New Mavic Carbon Cosmic Clinchers 40C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Tinea Pedis wrote:sawyer, you know we get along, so you'll also appreciate that the bashing Mavic cops on WW (for a lot of unfounded reasons) really is excessive. And for whatever reason, always has been.

Zack, cheers for the input. We appreciate it.

Hi Tinea - indeed we do!
:thumbup:

A fair point and my post to Zack was a serious question - conscious that no/few other manufacturer(s) is straight with consumers in the way I've suggested, but as WWs we all rightly bemoan unrealistic claimed weights.

On alu rimmed clinchers I appreciate the variance Zack refers to, but think about it, is a fair response to that (from many manufacturers, not just Mavic) to quote the lightest possible weight or to quote a realistic range?

We all know weight sells, especially on wheels, and companies carry on quoting the lightest weight possible, instead of being straight with consumers and saying (e.g) 1550g - 1600g, or 1575g +/- 2%

Actually think the BS'ing on weight is so widespread that making actual weights part of a marketing pitch could be quite an effective differentiator.

I appreciate Zack's input as well BTW
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, as long as we are sharing, I want to know why that wheel isn't tubeless, too?

I am running tubeless this season (I don't believe you can have an opinion without really trying them for a few seasons), so I would be happy to add a set of Mavic 40C tubeless proto-wheels to my Campagnolo Shamal and Shimano DA test mules!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

sawyer, none of those actually refer to the general hiding Mavic receive on here. They are genuine questions.

Not the vitriol that seems to be mandatory as soon as 'Mavic wheels' are mentioned.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Thanks for the positive words, all. It's refreshing to simply discuss without derogatory or inflammatory language.

Geoff, regarding tubeless, it's another valid question. I think we'd say the following:
1) it's a case of walking before running. we needed a carbon clincher and thought best to master the craft before diving all in and adding another layer to the package.

2) road tubless has been an ongoing topic within the company. on the European side of things, our PMs just don't hear the demand coming from markets. On the other hand, there are pockets of vocal demand here in the USA and similar locations. But right now, the relatively limited ask, globally, has not justified the development effort.

3) in the USA, with wide roads and a lot of crud on the road shoulder, the flat resistance offered by RT is appealing. Plus, with gravel road riding in the USA becoming popular, RT makes sense, But In Europe, I find the roads to be much cleaner and there are few gravel roads. Therefore the flat resistance we value here doesn't translate as much over there.

4) Roadside serviceability of RT is tough. If you DO flat a RT tire, it's a bugger to change, and that's a problem Mavic would like to solve first. Serviceability is a key word in the company.

5) The benefits of RT don't test out according to Mavic's tire guys. For example rolling resistance - not as low as claimed (according to our guys).

So until the benefits are much more clear and tangible, I think RT isn't a big driver at Mavic. That said, the airtight tire beds are already there and ready to go. And, we've got a tire program. So, it could be coming sooner than expected.

Cheers for the comments! And, please let me know if you want to ride wheels at Sea Otter.
-z
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I just got a chance to demo them for a few rides.
They sure look the part.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Imaking20

by Imaking20

They do look slick!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I rode these for 96+10 miles this past weekend, I decent review is in order...
I'll write one up tonight and post the link here.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

My "A" ride is the Triple Bypass. http://www.teamevergreen.org/triple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

120 miles. ~11,000 feet of climbing.

Every year that I have done it, it is a dilemma of what wheels to choose. I have to balance: light weight for the climbs, likelihood of flats, braking during torrential thunderstorm/hailing descents, long sections where aero wheels are nice, and what to carry for spares.

Every year, even with a quiver of super high end tubular wheels, I go with clinchers because I do not want to carry multiple tubular tires and slime. Besides the Fulcrum Racing Light clinchers (which actually are not that light and have NO aero properties) I am still looking for the perfect grand fondo clincher wheelset.
Alas, my search is over.

In testing the Mavic 40C's, I did 8500 feet of climbing, mostly up and down Lookout Mountain in Golden on these wheels. It was wet at times from snow melt with some gravel roads thrown in for good measure. The first smiles on these wheels came on the twisty descents.
Here are my impressions:

Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40C
Good: Very solid in power transfer and stable cornering predictability, quiet riding, excellent descending characteristics and braking performance, very little effect with heavy gusting cross winds, great ride quality and sound, sexy as hell with matching Mavic tires and carbon hubs, great customer service and support, never have to swap pads for training/race wheels as these do it all.

Bad: Not the lightest wheels out there but acceptable all day climbing wheels. $ is actually not a downside as I am guessing the resale of these wheels will remain high, as with most Mavic products.

Verdit: My first choice for "do it all -climbing gran fondo wheels" that can be relied upon in any situation and weather for years.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

IchDien

by IchDien

Has anyone else tried these recently?

witboy

by witboy

What is the weight limit for these wheels?

Is there some comparison with Enve 3.4?

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

weight limit for all Mavic wheels is 100kg / 220 lbs.

we are not super strict about it in the USA but it has been an issue now and then. If you're over 230 lbs, we'd strongly advise that you investigate a custom build of some kind, with 32 or 36 spokes, Open Pro rims, sturdy parts, etc. it's just more likely to keep you happy and trouble free in the long run!
thanks - z
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.

RM27

by RM27

[quote="coloclimber"]My "A" ride is the Triple Bypass. http://www.teamevergreen.org/triple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return

Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40C
Good: Very solid in power transfer and stable cornering predictability, quiet riding, excellent descending characteristics and braking performance, very little effect with heavy gusting cross winds

I'd be interested in hearing more about "little effect with heavy cross winds". I'm looking for something to use on windy days. I would have thought these being 40MM would have been challenging with gusty cross winds.

bigvern

by bigvern

can you use latex inner tubes with these wheels? (thinking about the extra heat build up with the carbon)

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Bigvern, I would not recommend it. I'm a big fan of latex tubes. they roll fast and feel great. In 10 years, I never had a problem but then 3 months ago I was doing a really steep descent (18%, 5-10 minutes, choppy packed dirt road) and punctured a front. I should say, burst a front latex tube due to overheating. Now, these conditions were very rare. But I was using aluminum rimmed wheels! The Cosmic Carbone SLR wheels, with exalith from 2012. It's the first time I ever had a problem, and it finally made me believe what the Mavic engineers had warned me about: sudden failure due to heating. To have this episode with aluminum rims really made me aware of the amount of heat build up.
- in case you're wondering, it was a white Vredestein latex tube, thinner than what I normally use.

Like I said those conditions were very extreme and produced a LOT of heat. Since then I have been running latex tubes in my CC 40 wheels, as a test. But I've been more careful about brake management on steep roads! The braking is outstanding on these wheels so its easy to modulate. and heat management is better than any carbon I've ridden. Even so, with latex, you just have to be more careful, from installation to riding.
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.

bigvern

by bigvern

Yeah - thanks, I ask because I had one big failure, they go bang rather than deflate slowly, it actually threw me off the bike , luckily away from the traffic, I still use them on my cosmic carbone SLs. though as they are so nice to ride on.
(For me it must have been an install problem rather than heat as it was flat tt stage and I had't touched the brakes)

Whilst your'e on I'd love your opinion - I've got 2 sets of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs (both powertap rears), which I love beacuse they are (or seem to be for a 90KG guy) bomb proof whilst still fast (ie a great training and racing wheel if you could only have one set)

I'm after a new set of wheels (need a mix of aero and lightish weight for climbs that suit a powerful rider)

Are the 40C's as tough as the SLs? or am I better sticking the SL or looking at the SLE

Also the guy in the LBS said because of the WTS they (the 40c) are actually more aero than the SLs?

Have also been looking at the reynolds aero 58 and enve 6.7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com