"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Weight it, please! ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ultyguy wrote:On the subject of Wiggo and SKY, this turned up at the office today. Won at auction, supposedly ridden by Wiggo at the Tour last year but seeing as how it's a Dogma2, I doubt that (think he only rode the newer 65). All those nitpicks aside, auction was for fallen Olympic gold medalist sailor Andrew Simpson, may he rest in peace.Image

i'm surprised fashion police hasn't yet coped with those green bottles... yuck
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

That's not his bike. Wrong cranks/rings, he doesn't run traditional bars, and he runs a 140 stem.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Fiery

by Fiery

Zitter wrote:I guess innocent until proven guilty doesn't exist everywhere. He gives you no cause to doubt his performance when having proven that he's capable at performing at the top level before and he releases all his data to boot. He's almost 42, but then again, Jens is still performing spectacularly and you're not yelling and pointing fingers at him. Horner trains in San Diego all the time and is the nicest guy in the world and I would never accuse him of doping until I see a positive test. I would be more suspicious of Valverde seeing he actually has been caught doping before, but then again, no positive test and no reason to doubt, so I keep my mouth shut. All this meaningless speculation does nothing except to damage the sport.

As far as the racing goes, chapeau to Kiriyenka for holding off those chasers so spectacularly. gives Sky a consolation prize to their otherwise dismal vuelta

Jens is not in the best form of his life at almost 42. In fact, his results have been decreasing noticeably in the last few years and he himself writes about the changing priorities as his abilities wane with age.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@ultyguy - did you win the auction or one of your co-workers?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

airwise wrote:I'm really sorry but Horner reminds me a lot if another American grand tour winner. Purito, Nibali and Valverde grovelling up to the finish in pursuit of a 42 year old after a contract who looks like he's out on a group 2 club ride? Please!

So any exceptional performance warrants suspicion and innuendo of PED use... oh right unless they ride for a Brit team.

Liggero

by Liggero

Right
Happy Trails !!!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I thought the bottles were a funny touch 'ooh, complete with Wiggo slobber!' obviously the rings are different, as are the wheels, not sure on the bars. Apparently there's an authentication certificate blah blah, the guy who bought it is massive in sailing and was very close with Andrew Smith, he doesn't know squat about cycling, the gesture on his part was much more to help out Andrew's family, not anything to do with the bike.

However, the funniest weightweenies part of the whole thing was how everyone was amazed at how light it was 'yes, it's only 6.8kg' as if that's something special :-D

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

petepeterson wrote:
airwise wrote:I'm really sorry but Horner reminds me a lot if another American grand tour winner. Purito, Nibali and Valverde grovelling up to the finish in pursuit of a 42 year old after a contract who looks like he's out on a group 2 club ride? Please!

I'm 30 and seeing 41 YO's like Voigt and Horner fly (doped or not) gives me hope: I still have some (cycling) life left :lol:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am 42 and in better shape than I was half a lifetime ago. I was fit then... and pretty fast. But I didn't know anything about training, nutrition, or how to take care of my body. If I encountered my 21-year-old self on the road today, I could kick his (my) ass on any terrain just due to maturity and experience... knowing my limits and my strengths.

pastronef

by pastronef

Liggero wrote:Now back to interesting stuff, i was wondering how is new tech evolving in racing;

- Are now most riders in 25mm tires now for real? all movistar and euskaltel are still in 23mm.
- What about oval rings? are they disappearing? it's perhaps an sponsor thing?
- What about bont shoes? seems like sidi is still king, with the latest s-works coming strong too.
- Any rider/team still in non electronic groupset for regular stages (not time trials), apart from sram teams?

Cheers!! no more doping talk, there's no point I guess.

some Caja Rural riders, Millar, Froomey and other are using oval rings
S-Works shoes are coming very strong. Talansky, Santaromita, other BMC riders, some FDJ guys and others are using undranded S-works shoes
Nibali and Fuglsang are using mechanical groups, Net-App use mechanical Dura ace, IAM too

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

KWalker wrote:That's not his bike. Wrong cranks/rings, he doesn't run traditional bars, and he runs a 140 stem.

There must be hundreds of Wiggins Tour Winning Bikes in existance! It's getting past a joke now.

I even know of a Black / White Dogma that has been sold by Sky as his Olympic road race bike.

Love how their obsession with keeping Gatorade on side even goes as far as sticking the bottles on sale bikes too.

At least it was for charity but he might be embarrassed if he tried to sell it on.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Not a new thing. St James (Santiago) must have had 17 legs and arms the number of relics of his bones in various catholic churches around the world!
I wonder if it wasnt a bike "ridden by BW to pop down to the shops once". Think Id prefer that to his number one tdF bike on the basis the TdF bike could be knackered after 3500kms of racing..

airwise

by airwise

petepeterson wrote:So any exceptional performance warrants suspicion and innuendo of PED use... oh right unless they ride for a Brit team.

Not at all but the facts here are the guy is 42 years old, he's from a nation that hasn't produced a clean GT contender in thirty years, and he regularly hammered PED abusers in the States for years during the height of the doping era. Therefore, logic is used to make my sad conclusions. Nibali's comments post stage yesterday seemed to suggest he was thinking along similar lines.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:At least it was for charity but he might be embarrassed if he tried to sell it on.

I honestly couldn't say either way, but let's just say that this guy would never really have to be worried about that, and leave it at that ;)