New member from Melbourne and a new Storck Scentron Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

So I have made a few posts in this forum, mostly questions and some responses, and have been amazed at the information freely given. I do feel a little out of my depth at times but learning is all part of the fun. I wouldn't call myself a newbie to bikes per se but forum participation is a new thing to me. I have always enjoyed the post your ride/build threads that included a story and explanations and observations as to why certain parts were sourced so here is my attempt.

I am from Melbourne, Australia and have been riding a Stevens SLR around for the last couple of years. I am from a MTB back ground and moved across to Road on an entry level bike and this signaled my intention to look seriously at riding on the road. It was my first roadie build from the frame up and sourced parts from all over. A quick spec list is Stevens SLR, Sram Red (force cranks), Dura Ace C50's, 3T Ltd Stem, Pro Bars, Fizik Kurve saddle.

SavedPicture by back_laid80, on Flickr

I really dig this frame, it is surprisingly agile, has great power transfer and is comfortable. Longest ride on this was 12+ hours. I have just had an issue with cable friction and poor shift quality. As I started to race on the road this became even more noticeable and I began thinking about a new ride. I had always been keen on a Storck but the price in Australia had pushed that into being a pipe dream, through my usual internet wanderings I came across a sale on the Storck Scentron and the seed was planted to move across to Di2 at the same time. Fortune was about the shine on me as I was hesitant at not being able to test ride or see one in the flesh, when a 'as new' Scenario came up for sale second hand in my area. It was a 55cm and a price too good to pass up, so in came this. Full Ultegra build (wheels inc) with a FSA K Force post and Pro Logo Scratch saddle.

SavedPicture (1) by back_laid80, on Flickr

This photo was taken around Melbourne on the first ride out to test position. The steerer has since been trimmed and is essentially the same as seen here. The ride is different, I would describe it as solid, great power transfer and certainly rails a line. Bumps and road rough road surface don;t seem to cause it any problems at all, not even a sound or rattle. Its quite hard to describe. It rolls along beautifully and seems assured, I love that feeling but to me it doesn't feel exciting in the sense of riding something with really agile steering. Probably a lay mans way of putting it and might make it sound 'dead' but its just very different and to me, confidence inspiring.

It was fortuitous to test ride the 55cm as for all round riding its probably a little smaller than I would like. Great for crits and short rides but a little larger would add to the comfort. So I ended up purchasing a Storck Scentron in a 57. This arrived today.

WP_001268 by back_laid80, on Flickr

I have most of the parts but the final build list should look something as follows:

Frame Storck Scentron
Fork Stilletto 340
Stem 3T Arx Ltd
Handlebars Zipp Vuka Sprint
Seat Post Bontrager XXX Lite (stripped to matte finish)
Saddle Fizik Arione CX (white with blue stripe)
Shifters Ultegra Di2
FD Ultegra Di2
RD Ultegra Di2
Cranks Rotor 3D
Chainrings O-Symetric
C/ring Bolts Token Ano
Cassette Ultegra 10 Speed
Chain Ultegra 10 Speed
Pedals Speed Play Zero
Bar Tape Lizard Skin DSP (white)
Brake Cable Alligator I-Link (black)
Brake Caliper Zero Gravity (black)
Brake Pads Carbon Pads
Wheels PowerTap/Enve with Sapim CX-Ray
BB Generic Alloy w/ ceramic bearings
Bottle Cages Bontrager XXX lite (stripped to matte finish)
Tyres Continental Sprinter

I had toyed with the idea of going Campagnolo Record EPS, however being able to pick up the Ultegra Di2 for a steal meant I could purchase the intended wheelset. The slight weight penalty (I know this is WW don;t shoot me) was something I could live with. I have a bit of a grinder riding style with a natural cadence in the high 80's low 90's I can push faster but is not my natural state so am interested to see if the O-Symetric's will suit. As I bought the cranks with no rings, the O-Symetrics were actually the cheapest option for new rings so won;t cry if they don't work out.

Hopefully this comes together as well as I see it in my head. I'll post updates as it comes together.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by Fixie82 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:welcome:

Your pictures look awesome... here, I fixed the links for you, in order:

I look forward to seeing your new build completed!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

That Storck really is a beauty. A fabulous looking frame. I agree great photos. Very artistic!

kgt

by kgt

Welcome!
I like the Stevens more BTW.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome:

Interested in seeing the final build!

fletch62

by fletch62

What did you do with the Stevens frame?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am pretty excited as well to see this build up. I will post some more pictures soon as soon as I work out how to do it properly. Quick question, I had a look at the FAQ and it said to paste the BB code for pictures which is what I did. I also tried the img option and pasting the URL and other links but each time the preview showed images that wouldn't load. Anyone mind running me through the correct way to do it? I did a search but all it turns up is lovely pics of bikes.

Fletch - the Stevens is currently for sale as a frame only or with groupset (Ultegra or Sram Red)

Cheers

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If you are using flickr, there are a few methods - my preferred is to get to the actual 'download' link of the image at the size you specify and use that address in between the [img] tags.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks guys, going to try tappatalk as well and see hot it goes. I have been waiting for the wheels to arrive but here are some part shots that I have at the moment.

Zero Gravity, however am tossing up if I should move across to the negative g model (black/white finish) for a little more power.

Rotor 3D, to be paired with Osymetric 54/44 rings.

Zipp Vuka Sprint, which I am hoping will work with the I-link cables. Would also like to make these a matt finish but will see how the. Bottle cages turn out first.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Things are progressing, these turned up today. Edge 50mm Tubular rims, laced with Sapim CX Ray spokes to Cycleops Powertap Hubs. Rear hub is the SLC+ and front is SL I believe, both have the very fancy looking carbon inserts/cut aways. First feel out of the box is that they are very light and roll very smoothly. Tyres will be Vittoria Corsa CX as supplied with the wheels, including a spare tyre. I usually run Conti Sprinters so will see how these perform.

WP_001288 by Fixie82, on Flickr

WP_001287 by Fixie82, on Flickr

WP_001289 by Fixie82, on Flickr

Excited for the last little bits to start trickling in.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Update time, seatpost has arrived and a few other little bits and pieces. I have sold the Zero Gravity brakeset and am now looking at purchasing either a set of Negative G or am tempted by the Bontrager XXX Speedlimit, anyone have any input? I am thinking White?black to keep the look going but have been toying with the idea of going out on a limb and slapping some Red Negative G's on there. They will stand out and there some little bits of red in the colour scheme. I don't mind having the odd bit of flair here and there. Will be keeping the thought processes moving for sure.

Anyway some update pics here, threw some bits and pieces on to get an idea of how it is shaping up. I am digging the look right now, the tubes are so burly looking. Excuse the crappy pics, they were taken in a small room at work and not really my preferred back drop but I didn't want to take it outside just yet. Also the seat post is simply inserted to the minimum insertion is not at the correct height.

SavedPicture (3) by Fixie82, on Flickr

SavedPicture (2) by Fixie82, on Flickr

53x12

by 53x12

Fixie, how is the Scentron build coming a long? I'm curious to see the final build and hear what you think of the frame. Seems like a very solid frame for the money.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Fixie82

by Fixie82

53x12 - build has stalled the last couple of weeks as I finish off my Uni work for the year and oversee a building project at work. In between I have been sanding the cages back to a Matt finish and getting some other bits and pieces finalised like stem and brake choices.

I too am excited to see how it rides, the downtube in particular is massive so should hopefully be very stiff.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Well the build has resumed but I have been taking my time with it and making sure everything is how I want it. As usual when building from the frame up little issues always seem to bob up. I started routing the electronic cabling and with some tape and coat hanger wire it went through relatively hassle free. Cables were joined up to the junction box and fed into the down tube, as the bottom bracket doesn't have a plastic sleeve to cover the axle I was concerned that the cables might move when riding and suffer damage as a result. A little thinking time and I cut out a piece of this plastic coated board from the bottom of a reusable shopping bag.

IMG_0072 by Fixie82, on Flickr

This is hard wearing and flexible enough to cover the wires in the bottom bracket, easy to remove as well and with a little fine tuning fit snuggly.

I purchased the UDi2 from ProBike Kit and did not get a choice of battery holder so it needed to be shortened and machined out to fit the bolt heads. This is with a mate right now getting the necessary work completed. I made a start to help the process.

IMG_0075 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0076 by Fixie82, on Flickr

Next was the osymetric fitment, I was unable to get enough height from the front derailleur mount to prevent fouling so I purchased a new mount and did some filing to enable more room to move. I wasn't game to do it to the stock mount so used one from a Giant Trinity Advanced which luckily has the same bolt placement.

IMG_0073 by Fixie82, on Flickr

This is pre filing, its on now and works a treat.

I have also started the sanding process on the bottle cages etc. Its boring and dirty work and needs a sunny day with beer for me to really get into it

IMG_0074 by Fixie82, on Flickr

I was umming and ahhing about what stem to use and saw a post from Crashracer here with a custom made bar/stem combo, I was looking at the Predator Major Tom and searching for info on that particular combo, when Crashracers combo popped up. Full credit that guy is an amazing and has been answering my questions about the process and parts. I have managed to procure a System Six stem and have put it on to see how I like it. Hopefully I will have the time and nouse to make my own combo with the instructions provided by Crashracer if I like the aesthetic and can nail down the fit. For the time being it will be run like this.

Things still to do:

Decide on brake callipers - custom white Dura Ace 7970 might be the go, or some Revl's. There is also a guy here selling a set of THM forks from the Stock Fascenario 0.6 with the integrated brakes and if he drops on price I might jump on that. If I have everything else done and still no decision I will just run the ultegra's until I can make my mind up.
Sand stem, handlebar and seat post to match the matt finish of the frame.

At the moment its sitting in my office making me feel guilty about the slow progress

IMG_0088 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0090 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0089 by Fixie82, on Flickr

Fixie82

by Fixie82

As per usual I have been a bit slack but am getting stuck into the build proper. Below are some weight pics that might be of interest, other items not in the pics were already installed or are fairly standard.

I am playing around with making the cable routing neat, took a few routines through the Zipp Vuka to come at the best solution but I think I have it now. My only concern is aesthetically, the rear brake cable looks extra long but this is the shortest I can make it while still allowing full rotation of the bars. Also has anyone else used iLinks without the ferrules? They do not fit well in the Internal routing housing, I am going to experiment with some others I have lying around but may leave them off entirely as the cables fit snugly without them. I am using the 4mm ferrules with the calipers. See below for the routing as is, excuse the background.

Here is the latest progress pic with the sanded components.

Hoping to finish tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com