Storck Scenario Carbon 0.9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Villadsen

by Villadsen

was at my LBS today, actually trying to buy this frame. And then he was telling me that there is a maximum rider weight limit of 75kg for this frame imposed by Storck. Somehow it didn't sound very convinsing so I became unsure if it was true or if it was just because he wanted to sell me something he already had in stock. Anybody in the forum who can confirm this weight limit? I am 82 kg and would take a size M. Anybody who is already is riding the 0.9 with some experience?

martin

by martin

Villadsen wrote:was at my LBS today, actually trying to buy this frame. And then he was telling me that there is a maximum rider weight limit of 75kg for this frame imposed by Storck. Somehow it didn't sound very convinsing so I became unsure if it was true or if it was just because he wanted to sell me something he already had in stock. Anybody in the forum who can confirm this weight limit? I am 82 kg and would take a size M. Anybody who is already is riding the 0.9 with some experience?

Why don't you just contact Storck directly and ask them youself? the contact E-Mail is on their website; I had talked to them a while ago and had only the best experience. If they shouldn't be able to help you in english (which would amaze me since their alloy frames are produced by Kinesis in US), drop me a line.

A while ago Markus Storck himself participated in german speaking "Tour" forum in a thread about carbon frames. I'll quote one of his postings here, it might be interesting, even if it is not exactly an answer to your question:
(One of the participants had asked whether he could ride the 0.9 safely and said he was currently using a Colnago C40 which he liked:)

my clumsy translation first:
Markus Storck wrote:"80-90% of our customers buy the C1.1. Its stiffness is higher. So it is the better choice for most riders (it isn't always about 150 Gramm).
Answering XXX's question: At 72 kg and a height of 1,92 it would be no problem at all to ride a Scenario C0.9. The downtube of the Scenario Carbon family is proportional (55 and 59) and in size 63 also the upper tube and the steering tube. That way we receive a higher stiffness in the steering tube area and in the BB area according to the height of the frame. This makes the 63 cm Scenario C1.1 look very sturdy and it makes better proportions for a frame that size. That might look strange at first sight, but the taller riders will be happy about that! By the way, in my opinion the Colnago C40 has been the reference in carbon frames for years!"

the part about the "proportional geometry" might sound clumsy - my limited knowledge of english might multiply the fact that Markus' writing is not very clear about that in the first place... i understand it that way that they use more layers of CFK for larger frames, up to framesize 59 only at the downtube, for larger sizes on down tube, upper tube and steering tube.

(this is something that few carbon frame makers do, as it causes the production to become more expensive AFAIK)

That's the german text, the whole thread can be seen at
http://dk-community.de/tour/showthread. ... adid=16534

Markus Storck wrote:"Der C1.1 wird zu 80-90% von den Kunden gekauft. Der C1.1 die höheren Steifigkeitswerte. Für viele Fahrer die bessere Wahl (es kommt ja auch nicht immer auf rund 150 Gramm an).
Nun aber zur Frage von XXX: Bei 72 kg bei 1,92 wäre es überhaupt kein Problem ein Scenario C0.9 zu fahren. Die Scenario Carbon Modelle haben ein proportionales Verhältnis des Unterrohres (55 und 59) und bei 63 auch zusätzlich des Oberrohres und Steuerrohrbereiches. Dadurch erzielen wir eine höhere Lenkkopf und Tretlager Steifigkeit passend zur Rahmenhöhe. Der 63 cm Scenario C1.1 sieht brachial aus und wirkt viel gefälliger zur 63iger Rahmenhöhe. Auf den ersten Blick ist er aber für viele sicher gewöhnungsbedürftig aus. Aber die großen Fahrer wird es freuen! Meiner Meinung nach war übrigens der Colnago C40 über Jahre die Messlatte im Carbonrahmen-Bereich."
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Naturally I will ask Stock about this (in German), however I find that there is a lot of good knowledge available in this forum where it is possible to get an unbiased/objective opinion.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

what is the frame weight of a 0.9 frame???

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

cyclemanpat wrote:what is the frame weight of a 0.9 frame???

Claimed to weigh 985 g (55 cm, bare frame excl. headset).
Image Image

veldt01

by veldt01

Take the advice of you bike dealer.

Markus Storck is very serious with his advice! If you need a frame this light: take the Scott with the Aero fork (guaranteed up to 200 lbs). If not take the Storck 1.1 if your weight is anything more than 150 lbs. The same goes for the Stilletto fork (the light up to 150 lbs else the regular Stiletto would be the better choice).
The 0.9 is more a gimmick to show that storck can offer a light carbon frame the most of us however will be happier with the 1.1 (more stiffnes/cheaper)

regards Robert.

Villadsen

by Villadsen

In the Tour forum I found this satement from Mr Storck himself:
wir haben eigentlich für die Rahmen Gewichtempfehlungen:
Scenario Pro und Race zum Beispiel ohne Begrenzung. Scenario Light , C 0.9 und die Stieltto Light (in unserer Unterlagen steht 75Kg, aber wir haben sehr viele schwerere Fahrer die mit der Gabel auch unterwegs sind) würde ich bis 85 Kg emfehlen. Der C1.1 hat keine Problem mit Fahrer bis 120 Kg. Alles über 120 Kg ist sicher am besten auf einem Scenario Race oder Pro aufgehoben. Diese Modelle haben höhere Steifgkeitswerte.
Wir haben den C1.1 beim Prüfinstitut www.efbe.de in der höchsten Prüfklasse erfolgreich testen lassen!
Gruß
Markus
For those not familiar with German he is basically saying that they do have weight recommandations for the c 0.9 and the Stiletto Light at 75 kg in their sales material. Interestingly he goes on saying that they have riders much heavier using these pieces and he would recommend them up to 85kg. C 1.1 up to 120 kg. Above 120 you need a Scenario Pro or Race (and a diet). He finishes by saying that the C 1.1 has been sucessfully tested by EFBF to the highest standards.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Maybe also because they aren't available yet?
Ride lightly!

mark_lucovsky

by mark_lucovsky

After reading thru this forum, I decided to ask for a definitive answer on any weight limit on the scenario 0.9. (I am purchasing a 0.9 and weigh 190lbs)

Here is the response direct from storck:

If you like the feel of the 0.9 there is no reason not to ride it. Storck makes the larger frame sizes stiffer using more layers and different tubing sizes for both models. The purpose for the two models is personal preference, the C1.1 is stiffer than the C0.9....that is why it is a different model. The weight of the frame is based on an average frame in size 55cm (minus 40g for the headcups that are already installed)

In general "climbers" like the C0.9 still stiffer than most competitors frames but lighter, "sprinters" who what the absolute stiffest frame but don't care if it's 150 grams heavier tend to choose the C1.1. You should ride what feels good to you.

Both the frames have been tested by the EFBE at over 100,000 cycles at high loads. The 0.9 or the 1.1 are guaranteed for 5 years against manufacturing defects and there is no weight limit imposed on the frames. If Markus and I thought it was a problem, there would be limits...the only product with a weight limit is the Stiletto Light fork at 80kg (176 lbs) but there are guys at 185 riding them in crits for over 3 years without problems......there is always some extra margin even with limits. We also have the normal Stiletto without limits....these forks have been out since 1995 with no failures!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I think the only frame I would replace my Storck with is a new offering from them.

Makes me sound like a Serotta owner....sheesh. :shock:
Ride lightly!

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Just got sent this.
Attachments
Storck1.JPG
Last edited by Ye Olde Balde One on Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

need to scan it in a bigger size, if possible?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Spy, you probably can't read it, it's in German!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Frankie - B wrote:Spy, you probably can't read it, it's in German!

Das ist ja ein ganz geiles Rad 8)
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com