Dura-Ace Di2 9070 - compatible with 10-speed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Picked up DA 9070 for my Noah because I wanted to drop some weight. Initially, I didn't buy a 11 spd cassette as I wanted to see if I could run it as 10 spd. I was running Ultegra 6070 prior to this.

I received the derailleurs (still waiting for the shifters to arrive) and installed them. For the rear, I tuned the derailleur on the 13t and used the lower limit screw to block off the 11th gear. Set the front up as normal. On the work stand, it appears to shift REALLY well, possibly as well as the 6070. I'm running a SRAM 1090 rear cassette and Quarq with the 9070. The chain is a KMC X10SL that is near the end of it's life. I ordered a KMC X11SL that will probably help the 9070 even more. Tomorrow I'll take it out and see how it shifts under load.

Super excited about dropping 118g (derailleurs only) and waiting to change to 11 spd till I'm ready to do the TT bike as well.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I am very interested to see how this works

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

So did a short ride today and it worked well. Had to tweak the limit screw a little to account for the auto trimming but that was it. No ghost shifting or shifts not completing. That said, this wasn't an all out effort but I did an opener, a sprint, and a couple of short steep ramps and no issues in any of it. Post ride I did this little video so you can see how it shifts.

http://youtu.be/_WxiCBsJEEU
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Instead of shifting gears continuously, how about keeping it in each gear for a while so we can hear how it sounds?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm under the impression that the limit screws on the Di2 is a mechanical and not an electrical stop. If the derailleur is already at the limit and you tried to shift to the 11th cog the motor will likely break.

sycfisher

by sycfisher

I didn't see any option to make 9070 RD a 10-speed compatible one in the programming software, but I guess you can do that by using limit screws as discussed above. if it is the wheels, I would switch to Campy cassette body to make it 11 compatible

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

So I installed the DA levers and also a KMC X11SL chain. The 11 spd chain shift about the same on the rear but didn't like the Rotor rings up front. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to shift cleanly up front. It would ghost shift or have a hard time engaging under load. Switched back to a 10 spd chain and it's fine again. I took another video. There is noise in the 12, 13, and 14 in the video. After the video I adjusted the rear down one click and that resolved most of that.

http://youtu.be/jFKsKiCZRTE
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

pdlpsher1 wrote:I'm under the impression that the limit screws on the Di2 is a mechanical and not an electrical stop. If the derailleur is already at the limit and you tried to shift to the 11th cog the motor will likely break.

No, the system stops pushing once it hits the limit. Otherwise it would constantly be straining against its limits.

I've worked on a system where a junior had to use the limits on a 6770 setup to block out the smallest 2 or 3 cogs. It made shifting weird since there were effectively some dead shifts, but it worked ok.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

MajorMantra wrote:No, the system stops pushing once it hits the limit. Otherwise it would constantly be straining against its limits.

I've worked on a system where a junior had to use the limits on a 6770 setup to block out the smallest 2 or 3 cogs. It made shifting weird since there were effectively some dead shifts, but it worked ok.

I don't know where you got your info. but I got mine from the Shimano dealer manual. Below is an excerpt taken on page 53.

Phenomenon that occurs due to an excessively
tightened adjustment bolt
••Gears do not shift to the top/low gear.
(Even if you shift gears to the top or low gear, the gear may shift
back by one gear after about 5 seconds.)
••Noise does not stop.
••Battery charge disappears quickly.
(load is being placed on the motor.)
••The motor may be damaged. (irreparable)

mariosimas

by mariosimas

and about using this setup:

Ultegra di2 Shifters (10V) with a 9070 Di2 RD + a 10 speed cassete ?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

^^ That setup will result in 11spd. It's the rear mech choice that determines the 10/11spd setup.

Running full DA 9070 Di2 with an Ultegra 6770 Di2 rear mech = 10spd.

skimons

by skimons

Anyone who has been able to connect the internal/ seat post battery to an old 7970 groupo? I know that the connectors don't match, but that can be solved.. questions remaining is will it work and how to charge. Any DIY tips?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Why bother? Aftermarket Lipo batteries for 7970 are easy to get, and easy to make. Depending on your proficiency with a soldering iron, you can buy the raw materials and do it yourself very cheaply, or you can buy a ready made one with correct harness and charger.

Kippenijzer

by Kippenijzer

Is it indeed just the rear-mech that decides about 10 or 11 speed? So would -RD-9070 + FD-6770 work at 11 speed without issue? (Currently gathering items for a UDi2, and just need a RD + Junction-A now, and if switching to RD-6870 would suffice to make it work 11speed would of course be a great option over having to also replace the FD-6770 I already have).

tmunk

by tmunk

I have a couple wheels that can't be converted to 11-speed. They are expensive wheels too (ZIPP's) and in excellent condition.

I saw a couple posts saying you could use a DA 9000 DI2 group with a UI2 6700 rear derailleur/cassette and get 10-speed?

Can someone verify this?

This would be the ideal situation for me as I really want to use the DA groupset (LOVE the shifters) but can't convert my wheels.

Todd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com