2013 Mavic R-Sys wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I did a search and couldn't find any reviews or conversations regarding the new 2013 R-sys SLR wheels. I believe there were some issues with the front wheel of the 2012 regular R-sys.

If there is a thread already regarding these, can someone please find me the link to the thread.

Otherwise, anyone have any thoughts? Looks like a super light aluminum/carbon wheel at 1290g. From my understanding they are a really nice stiff wheel that is great for us folks that climb a lot.

Thanks in advance.

cnbky

by cnbky

whatever you do, make sure you get them from an authorised mavic dealer and have a warranty, seems the warranty has saved a bunch of people here from rim problems.

see mavic exalith progress thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

R-SYS also have a fairly hated reputation around here. Yes they might be light and feel stiff, but they are TERRIBLY un-aero

Also when first released the structural instability of a long round CF tube in compression resulted in explosive failures that Mavic denied despite a lot of evidence. They supposedly fixed the fracture issue, but frankly they aren't a good wheelset unless you do ALOT of climbing and want light weight climbing wheels with Al brake tracks
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Bianchi10 wrote:Otherwise, anyone have any thoughts? Looks like a super light aluminum/carbon wheel at 1290g. From my understanding they are a really nice stiff wheel that is great for us folks that climb a lot.

Is 1290g claimed weight? If so, I'd assume another 50g or so for actual.

For the same reason they are un-aerodynamic, they will behave badly in crosswinds ... the kind you find in the high mountains that move the bike around at 80kmh. So for going uphill they look good, but on the basis you normally have to get down again, I'd avoid!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

record

by record

If I were you, I would go with the Fulcrum wheels. Much better hubs and they seem to be more tough without carbon spokes.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

airwise

by airwise

Bianchi10 wrote:I did a search and couldn't find any reviews or conversations regarding the new 2013 R-sys SLR wheels. I believe there were some issues with the front wheel of the 2012 regular R-sys.

If there is a thread already regarding these, can someone please find me the link to the thread.

Otherwise, anyone have any thoughts? Looks like a super light aluminum/carbon wheel at 1290g. From my understanding they are a really nice stiff wheel that is great for us folks that climb a lot.

Thanks in advance.

People here hate them. Peer group reviews I've read in Europe rave about them. Stiff and light. Reading WW anyone would think they would slow you down horribly yet Basso effectively one the Giro on a set so they can't be that bad :wink:
Having ridden them, they are great for both climbing and descending - there are better wheels for cruising along the flats however.

huddini

by huddini

I did about 3000km on my new 2013 R-Sys WTS. They are aoundt the claimed 1345g. I use em in the mountain only, but actually think about to use em for racing in favor for my Bontrager Aeolus 5 clinchers and Aeolus D3 5 tubulars. The R-Sys are were stiff and stable. I do corners with aprx 70km/h, which is about 7km/h fasted then I did w my openpro/dtswiss setup. On the flat they feel very responsive and fast. I didnt notice the un-aero penalty, so I might use em for racing even on flat crits...

PenguinBoy

by PenguinBoy

I have a pair of 2012 R-Sys SLR Tubular WTS and I have noticed, compared to the OEM wheels
Cons
- Feels heavy, sluggish at best
- Hard work to push, doesn't spin weel
- Very un-aero and you feel the cross winds

I bought them cos they looked nice and with the Exalith brakes. The Exalith also gives a nice electrical buzz when braking. I also assumed that they would be easy to ride up hills, specifically Mount St in Perth but you'd tire out before you get there.
Pros
+ Look good, Exalith braking rim = fully blackish wheel
+ good braking in dry and wet
+ the braking squeal is nice and unique (personal preferance)
+ Only done a couple of hundred k's and its still true

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I love my 2011 R-SYS SLRs - strong, stiff, reasonable weight (I'm north of 80kg so not particularly confident of the strength of lighter wheels aside from Mad Fiber) and look great.

Some had rim coating issues with the 2011/2012 versions, but I believe this has been resolved for the 2013 version - as has the brake pad noise (mostly).

If you don't like the carbon spokes in the front wheel then get the Ksyrium SLR - the spokes are more aero (although still not a particularly 'aero' wheel design) and are aluminium, if that gives you more confidence over the carbon. The only downside of the Ksyrium version is the lack of tubular version for 2013, otherwise I'd probably run them.

s4life

by s4life

Love them, but I think they are more suited for CX rather than race per se.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The Exalith coating wouldn't last 5mins in a wet CX race!

duz10s

by duz10s

i love my R-Sys wheels, strong, stiff, great for climbing and look the goods as well
2015 RCA with Di2

Doolop

by Doolop

PenguinBoy wrote:I have a pair of 2012 R-Sys SLR Tubular WTS and I have noticed, compared to the OEM wheels
Cons
- Feels heavy, sluggish at best
- Hard work to push, doesn't spin weel
- Very un-aero and you feel the cross winds

These comments are ridiculous and anyone who has even ridden r-sys wheels in a parking lot knows that.

The r-sys wheels spin up very fast, that was the goal behind the design. Cant speak to the aero qualifications of these wheels but they do seem to beat the crap out of you due to their unforgiving nature.

One major thing I've noticed with r-sys wheels that really puts me off them is the spokes crack at the heads and wear out fairly quickly.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Doolop wrote:they do seem to beat the crap out of you due to their unforgiving nature.

This can be true, but I've done 200km+ rides on them and felt fine afterwards. 25c tyres help resolve this too, although I've only just switched from the tyres they were supplied with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Might be the least aero wheel ever used in the Peloton in the last 30 years