Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

crank & fail...right...

Wish I was strong enough to crack my System Six after 7 seasons of abuse, including two busted wheels, two broken saddles, miles and miles of dirt roads etc, all while supporting my 180+ lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

ALL brands of frames have issues from time to time. I don't think anyone here is saying that Cannondales are prone to cracking. It's just that someone at some point coined the term "Crack and Fail" because they had an issue with their bike and it was catchy. The point being, that saying all Cannondales are prone to cracking is as ludicrous a statement as saying all Cervelos are prone to cracking. Don't take it personally, "Crack and Fails" are nice bikes :wink: .

It's also as silly as saying my bike won't crack it's a Cannondale!

Waaaaay off topic now, sorry, I'm out...

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well put. Thanks, Merka

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

And people wonder why putting carbon parts in certain locations are problematic?

I don't want a carbon chainring, cassette, or chain. And my cables should be made of some type of steel, not a few strands of carbon fiber.

Some things just don't make sense, a cassette with any carbon and not metal is one of those things.

I don't care if this is called weight weenies, but reliability and safety should be near the top of the list, not weight.

Get a $60 Ultegra cassette, it might weigh a touch more, but it works perfect.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The ultegra 11 speed cassettes have the composite carrier too.

Here's a picture of the 19 and 21 tooth cogs of a brand new Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette (ready to explode in my hand!):

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

This thread makes me laugh, 3 pages, a link to a second forum and neither show a DA9000 failed cassette, If I was on my 3rd cassette I certainly would have some photos on hand to prepare my case against shimano.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TrekUk wrote:This thread makes me laugh, 3 pages, a link to a second forum and neither show a DA9000 failed cassette, If I was on my 3rd cassette I certainly would have some photos on hand to prepare my case against shimano.

Last time I checked this is a bike forum and not a court of arbitration. I don't know what 'case' you're talking about. If anyone wants to sue Shimano this is certainly not the place to do it. I think the original poster wanted to share his experiences and to see if others have the same problem. Indeed others do.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

the claims of catastrophic failures is yet to be seen, and if you were on your 3rd cassette in three weeks i'm sure you wouldn't be so forgiving. Finally its called sarcasm, I would not even bother wasting my time suing shimano.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

aerozy

by aerozy

I have two da9000 cassettes on two bikes that creak as hell. I initially thought it could be my pressfit BB. Replaced that this week and the dam bike still creaks so Im now pretty sure its the cassette.

I admit I didnt put any grease on the threads. Didnt think it was necessary. Wasnt a problem with the zillion DA7800 cassettes Ive used in the past
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Never greased my splines, cassette torqued down properly, no noise. I'm still a bit skeptical that this is the issue.

by 4914

...I have pictures of all three cassettes I have broken in the last month, but I cant seem to upload them to this forum.... any tips?
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have no problems but there is definitely an issue for many.
Just to clarify without going step by step covering the greasing of threads and torqueing correctly and
re-torqueing afterwards and everything else... I have done everything to the letter, besides that. My first job was in a bike shop when I was 13 and I was building wheels in no time and doing anything else. I raced bmx for 8 years and was a track sprinter from 92 to 2000. four of those representing Australia. I'm not trying to big it up. I just want to make it clear that I know how to treat a bike and fix anything on a bike so believe it or not there is a problem with this product.. do I have to have an account or something to attach the pictures?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Sounds like you should change the thread title then.

PSM

by PSM

Picasa ande then copy address between: [img]....[/img]

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

4914 wrote:...I have pictures of all three cassettes I have broken in the last month, but I cant seem to upload them to this forum.... any tips?

You don't upload, you link to an URL.

So, the pictures have to be on Flickr or whatever.

In "full editor" mode in the reply box there is an "IMG" tag. Hit this, and then paste the URL of the image.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ave

by ave

I wonder what did all the pros use in all the races this year?
I don't think that they went out to buy sram cassettes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com