"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

It's the same reason Froome didn't have a contract during the Vuelta in 2011.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froomes ... r-interest
Froome and Carera has been in talks with Team Sky since July about a new contract for 2012 but the British team has been dragging its heels as it undergoes a significant evolution to its line-up for 2012.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

On a side note, the main Eurosport announcer (not Kelly, but Kirby) has started pronouncing "Astana" in a cadence much closer to how it should be pronounced. Obviously his accent still makes it different from a Kazakh pronouncing it, but he has the correct cadence. Nice! :)

Kelly still pronounces it way, way off.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

go horner go!!
Happy Trails !!!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

17:43:37 CEST

Horner cruises through the red kite one minute down on Elissonde but 20 seconds up on Nibali. The 41-year-old is about to seal the most improbable of Vuelta victories.

Horner's lead over Nibali is out to 17 seconds as he dances up a 21% gradient and moves past the last survivors of the chasing group.

1.7km remaining from 142.2km

17:40:38 CEST

Chris Horner looks to be riding to Vuelta a Espana victory. On the steepest section of the Angliru, Horner manages to edge his way clear of Nibali. Nibali sits heavily into the saddle and the gap begins to open.
Last edited by stella-azzurra on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The French have had a great Vuelta, non?
Perhaps the lack of pressure compared to the Tour helped?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

17:47:45 CEST

Horner lies on the tarmac after crossing the line, and is then helped towards a tent near the podium area by a soigneur and press officer Philippe Maertens. Nibali will finish second overall, while Alejandro Valverde will claim the third step on the podium.
17:46:28 CEST

It's hard to believe what we've just seen. Chris Horner has dropped Vincenzo Nibali on the Angliru to win the Vuelta a Espana at the age of 41.
17:45:38 CEST

Nibali was caught by Valverde and Rodriguez in the finale. They cross the line 54 seconds down, with Valverde taking the sprint for third.
17:45:00 CEST

Kenny Elissonde (FDJ) wins on the Angliru. Chris Horner takes second place 26 seconds down and he has sealed the Vuelta a Espana.

--cyclingnews
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ryker

by ryker

Mind = Blown

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Horner to drink ceremonial glass of Geritol during final stage?

Hope there's no PEDs in that.

gravity

by gravity

Unbelievable! Kudos to Nibali for putting up a good show. Class act from a class guy.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Anyone who picked Horner for the win? Can you tell us why?

Oh it's not over yet right?

General classification after stage 20 Result
1 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 81:52:01
2 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:37
3 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:38
4 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:03:22
5 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:07:11

C'mon the finishing times in the top 4 are well distributed :lol:

airwise

by airwise

Very disappointed to watch that display in 2013. Does anyone know how many out of competition tests Horner has been subjected to this year?

Geoff

by Geoff

How 'bout that fabulous race in beautiful Quebec City! Kudos to the people of the City of Quebec for a great race.

airwise

by airwise

tonytourist wrote:It's the same reason Froome didn't have a contract during the Vuelta in 2011.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froomes ... r-interest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froome and Carera has been in talks with Team Sky since July about a new contract for 2012 but the British team has been dragging its heels as it undergoes a significant evolution to its line-up for 2012.

I wasn't aware that Horner had been in ongoing negotiations. I was under the impression that he was unlikely to be with Trek in 2014.

I guess with record breaking VAM figures, they would be mad to drop him now....

spartan

by spartan

epic stage. will go down in history books. bartali/coppi or anquetil/poppou..first time the old guy won climbing duel.
imho nibali attacked too soon. should have tried to just follow horner and sprint for bonus seconds.

btw why has no one mentioned the team the nibali rides for ? astana--> vino. last year a domestique kazak won a classic. been completely invisible since.
horner has always shown class. best rider on the us circuit for 5+years before racing in europe. i remember him helping evans on lotto.
he looked stronger than him on the climbs. hope he is clean..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

airwise wrote:Very disappointed to watch that display in 2013. Does anyone know how many out of competition tests Horner has been subjected to this year?

Wow. All I need to do is replace the name "Horner" with "Froome," then cite your vitriol against others back in July - of this very same year - and the hypocrisy would beyond laughable.

I'm not stating Horner is any more or less clean than Froome, or any others, but what I am pointing at is the inconsistencies of balance in your approach. Bias much?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com