converting campag 11 braze on to clamp on and visceversa

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

s4life

by s4life

Maybe someone has the answer, because I haven't been able to find it anywhere.. I've seen people do this conversion for the record/chorus 10 speed versions, are these conversions possible in the new 11 speed systems? I've heard the Chorus 11 front derailleur has an integrated clamp, so I guess in that case it would be impossible right?.. is this also the case for Record 11 and Super Record 11?

Thank you!
Axel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

It used to be with 8, 9 and 10 speed Campy FDs that the integrated clamp was removeable via two small bolts. Take those bolts off and the clamp could be slid off the FD body and replaced/swapped out with the braze on attachment.
Later 10 speed and now 11 speed FDs seem to have all gone to pins that have no mounting bolt and that cannot be easily removed; trying to remove them might destroy the pin from what I see. This design change probably reduces weight a bit, but makes swapping FDs between different bikes more problematic. In general, I just buy braze on FDs and mate it with a light aftermarket FD clamp. The short answer is that I believe you can't easily convert the new Campy FDs from clamp-on to braze-on.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I'm afraid Stolichnaya is correct. In the current range only the 10s Veloce can be converted that way.

s4life

by s4life

Thank you very much. That's the info I was looking for.
I am trying to find a NOS SR11 2010 braze-on front derailleur but I can only find the clamped version or if braze-on, only 2012 and later :(
I'll just have to play the waiting game hehe

Axel

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You may be able to convert a veloce mech but you have to buy another front mech to do the conversion so what the point. All frames should have a braze on or buy a braze on adapter. that way you will never have this problem.

s4life

by s4life

bm0p700f wrote:You may be able to convert a veloce mech but you have to buy another front mech to do the conversion so what the point. All frames should have a braze on or buy a braze on adapter. that way you will never have this problem.

I don't have this problem. My problem is that it's really hard to find a braze-on NOS super record rear derailleur with the white logos, but there are plenty of those available in clamp format... Anyway I found one after a while, used in excellent shape, but it surely was the component that was the hardest to get...

gitsome

by gitsome

Does anyone know if 2007 Chorus front der, (clamp on) can be converted to braze on as well? I think/hope so. Im tired of the flimsy Record "carbon" one that has no rigidity and wanted to swap it to an all metal cage like the chorus.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@gitsome, yes no problem converting a 2007.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks. Also do you know then if the same 2007 Chorus clamp-on (to be converted to braze-on) was configured/optimized for stand+compact together (like Record was) or were there 2 separate cage designs for the Chorus?
Any info is very much appreciated
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.