Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ttakata73

by ttakata73

I was interested in the FM166 thinking it might be cheap, so I emailed Dengfu and got this reply the next day.

"Price for disc road frame fm166 is $660, fork/frame/seatpost included
fit for headset sizes 1 1/8" to 1 1/2",headset need $14"

I asked if their resin is UV stable and I did not get an answer.
Has anyone else asked this?
I see a lot of clearcoated Dengfu frames but if that sits in the sun awhile, it's going to yellow and lose integrity.
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu ... 6p2713.pdf

Since I can buy a Chinese titanium frame for a little more money, I have lost interest in Dengfu.

tharmor

by tharmor

It would appear that the FM166 has some competition in the FM079 ::

I emailed Nancy at HongFu with some inquiries and this is what she sent back ::

FM079+FK079+SP079:$660
headset:$15
ship cost:$85
4% for paypal charge:$30.4
the total price:$790.4
my paypal account:sales04@hongfu-bikes.cn

including the frame,fork and seatpost.

the frame is all inner cable,including the brake cable.

it is 135mm for the rear hub space

now have one 56cm BSA UD matte in stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Thanks for the updates all!

At least that Hongfu has the dropouts tilted forward, an essential detail that not all QR disc fork makers seem to comprehend.

tharmor

by tharmor

Focus is the only manufacturer that I've seen so far using thru axles, which I estimate will be mandatory eventually. Take a look ::

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

UV exposure maybe a problem for some but here in the U.K it is now offically winter we probably won't see the sun again properly for a while. I still don't have through axles on my MTB. Makes sense though. Miche have got there new road disc wheels out as well. Q/R realese only but they probably have a thru axle conversion kit available. I will be ordering some soon for my wife's road disc build.

pushstart

by pushstart

tharmor wrote:Focus is the only manufacturer that I've seen so far using thru axles, which I estimate will be mandatory eventually. Take a look ::

(That sure is a sweet bike.)

The Whisky 9 fork is also a thru-axle fork.

This seems appealing, though it definitely further limits hub options. I wonder who makes that 24h front thru-axle. I also wonder if 24h is sufficient, though that is obviously a very different topic.

When i finally build my disc road bike, I will probably build the front wheel with a hub that has interchangeable axle options.

Colin

by Colin

They aren't very easy to get a hold of, but Hope has some 24h disc hubs that are 15mm thru axle compatible. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/thepatioset/IMG_0084.jpg
Just pop the end caps off and replace them with the 15mm caps.

pushstart

by pushstart

Ah, great to know. I have a couple sets of Hope Pro 2 (mtb) wheels, so I did a quick search for that model but only turned up 32h. I will check Hope out more thoroughly.

anj

by anj

Any news on the quest for a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 disc fork? I have a Giant Defy frame that I'd love to discify by swapping out the fork (I recently heard that disc front, caliper back is called a 'mullet' :D). But the Defy frame happens to be 1 1/4 at the bottom... and disc forks that size seem hard to come by.

Before the Defy frame arrived I thought it would be 1 1/2 at the bottom (thought it would be a Giant OverDrive 2 headtube, turns out it was a OverDrive 1), and already ordered a disc fork (the one from this frame: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 23417.html) with that sizing. The fork looks great and is very light, am very bummed that I won't be able to use it with the Defy frame. No way I can make it work somehow? I know that there are conversion headsets that allow to use a tapered fork with a straight 1 1/8 headtube (by putting the headset below the headtube), does something like that also exist for the 1 1/4 headtube with 1 1/2 steerer combination? Or (and I am aware that this might sound idiotic) since I noticed that there was some space left between the 1 1/2 steerer and the 1 1/4 headtube - are there maybe thinner bearings that I can use to make it work? E.g. 3.5mm instead of 7mm thick? I am aware that this might make the bearings rather fragile.

Grateful for any insight on this! Would be annoyed if I had to send back this pretty fork!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Burls has some of the above forks. Just google burls frames.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I thought the Focus bikes (as pictured above) use 1 1/4" tapered steerers?

anj

by anj

Great stuff, bm0p700f - Burls seem to have the perfect fork indeed! Just sent them an inquiry.
And UpFromOne - is that Focus already out? I thought it was a prototype only. And I cannot seem to find any info on the headtube dimensions for it.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

This article on the Mares CX frame, but it mentions the 1 1/4" spec.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/focus-mares-cx-2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'm still running that St. John Street Cycles disc fork on my old Storck, at 600+ g have not yet found a lighter disc fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer.

I have another frame with a 1 1/4" taper, would love to secure a light disc fork for that.

I've even heard of 1 3/8" tapered steerers in addition to the 1 1/2"...this is almost as bad as BB "standards"!