Campagnolo package @ Ribble

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

So the best price I've found for a complete group is from Ribble.

They are offering Centaur with carbon levers for £460, or £560 with carbon cranks.

Is it worth the extra £100 to save 94g or would I be better off getting the aluminium version and then upgrading to an aftermarket crankset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

shimano and campag rings have a noticeably superior shift to aftermarket rings.

Devon

by Devon

Yes very good point, hadn't really thought about that.

Was thinking more for the crank arm itself though, as that's where most of the weight is.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive been impressed with Campy UT cranks. They seem like an overall good choice even in aftermarket terms. I would upgrade to the carbon and consider it done.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I'd get the alu cranks, sell them, and find an Ultra-Torque one instead. Power Torque is inconvenient.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Comtat had decent prices for Campag complete sets when I was last shopping, might be worth a look if you haven't already.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

I'd steer well clear of carbon p/t cranks as they're an absolute pain to remove without damaging them, the alu ones it's not so much of a worry. Like others have said I'd perhaps buy the cheapest option then look for a bargain on some carbon u/t cranks instead.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Ultra-Torque cranks are fantastic. you could find lighter in the aftermarket, but then you wouldn't be able to fit those lovely 135 BCD rings on there. lighter by 100 grams or thereabouts or better shifting? i'd take the shifting.

idler

by idler

Agreed re selling off the Power Torque cranks and getting some Ultra Torques instead.

s4life

by s4life

Yup, and you can save yourself some money by also going Centaur Carbon UT, though they are not as common as the higher end Chorus or Record.

idler wrote:Agreed re selling off the Power Torque cranks and getting some Ultra Torques instead.

Miller

by Miller

Centaur hasn't been UT for years so good luck finding stock. PT is very easy to install (once you have a 14mm hex key). If you need to uninstall get a friendly LBS to do it or buy a bearing puller, there are threads on here describing this. I have done one PT uninstall on an Athena carbon crank and it was very straightforward, using a rag to protect the carbon surface. If you're mechanically competent don't be put off.

I'd go for the Centaur carbon if you can.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

The problem with PT is that you either need to spring for some costly tools or try to figure which gear puller can be bodged to work. This irritates me.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

MajorMantra wrote:The problem with PT is that you either need to spring for some costly tools or try to figure which gear puller can be bodged to work. This irritates me.

What costly tools are that? Disassembling and assembling UT cranks is a piece of cake. You need the bb tool and the tool for the centernut in the crankset, done?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

PT not UT.

s4life

by s4life

That's true for carbon. If you want to buy UT centaur carbon, the only resource here is ebay and a good bit of luck. I've seen plenty of alloy Centaur UT in ebay for cheap however.

Miller wrote:Centaur hasn't been UT for years so good luck finding stock. PT is very easy to install (once you have a 14mm hex key). If you need to uninstall get a friendly LBS to do it or buy a bearing puller, there are threads on here describing this. I have done one PT uninstall on an Athena carbon crank and it was very straightforward, using a rag to protect the carbon surface. If you're mechanically competent don't be put off.

I'd go for the Centaur carbon if you can.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com