Campagnolo back to zero bar end shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Got these shifters the other day and in my eagerness to install them, I unscrewed the wrong screw and disassembled them instead of just removing the mechanism to install them

Basically, you have two screws, one where you can adjust the angle of the shifter (which is the one you're supposed to remove to install the shifters) and one that disassembles the shifter (which is of course the screw I removed...). Dumb, dumb, dumb... I put it all together again, but I can't get the hole for the cable (the cable guide) to align with the hole on the shifter body and I have ZERO indexing at all. Small movement up and then back down again is all I can do.

Any ideas how I can fix my idiot mistake?!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

llhh

by llhh

Not sure if I understood right, but you cannot align them properly when the cable is under tension. Undo the cable from the derailleur, position the shifter, then re-tighten the cable.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

llhh wrote:Not sure if I understood right, but you cannot align them properly when the cable is under tension. Undo the cable from the derailleur, position the shifter, then re-tighten the cable.

No cable involved at all so far... Basically did a really dumb thing and unscrewed the wrong screw when I was going to install the shifters (yes, I know... read the manual carefully first).

The cable guide is right next to the locking "tab" and there's no way to move them independently. At this point, when I place the tab into the pocket of the shifter body (i.e. the only way you can assemble the shifter together), there's no indexing at all, only a very small, micro step, in one direction and the only thing I can do after that is the same micro step in the opposite direction... that's it! Everything is pretty much locked up.

The tab is right next to the cable guide...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

Juanmoretime wrote:I've been watching this at Slowtwitch and have the same shifter and did take mine apart. The black square part will rotate by hand getting everything back into proper alignment to reassemble the shifter.

I've rotated the black square in either direction, but the tap that locks the mechanism in place and the cable guide rotates as well (as it should). How do I get it back to zero?

audiojan

by audiojan

Nothing I do seem to help... getting pretty frustrated though... :oops:

I can seat the tab into the pocket so the shifter can get assembled, but nothing I do seems to change the lack of movement when I assemble it.

audiojan

by audiojan

FINALLY success! Called Campagnolo and talked to Dan (the service manager). He suggested grabbing the "black square" with an adjustable wrench and then make sure that the tab "gets stuck" on the wrench as I home the lever. It worked out great!!!

oysters

by oysters

Thinking about a couple of years down the track and my future uber-light touring bike; how serviceable and durable are the campagnolo 11speed bar end shifters? Is there anything in them that can ever really break? I imagine the internals are more complicated, with springs and such, given the return to center ability and lack of friction option? The option of 11 speed is pretty enticing, but I want to keep bar end shifting for the rear on my tourer, at the moment I have 10 speed shimano (the 7800 bar end shifters which are bulletproof and have the simple friction option if the indexing were to go).

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

11speed barend shifters are actually very simple internally. they are also very closely related to the 11speed ergos.

leon2982

by leon2982

So I have the same problem; looks like I'm close but now I get chain clicking on the smaller 2-3 cassette cogs. No way to reset the shifter to factory setting other than trial and error?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rquiroz602

by rquiroz602

I have just run into this problem, and my bar end shifter is exactly aligned how the pic in this thread is. In the thread two suggestions were made to fix the issue:
1. hold black square with pliers, and catch the tab. Index till it's aligned correctly.
2. attach back to the bar, without wire, and index till aligned.

.. they both basically do the same thing, and unfortunately, neither fix my problem.
Once the black square is held, and the metal tab is held, it's impossible to index more than one click. So, how do I get to the cable insert opening to shift down and align properly? There must be a way? I did contact Campy in Cali, and they suggested i take to the local "campy proshop". Called them, and asked if they had any idea what i was talking about, and it was obvious they didn't, so I'm hesitant to take it there.
Any one have schematics on this component?

Richard