HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 am 

I know that the Foil comes supplied with a (25mm?) offset seatpost in the larger sizes (56 and up), and a supposedly zero offset post in the smaller sizes (54 and under).

However, pictures of the zero offset post suggest that it does actually have a small offset, and isn't truly inline.

However again - I'm guessing that this may be because the seat tube itself actually has a slight forward offset, and that the small backwards offset on the zero offset seatpost is compensating for this such that geometrically, there is no offset of the saddle clamp from the stated seat tube angle. It seems to me from looking at photos that if you draw a line from the center of the BB parallel with the seat tube, it doesn't fall in the middle of the seat tube but slightly towards the rear edge, i.e. the seat tube isn't actually running from the middle of the BB but rather a few millimetres in front of that point.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm fussy about saddle position and would want a true zero offset of the saddle clamp with a 73.3 degree seat tube angle (size 54).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm 

Looking at it, it certainly isn't "zero" offset, but near enough as makes no difference. Looks like it's 10mm at the absolute most, and the only time that could ever possibly be relevant is if you run your saddle pushed all the way forwards on a zero-offset post. If you have the slightest bit of movement on your saddle rails, this is de-facto zero-offset.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 pm 

In my case I could accommodate a 10mm setback, but it would mean that the saddle would be pushed most of the way forward. With true zero setback, it would be much nearer the middle of the rails, or at least wouldn't look like it was pushed forward. Maybe my saddle has shorter rails than some. Mainly an aesthetic thing, but I'm fussy. :wink:

I'm also just curious about this - the post is described as zero setback, but appears not to be. And the center line of the seat tube does look like it might be offset forward a little from the BB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm 

The 54 has a 10mm setback post. Not sure about the 52, but I know smaller than that has a zero setback post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 pm 

Grill wrote:
The 54 has a 10mm setback post. Not sure about the 52, but I know smaller than that has a zero setback post.

Ah, that could explain it if there are actually three different posts - so the smaller setback one (smaller than the 25mm on the larger sizes) is not the zero setback one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm 

Except that I only ever see references to two sizes, "zero" and 25mm offset.

Just to illustrate what I mean about the seat tube itself possibly being "offset" - I've added the white line to this photo, going from the seat clamp through the center of the BB:

And Scott's own geometry diagrams show a line from the BB that doesn't quite go up the middle of the seat tube:

So I reckon the "zero offset" seatpost is actually slightly offset backwards to compensate, creating a "virtual" zero offset.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:34 pm 

The offset of the Foil seatpost is 8mm , same as the Ritchey seatpost stubby that came with the Addict R1 bike I have. The Large and Xtra Large frame have the 25mm offset for the seatpost.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:34 pm