Spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

So I'm due to finish my new build, however am yet to cut the steerer. Now I have a dilema. If I cut it to length with 5mm spacer above stem, when I come to upgrade Stem/headset down the line (I intend to), what happens if they are too large to allow said 5mm spacer? Should I stick a 10mm/2x5mms or 5+3mm on for now?

Opinions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

psycling

by psycling

I'd explore the market and and see how your current stem's stack height compares with other options out there. If you are on the large side, you probably don't need to leave tons of extra space. If you're on the small side, leave some room.

Having said that, when in doubt leave extra space. You can always cut it shorter later. Going the other way can be an expensive proposition.

Devon

by Devon

That's what I'm worried out. Stem will be slammed, so the debate is weather to add 5, 7 or 10 above it. I guess I may as well just go with 10 and cope with the ugliness for a few months.

psycling

by psycling

Yeah, if you know you'll be changing stems, then dealing with some extra steerer tube sticking out for a while seems like the best plan. Stack height can vary a fair bit. For example, there's about a 5mm difference between Thomson (36.07) and Enve (41). So leaving 10 now could potentially leave you with 5 down the road. If you *really* don't know what stem you'll be moving to, you might consider leaving more than 10, just to be extra safe.

Devon

by Devon

Good plan Batman. Thanks for the opinion. Maybe a 10 and a 3 would suffice. Will have a play around with some spare spacers and see what's what.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Important thing to consider--what's your steerer made of? If it's alloy, then it's not necessary to have a spacer above the stem.

Devon

by Devon

I plan to upgrade to carbon in the near future.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

So why don't manufacturers state stack heights in their product info?

And why don't manufacturers state on a spacer what size it is so as to save us the trouble of getting a ruler/Vernier out?

Really ... it is not Rocket Science.

boots2000

by boots2000

Leave 1-1.5cm on top if not sure.
Most stems are 38-43mm stack, Except Moots- they are 48mm.
Can always cut more-

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Why not just buy the stem now, treat yourself, then no need to worry ;)

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

sigismond0 wrote:Important thing to consider--what's your steerer made of? If it's alloy, then it's not necessary to have a spacer above the stem.

Yeah but a 5mm spacer above the stem looks pro :smartass:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Devon

by Devon

mattyb95 wrote:Why not just buy the stem now, treat yourself, then no need to worry ;)

I forgot to water my money tree and it died.

asphaltdude wrote:Yeah but a 5mm spacer above the stem looks pro :smartass:

:thumbup:

Devon

by Devon

That would be a good plan but I have no idea what I will go for. Depends entirely on what comes up for sale or is cheap at the time. :noidea:

I think I'll just go for 10mm above for now and get the bike working, then I can decide.

Devon

by Devon

In addition, a point that has been missed is allowance for headset. If I change my headset down the line could it not alter the amount of available steerer? I know literally nothing about headsets so I'm at a loss with this one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Depends on the headset. If its an external headset then possibly. If its a press fit internal headset like most new bikes these days, then no. I am always confused by the difference in manufacturer recommendations in regards to steerer above the stem. Cannondale specifically states NO steerer above the stem. Trek states there must be at least 5mm. Weird.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;