Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

That Tommasini is super sweet!

I currently have a Fausto Coppi Steel C.F. frame up for sale (Columbus FOCO) and it weighs just 1510 grams for a size 56.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I just picked up a Duell Passion. The weight's not bad at 1650 grams. Especially considering how much paint is on it. The Vogue model is supposed to be even lighter. This isn't old school steel though. This frame is stiffer than any of my current carbon frames and is smoother too. Unfortunately, once steel starts getting light enough to win over the average cyclist, it loses a lot of stiffness. So I guess it's a real balancing act. Van Dalen got it bang on with this bike though. But I am reeaaally tempted to try a Vogue out now.

User Name

by User Name

wojchiech wrote:Rodriguez frames use S3 tubing and can come at or below ~1kg

http://www.rodcycle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm, I missed this!! WOW.
There's a frame on there that they say is 2.2lb (998g), and they mention another that's 1180g.
Is that right? Do they last?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

boolinwall wrote:I just picked up a Duell Passion. The weight's not bad at 1650 grams. Especially considering how much paint is on it. The Vogue model is supposed to be even lighter. This isn't old school steel though. This frame is stiffer than any of my current carbon frames and is smoother too. Unfortunately, once steel starts getting light enough to win over the average cyclist, it loses a lot of stiffness. So I guess it's a real balancing act. Van Dalen got it bang on with this bike though. But I am reeaaally tempted to try a Vogue out now.

I have a secret crush on the Vogue oversized....YUM!

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Yeah. Me too. I may have to have one next year.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

As a point of reference I just picked up my “new” frame, a 1946 Macleans Mac Super. 58/58cm came in at 1807gms complete with original rust.

Given that it’s a lugged 531 frame that’s over 50years old, it’s clear steel frames really haven’t come on leaps and bounds in terms of weight loss

I assume that Rodrigeuz frame would be a complete noodle at under 1kg given that it's at least 30% lighter than nearly every other steel frame on the market?? But if someone has riden one do let us know
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

bikewithnoname wrote:As a point of reference I just picked up my “new” frame, a 1946 Macleans Mac Super. 58/58cm came in at 1807gms complete with original rust.

Given that it’s a lugged 531 frame that’s over 50years old, it’s clear steel frames really haven’t come on leaps and bounds in terms of weight loss

Not sure I agree. Leaps and bounds were just not made in terms of weight loss.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

well in that case you do agree? I was only talking about weight, not stiffness, aero, longevity, vibration damping etc
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

No not really. Leaps and bounds were not made in terms of weight loss. If you would keep the other variables (stiffness, aero, longevity, etc.) the same, you can make frames way lighter compared to your Macleans. The Rodriquez frame is the best example for this. Compared to modern steel frame it might be a noodle, but I think it would be pretty similar to your Macleans.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Yes, I am based, but I will point out Rauler steel frames.
Same shop that used to design Colnago's custom team steel frames in the 80's.
With Rauler's XL frame set, you get...
- Choice of Deda Zero XL or Columbus Spirit tubing
- Tapered full carbon fork
- PFBB86
- Custom paint and geometry options

We will be launching things at Interbike and Pezcyclingnews is doing a review for us in the next 2 months!
Feel free to PM me for details.

ninjaman

by ninjaman

I'm pretty ecstatic with my Guru Sidero:

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Sweet looking bike bud. The guys at Guru are friggin awesome to deal with. My carbon bike is a custom Evolo. I absolutely love it. If they offered more steel options than just Columbus spirit, I'd likely have them make me a steel frame some day. Who knows, I still might anyways.
Cippo. Is ZERO XL the new name for the EOM 16.5 alloy, or an entire new alloy altogether? I'm not talking tube shapes, but the boron enhanced stell alloy itself. I know that the 14.5 alloy is now called ZERO. If I'm not mistaken, didn't ZERO become SAT 14.5 quite some time ago? Either way, it's still fantastic tubing for producing stiff steel frames.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Sat 14.5 is also really light. My Ciocc Freeride built with Sat 14.5 weighs in at 1700 grams (size 58), which is pretty darn light. Maybe we should be looking at Dedacciai instead of Columbus when it comes to ultralight steel tubing?

s4life

by s4life

Saroni Master Extra Light.. I don't know of any other classic steel bike that looks better and rides better:)

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Or weighs more. That having been said. It's weight well spent for a bike that gorgeous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com