2013 Weight Weenie Kit (SHOP NOW OPEN! Rolling orders!)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

So this has nothing to do with kits, but I'm really into Japanese art, specifically traditional irezumi tattoos. Its pretty easy to spot traditional designs because early irezumi copied sketches from famous Japanese artists, who copied them from various works from mainland China. It doesn't make the final end product any less interesting. Very few artists, inventors, or writers are ever at the genesis of their creation. All draw inspiration from somewhere, often upon each other.

With that said there are a lot of modern tattoo'ers that blatantly rip off designs and do not actually hone their craft or style. In terms of kit design its pretty easy to go online, copy a pattern, change some titles. That is not the case for this kit. This year my team decided that we really liked Sky's WWF kit from the Tour a few years back, added some panels, added our sponsors, and came up with something that is pretty awesome. None of us have ever denied it and no one has gotten all huffy about it. I also don't know many hipster cyclists that care about this kind of shit.

Also, who seriously cares? Its a kit. For a group of people. That like one thing. Maybe I'm weird, but kits have never mattered to me as long as I generally supported the group or products I was advertising for my sponsors.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

spartan wrote:Q about shipping/duties.

In the past when ordering through fedex/ups to canada the brokerage fees were outrageous. i see jakroo has a canadian sales office
http://www.jakroo.ca/ . can we order through them to avoid fees ?

btw great design on kit...

And the answer from Jakroo:

"We pay all duties. In Canada, they pay GST and PST tax, which will be applied when they check out. All other countries, there is no additional tax."

The tax applies because they operate on Canada, tax may also apply to California residents or wherever they have offices.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

are

by are

I live in LA and ride a fair amount. Never seen a Bernard kit; 1st time I saw it was in this thread. I think the WW design looks great and I'm looking forward to ordering. I hope I get it by the Santa Barbara century - would love to ride in the new kit. I don't understand why some posters feel compelled to bitch at Prendrefeu - if you don't like it, don't get it. Why is that so difficult?

JAWN

by JAWN

If you're going to make semantic arguments, at least quote me correctly. Hi Mr. Kettle.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Enough already. :roll:
Speedplay is the devil!

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

The Team GB Olympic jersey is clearly a copy of the Bernard kit. All they did was move the diagonal lines over and change the colours slightly! I can't believe the Olympic committee had the cheek to allow this!

They look mildly similar, the WW kit looks 10 times better and nobodyexcept JAWN cares anyway. Can't wait to order mine.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Is JAWN just trying to get enough posts to sell in the classifieds? :noidea:

sawyer

by sawyer

NoiseBoy wrote:The Team GB Olympic jersey is clearly a copy of the Bernard kit. All they did was move the diagonal lines over and change the colours slightly! I can't believe the Olympic committee had the cheek to allow this!

They look mildly similar, the WW kit looks 10 times better and nobodyexcept JAWN cares anyway. Can't wait to order mine.

LOL - yes Wiggins, Cavendish et al were all desperate to copy Bernard Matthews or whoever they are :lol:

Maybe it's a bonus for Bernard Matthews, the WW members can just buy WW kit and no-one will notice the difference? More cash for Turkey Twizzlers.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

I wouldn't worry about the WW kit design anyway RU186, you will likely only see the back of it.

...I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

RU186 wrote:So, if it's just a kit, why not just own up?

Because there's nothing to own up to?

I like the Bernard kit, I think it's great. Have I seen it before it was brought up in this thread? No, sorry, I haven't.

Was this WW design completely original? No, not anymore that the Bernard kit would claim absolute originality. Inevitably they... Or thr Bernard person... would say that yes, they too were inspired by some patterns they saw somewhere. I've already covered what inspired me when I made that original sketch, and how the sketch evolved into what you see. Is it similar to Bernard? Sure is. Did it come from the same inspiration? I want to find out - again something I wrote before - but I can say with absolute certainty that no, I was not inspired by Bernard itself, having never seen that kit or heard of it prior to trychle bringing it up earlier.

By what I've heard from those trying to lambast me, apparently it's hard to believe because they already knew about Bernard... Well no shit! But again, not everyone knows or knew about it or them, not everyone sees or knows what you know yet you expect everyone else to?
That's ridiculous.

Two designs from two origins end up looking the same. This happens more often than you think. Get over it, please.

robertg

by robertg

In the wonderful state of New Jersey, most of the kits looks the same except for a few minor changes and the majority of them have white and blue.

The Weight Weenies kit looks awesome and I still can't wait to get a kit.

Liggero

by Liggero

Well... Sorry to enter this discussion, and I hope I don't get banned again just for saying my honest opinion, but this design for the WW jersey and that Bernard kit look awfully, awfuly similar. Way too similar to be a coincidence. Worst thing is that the Bernard scheme, stripes thickness, separation and overall "rhythm" seems really kinda perfect, while the WW design, composition, and even chosen palette seem quite wrong.

I don't think Prend copied the design, maybe bernard copied him, and then made it really nice, which is weird, or maybe this is a really huge coincidence. Or maybe, just maybe, Pren copied the Bernard kit. People can decide by themselves.

But, in the end, I don't think it's very important. Copying a kit is not that bad, although if you don't mention references or to what previous kit you are referencing, seems like quite a shame and extremely low class, right?

What is important; this current design is quite 2nd or 3rd rate, copied or not copied. Some other forum users proposed better designs, in my opinion. I also think that design by commette is not good, but at least people should be able to decide a better design, which doesn't look just like another one...
Happy Trails !!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Whatever. No comment. I'm done.

All I want, right now, is for the contact at Jakroo to send me the store link for us to meet the quantities, and I really wouldn't wish this ordeal upon anyone that I care about.

gt5504b

by gt5504b

Seriously?
This is still going on?!
We voted overwhelmingly for this design. At this point if you are not interested in this kit and don't have a constructive comment to add please just start a new thread.

Leave this one to those of us On Topic who want to coordinate the completion of the process.
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com