Fausto Coppi steel aero bike project 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hi guys,

After getting my hands on a rather odd looking Concorde Squadra frameset in spring (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=114690 I learned that Columbus didn't just do one aerodynamic steel tubeset (AIR), but two (Ego). Yesterday I learned Columbus also did a third (Neuron Megatube). As far as I know only Fausto Coppi used it and I got my hands on one; a very nice one if I say so myself :D .

The frame came as a complete bike built up with an Ultegra 6500 groupset and some Shamal-style FIR rims. I will take off the parts tomorrow and take some proper pictures of the frame and get you the weight. For now, let me know what you think!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have an abnormal dislike of the color yellow, but I am willing to look way beyond that for this frameset.
Stunning lines. Elegant seat binder area as well.
I am tuning into this thread.
Where do you find these gems?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I am not exactly a fan of yellow either, but without the red details (wheels and bar tape) it actually looks quite nice. And I think it will look even better with black components on.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What? Yellow is the best colour for vintage frames!

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

'I have an abnormal dislike of the color yellow'

LOL-----I love yellow :thumbup: ---I would be happy with that bike just the way it is-------I'm sure SWijland will improve the components but I think she's pretty.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I am sure this frameset will blow us away once SWijland is finished with it.

No one dinged him on the thrown chain yet... :P

civdic

by civdic

Nice looking frame accept for the awkward looking headset to head tube transition. My friend had the same/similar frame but labeled Concorde. A local shop has a frame that looks identical with Rossin decals. I'm wondering if they were all produced around the same time?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Below are a couple of pics of the frameset, without the parts on it. After taking the pictures, I weighed in the frame and the fork and my kitchen scale came to 2031 grams for the frame and 716 for the fork. Not to bad, considering the huge diameter tubing used for the frame.

I already built it up again with a Campy groupset that I had lying around, but it is only temporarily until I found something nicer.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

With the size of those tubes it should be very stiff I would think. Hope it's not too harsh to be enjoyable.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

My goal is a stiff bike, so I am hoping the frame will deliver. The rear end isn't that oversized though, so I don't expect it to be very harsh.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

The Frame alone looks so much nicer than with the red wheels and parts :)

A pic from the whole bike?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Nice frame. Looking forward to seeing it built up, even in its current temporary form.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I finished building up the frame today. Although it looks much better with the Campagnolo Centaur groupset compared to the Ultegra groupset, it is still nowhere near where I would like it to be. Obviously it needs a different saddle (and bar tape), but I am also thinking that the black chain rings on the cranks are too much black for the frame.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Dear SWijland-----I have often complimented your bikes so don't take this the wrong way but I liked it very much in it's gaudier form.

Maybe I should have been more attracted to showgirls and hookers but that former colour combo really caught my eye----lol----

especially after so many stealth bikes----they kind of look oppressively dull to me except for a few that are extraordinarily well done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

It is just a temporarily built, until I find some nicer parts 8) .