Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

fdegrove wrote:@Airwise, your message is a contradiction as well:

But I'm going back to RXS until they produce a more appropriate cleat.

Ciao, ;)

Not at all. I'm not sure I understand you.

My point is that given the choice of two not so great options of cleats I'll choose the RXS as I've found the Expresso ones to last a month at best in the mountains. I understand there are some on here who only ride a couple of hours at threshold then get home and spend an afternoon absorbing the data from their various devices.For them I'm sure there will be no issue - especially if their coffee shop of choice is carpeted on the odd occasion they stop on a recovery ride.

pje0713

by pje0713

I previously posted here about my Time Expresso 12 pedals. The summary: thought the pedals were great but the cleats sucked.

Then this happened today...

As far as I can tell a little plastic axle that holds the back 1/4 of the pedal on the front snapped, which then had a cascade of effects: the metal plate on the bottom of the pedal broke loose, some other bits and pieces went flying, and I rode home ~15 miles on half a pedal. Fun times! A little disconcerting is all the plastic on these things. Turns out, not so good for durability!

The facts: I was unclipping at a light when it happened. I bought these in January and they have 1600 miles or so on them. I weigh 178 lbs, below the rec. rider max of 190 lbs.

I'm going back to Looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Curious George

by Curious George

Hi all,
After my earlier posting I thought I should post a follow up.
My pedals were replaced under warranty (thx Probikekit) and I have been using them for the last few months.
Checked them today as they had started to develop a creak and found that the carbon blade in the left pedal has a developed a longitudinal crack.
Will be contacting PBK today to see whether it's covered.
Not having much luck with these compared to the orginal iClic's.
One other small point which someone else raised and I find a bit frustrating is the way that they hang when unclipped....it's just not constant and can make clipping in difficult without looking as the position of the keeps pedal changing.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I went for LOOK BLADE Ti to the Time Xpresso 8 ....
busted two sets of the LOOK thru the carbon body and one blade snapped .... purchased the Time .. first box arrived with one pedal broken in the box , sent them back
2 days later a new set in the box ... knocked up 2900km on them so far faultless.
I had the I-Click prior however didn't warm to them. If the Time last me 2 years I will be happy everything these days is not built to last
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

everything these days is not built to last

I think DA will last longer than most, and I've had great luck with Speedplay as far as longevity goes, but everything is a tradeoff.
For DA it's weight, for Speedplay, it's platform size / stability. I am still enjoying my Xpresso 12s, but if they start falling apart, I will have to rethink things.

hypractv

by hypractv

I've been on the RXS Titans for almost 8 years now. My original set circa 2005 is being to be put out of service. After reviewing this thread along with some others I decided to give the Xpresso 8s a whirl. I ordered 3 sets today. Went with the Xpresso 8 based on cost vs. the 12.

Will report back after the first 500k.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

2.5 years (and over 15,000 mi ) on my exustar 200 ti pedals and not so much as a complaint. Took them apart and regreased w/ marine grade stuff and still going strong. I thought about the new time pedals, but I'm not sure it's worth the 20g savings.
Speedplay is the devil!

wildboar

by wildboar

I see that Mavic has based their new pedal lineup on the Xpresso.

http://www.mavicusa.com/pedals/roadtriathlon

Wingnut

by Wingnut

My Xpresso's are making some serious creaking noises, not sure what's going on but can't see any cracks or damage in either the cleats or pedals...I might take them off and re-grease the threads to see if that helps...?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

wildboar wrote:I see that Mavic has based their new pedal lineup on the Xpresso.

http://www.mavicusa.com/pedals/roadtriathlon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mavic version looks a million times better without all the red.
Speedplay is the devil!

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Wingnut .... mine started and progressively got worse . I'm back to Look Keo2 Max
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hmm, I can feel creaks and clunks resonating through the pedals into my feet...sounds awful at times...I think it's friction on the composite piece in the cleat which, used to be brass in the older RXS cleats...

I may go back to RXS's if I have to...

boolinwall

by boolinwall

It's the steel plate rubbing the cleat. The old Impacts suffered from it as well. Just scuff up the part of the cleat that contacts it (basically, make it not smooth) and it will go away.

darwinx

by darwinx

It was 2 or 3 generations ago that Time had the cracking issue so I'm not sure how relevant it is now. I used Times all through the 90's and then off and on. I did use the iClics but finally tried Speedplays because I felt like the forced re-centering of a Time pedals might be causing issues with my knee. Speedplays require more maintenance and setup but were a revelation in preventing knee issues and ease of use. I started on the original Look pedals in 1984 and have had everything in between but all I are recommend now are Speedplays.

maxxevv wrote:That doesn't sound very promising. :shock:

But at least you're alright. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

boolinwall wrote:It's the steel plate rubbing the cleat. The old Impacts suffered from it as well. Just scuff up the part of the cleat that contacts it (basically, make it not smooth) and it will go away.

I ended up tightening a slightly loose chainring bolt and it all went away... :thumbup:
Last edited by Wingnut on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.