonable-but I'm sure there are plenty 60kg guys who can pump out way more than some 90kg guys)
in the past I've done full on track starts on my old Cannondale with alloy frame and Dura ace 9 spd putting out 1500-1700 watts and no problem whatsoever with cassette or chain... i wouldn't even been doing 1000w when these things broke.
bottom line is this wouldn't fail if its was made of a reasonably strong alloy.
perhaps they should put a warning label on the box "not for cyclist above 65kg" or "max power 600watts" :D

PSM

by PSM

pdlpsher1 wrote:
PSM wrote:Stunned. :shock:

By the immense power/weight of the cyclist or by the Shimano rubbish product design? :lol:

The latter.

by 4914

What do you think of the pics Trek UK? Are you still laughing? Lucky that despite blowing up the cassettes I'm a forgiving guy and contacted shimano for the benefit of others not myself. I've already sorted myself out and wasn't even moaning to the shimano Europe guy when I told him I didn't want another one as I'm going to use SRAM

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Those pics are pretty astonishing. Good luck with whatever you go with, it'll definitely be better than what you've experienced.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The local experience here is that the cassettes need to be tightened to spec the first time round. And if you hear any creaking to be re-tightened to spec the second time ASAP. And the second time round will eliminate the loosening issue. Seems that there is some 'bedding' in for the carbon spiders ??

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

... all I can say is wow!
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Install them to spec.........that's a novel idea. I think the op's point was that despite his expertise he experienced this repeated failure. So what can we conclude? Here's some possibilities:
1. Failure occurs no matter what you do as long as you are big and strong; or
2. If you install them properly and check them they won't fail;

Option 1. Assumes shimano is incapable of designing and testing critical load characteristics.
Option 2. Assumes the Op despite his assurances did not install them or check them correctly.

So........which is it?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

goodboyr wrote:Install them to spec.........that's a novel idea. I think the op's point was that despite his expertise he experienced this repeated failure. So what can we conclude? Here's some possibilities:

Option 1. Assumes shimano is incapable of designing and testing critical load characteristics.
Option 2. Assumes the Op despite his assurances did not install them or check them correctly.

So........which is it?

If you read the OP's post, he did not install any of the 3 broken cassettes.

Looking at the photos, I'm failing to understand why the lockring torque has anything to do with the failures. Please explain.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its not for me to explain failures based on pictures and descriptions. The only fact I can contribute is that myself and others have installed and torqued them correctly and have not experienced these failures. You would need to examine these properly. I assume these pictures went to shimano with the complaint. If there was a systematic issue there would be a recall. That's expected in the laws of many countries. Yet there is no recall. So my assumption is that shimano concluded this was an installation error. And the only installation parameter for a cassette is the lockring torque.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

goodboyr wrote:Install them to spec.........that's a novel idea. I think the op's point was that despite his expertise he experienced this repeated failure. So what can we conclude? Here's some possibilities:

So........which is it?

Hi goodboyr/TrekUK, interesting/amazing replies :o

My interpretation is that the spider can be faulty and that Shimano will most likely correct the issue in time, just like Shimano fixed the issue with the 6700 chain when it was initially released where link breakages occurred.
When the 6700 chains encountered link breakages I don't remember there being any recalls...

Hi 4914, thank you for letting us all know of this issue with the DA 11spd cassette spider :)

It does sound a little dangerous, so it is fortunate that noone has been injured todate :)

thanks KL :)