so what are the lightest cx disc bikes ? (specs and pics)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

Hi,

as I'm worried about the extra weight of disk brakes, I will not upgrade to disks before weights will drop considerably.
So, I wonder how light a cx bike can be according to what the market/after-market offers now

Images would be very much appreciated
Last edited by vcnz on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Throw enough money at any bike and it will be light.

The new Super X and Ibis Hakkalugi will be light out of the box. If Scott makes a disc bike it should be light. The Super X is probably the best, lightest disc frame. I think Cannondale and it's pro team are smarter than just about everyone else.
Stans has carbon mtn rims now. I'm sure they'll have cross/road rims in 2014. By 2015 you'll see 15 pound disc cross bikes.

grover

by grover

I just built this up. 2014 Apollo Arctec CX in a 56cm. It was 7.57kg. Frame and fork weighed 1530grams.

SRAM S700 levers/brakes with X.0 Type 2 short cage rear mech
Old SRAM Red crankset with 42tooth XX1 profile single ring (made by Fetha components)
SRAM PG1050 11-32 cassette, PC1051 chain
Easton EC90 bars, EA90 stem, Syntace P6 Hiflex post, Lizard Skins DSP tape
Specialized Phenom 143mm Expert saddle, Shimano Deore XT M780 pedals
Notubes ZTR Race Gold wheelset with Michelin Mud2 30mm clinchers setup tubeless, end up measuring 34.8mm on the wide rim.

I race on tubs but I haven't weighed it with the race wheels. They'd save 200grams which is mostly the SRAM Red cassette, the wheels themselves are quite similar.

The only places I'd go lighter would be pedals, crankset, seat and maybe seatpost, although the comfort and clamp reliability of the post means it's probably staying on there.

Realistically I think 16 pounds 7.2-7.3kg is the sweet spot for a reliable disk cross bike at the moment without going to the super exotic bits and pieces. I don't doubt people can build lighter than that but I don't think it'd prove to be a reliable race bike.

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

I agree with limba, put enough money in at you'll get something that's rather light.

For minimal weight you'll definitely have to go carbon. My girlfriend has a stock CaadX disc with Ultegra and man is that thing heavy (it's probably something like 18lbs+ for a 44cm). Adding to the SuperX, Hakkalugi, and Addict, I would also consider the Specalized Crux (the Satin Carbon/Charcoal/Multi Keyline is a real beauty in person), the Ridley X-Night, and the Stevens Super Prestige. I see a lot of those major brands in the race circuit here in the North East.

Hydraulics seem to drop some weight compared to mechanicals as well. The Sram site lists a Red lever + caliper + hosing + 160mm rotor at ~450g per wheel (compared to ~200g for just the caliper for a BB7SL). I would probably avoid any of the mechanical - hydraulic adapters for the time being (such as the TRP Parabox) since they just add weight and fully integrated hydraulic systems are now readily available.

As with most cycling things, the newest stuff is usually the lightest (and the most expensive), so if you have the budget, you can get a light disc cross bike without much issue. Otherwise it might be tricky.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

i am working on a 6,8 Kilobike

vcnz

by vcnz

Elmar, we will look forward for pics.. please :-)

Anyway, I think the lightest cx disk frame at moment is the Ridley X-Night, which is the one I would go for as we speak.
I'm also looking forward to hear the weight of the Stevens SuperPrestige which is the most beautiful one for me and I like it too much, but don't know the weight and how it rides

cheers

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

About the x-night-Disc:
i dont believe the weight.
has anyone checked the truth?

I will post pictures next week

an older bike http://www.fotos.light-bikes.de/main.php?g2_itemId=12079

limba

by limba

I'll bet the Super X is lighter than the Ridley. Totally different geometry though so check that out before you buy either.

adhumston

by adhumston

I have a 53cm Hakkalugi Disc that I built using quality, but reliable equipment and it's in the 16-16.5lb (bathroom scale) range ready to ride. I plan on getting a good scale soon, so hopefully I'll have a better idea of exact weight.

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

adhumston wrote:I have a 53cm Hakkalugi Disc that I built using quality, but reliable equipment and it's in the 16-16.5lb (bathroom scale) range ready to ride. I plan on getting a good scale soon, so hopefully I'll have a better idea of exact weight.

I'd love to see your build list. I just built up a china cx 53cm frame (FR602 - 1125g frame, 400g fork) with:
SRAM Rival shifters, derailleurs
BHS MTB162/252 hubs, 32h H Plus Son Archetype Rims, Sapim Laser with brass spokes
TRP Spyre 160/160 brakes (full length housing front/rear)
KMC X10SL chain
SRAM Force GXP crank with 46/36 FSA rings
SRAM PG1070 11-28 cassette
Ritchey 110mm stem, Biomax 42cm drop bars, cork tape
Ritchey 34.9 WCS seat post, Generic 30g seat post clamp, Generic faux leather 220g saddle
Look Quartz pedals
Clement PDX front tire, Mud2 rear tire, lightweight butyl tubes
25 gram front titanium skewer, 70g Shimano XT rear skewer (couldn't use the matching ti rear since it was cut for a 130mm hub)

This currently weighs about 8.2 kg.
Future plans include getting 42 gram/pair titanium eBay skewers, a slightly lighter seat post clamp (not a good ww value, but I want to change colors), Ashima Ai2 160mm rotors, trimming the seat post, cutting down the fork steerer a little more, and switch to latex tubes. I think that'll get me below 8 kg.

I can't really make more dramatic improvements unless I get a race-only wheelset (carbon tubular, fewer spokes, more exotic hubs), switch to a 1x10/11 setup, and get a carbon saddle. But this bike doubles as a commuter so the latter two switches don't make too much sense.

More generally the weight gains going from canti to disc are straightforward. The wheels need to be a little stronger (a few more spokes, a beefier hub). The rims are currently a problem since only notubes is making a disc-only rim. There are a lot more option for 29er MTB disc-only rims. The disc calipers weigh more than the canti brakes. The cable runs have to be longer. In the future, hydraulic levers/calipers will get lighter and there will be more disc-only road rim options. So the disc penalty is a well over a pound right now. Eventually the disc penalty will get under a pound.

adhumston

by adhumston

dmcgoy wrote:
adhumston wrote:I have a 53cm Hakkalugi Disc that I built using quality, but reliable equipment and it's in the 16-16.5lb (bathroom scale) range ready to ride. I plan on getting a good scale soon, so hopefully I'll have a better idea of exact weight.

I'd love to see your build list.

53cm Ibis Hakkalugi
Easton ec90xc carbon clinchers
Bontrager CX0 tires (38c front/34c rear)
'13 Sram Red drivetrain -
50-34 172.5mm crank
shifters
med cage rear der
Yaw front der w Speen Umlenker
XX 11-32 cassette
KMC x10sl chain
Jagwires ripcord cables
Shimano CX75 brakes w Avid 160/140 discs
FSA K wing compact carbon bars
3T ARX Ltd stem
Thomson Masterpiece post
Prologo saddle
Lizard Skins 3.2 dsp bar tape (half wrap)
Sram Garmin mount
Blackburn Camber cages (2)
Eggbeaters pedals

I think that's everything. I could drop some weight in the bars if I wanted, but I am a big fan of the K-wings. The eggbeaters are just the standard models I had lying around, so I could drop a few pounds going with titanium spindles on them. The only other parts I may swap are the Easton skewers for some lighter titanium KCNC or similar.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the build. I really only use the bike as a Gravel Grinder, as I ride a lot of back roads here in Nebraska. I really love the gearing spread I have with the compact crank and the 11-32 cassette... It has been great the few times I've taken it on fire roads in CO, and I don't have to shift out of the big chainring around home. I'm still tinkering with the fit, and will make my final cuts on the seatpost and steer tube as well, so I'll drop a few more grams there.

limba

by limba

That's a great looking bike. Love the Lugi.

vcnz

by vcnz

As I thought, Stevens Superprestige Disc seems to be another good candidate from weight perspective. I just checked the claimed weight is 1.195 size 58, so I think the 54 should be around 1.140 gr.
If this is the real weight, the frame should compete with frames < 1.000 gr since the seat post is integrated. Looking forward for further information on this one as well...

MARLON

by MARLON

Why Nobody Namen the new giant tcx advanced?
BACK IN BLACK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

MARLON wrote:Why Nobody Namen the new giant tcx advanced?
That's a good point but other than the pro's, I don't think any of the new TCX's have yet made it into consumer's hands. Interestingly I am in the process of round two with Chinese open mold frames from Xiamen iPlay and finished the wife's IP-105-D in size 54 over the weekend. Bike came in at 7.6 kg (16.85 lbs) - frame was 1110 grams and build kit included Enve Fork & seat post, FSA OS-99 CSI stem in 9cm, FSA K-Wing Compact bars, Easton 110 Series Integrated headset, DA 7900 shifters & rear derailleur, DA 9000 front derailleur, Hollowgram SRM, Ultegra 6700 13-28 cassette, TRP Spyre SL mechanical disc brakes, Ashima Ai2 rotors, Selle Italia SLR Pro saddle, and 29er wheelset built on Light-Bicycle chinese open 28-hole mold rims, Pillar spokes, and Novatech D711/712SB hubs (1460 grams). Swap out the SRM for a regular hollowgram as well as change out the wheels with some bling ($$$) race wheels built on Enve or similar tubular rims and Tune or Extralite disc brake hubs and you could drop the total bike weight down another 300-400 grams.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"