what build for a colnago master extra light?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

s4life

by s4life

I just bought a 2002 colnago master extra light in blue art decor color with black flash carbon fork. The frame is in absolute mint condition, but came built up with some ultegra 9 speed components. I've been thinking about what build to use to replace the ultegra.
the problem is, this is a not a classic vintage bike, but then again it isn't really a modern bike either. I am going with campy certainly and the two apparent choices I've come up with are either chorus alloy 10 speed or just go all the way with chorus/record/super record 11 speed. I have some shamals for the chorus or neutron clinchers that would complement well the 11 speed sets.

What are your opinions? any other choice?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

You hit the nail on the head: this is a not a classic vintage bike, but then again it isn't really a modern bike either.

Personally, I would have a modern groupset, but have something like a titanium seatpost, shiny stem and wheels with tan sidewall tyres. As someone who started riding a bike in anger in the late sixties, the thought of going back to toe clips and straps and downtube shifters has no appeal. Very few people on here have pulled it off, Dadoflam's Cinelli being a notable exception.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

There's quite a few Masters on here with various builds to compare, SalsaLover, kgt, a.davis and a few others.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Oh yeah, I've got a 30th anniv. AD10 frame I'm building too, modern all the way for me - Chorus 11, Record headset, Record hubs, black Revs and Crono F20s.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

My friend just built up a Master X in red and threw SR11 on it but with the chromed bits doesn't really work with the look IMO.

I'd go alloy with as much as I could get away with, and accent the important parts with some anodized bits instead of carbon...(and that's coming from me, the carbon guy).
carbonLORD.com

kov79

by kov79

I've just ordered a master 30th in AD4 and plan on building it up modern. I want to enjoy the beauty of steel with SR 11 and lightweights (which I already have). I think stem (angle) seat and bottle cages are the most difficult to get the right combination and gave a big effect on finished looks from looking at everyone else's that have been built, but then that's what makes building fun and subjective to different tastes.

s4life

by s4life

I am starting to see the light:) I am going with campy 11! I will post some photos later as the build progresses.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Hardest thing to get (looking) right on modern Masters are (non quill) stems. Modern oversized ones don't fit the sleek steel tubes very well.

Lig

by Lig

Hi S4life,

Its a tough call, I think if its your best bike then I would try and make it as light as possible with the best Campy group you can afford and Hyperon wheels :lol:

But if its a second bike then keep it all alloy and classic looking but with a modern twist on the components. I built up a Basso, with Athena 11 (to keep it all alloy) but put some delta brakes on which i love :P but the sad thing is that this bike justs sits on my turbo and maybe sees the sun one ride a year :( . I still look at a lot though as its a thing of beauty.... but Wassertreter is right about those A head stems!!

I will look forward to your build images.....

Lig.

solarider

by solarider

Shame, you could have had mine.......

Blatant hijack to my Master 30th for sale in the classifieds. Kitted out just as Lig would have liked!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118593

s4life

by s4life

Really nice build! except it's not my size 8).
On a related topic, I think I'd have to agree with some posters here: the less amount of carbon involved the better this bike looks. So seat post, stem, headset, handlebar, and possibly brake set and wheel set .. at least those would have to be shiny :)

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the wheel set. This is gonna be my main bike and I want to make it as light as possible so though I love vintage shamals I think I'll have to look for something similar look-wise but lighter... any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback! expect some pics sooner rather than later:)

solarider wrote:Shame, you could have had mine.......

Blatant hijack to my Master 30th for sale in the classifieds. Kitted out just as Lig would have liked!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fletch62

by fletch62

I dont understand why Colnago (or any other company), dont release a 1" silver stem to suit threadless forks.
1 1/8" just look to bulky IMHO against the size of the tubes.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Shame to see you selling your big 40th present there, solarider.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

s4life wrote:The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the wheel set. This is gonna be my main bike and I want to make it as light as possible so though I love vintage shamals I think I'll have to look for something similar look-wise but lighter... any ideas?

Shallow (black) carbon wheels need not look out of place, especially with tan sidewall tyres. If you are extra careful, get some matte ones that don't have a visible weave pattern, think that would emulate the look of anodized rims the best. Anodized rims have been around for a long time -- http://www.mavic.com/en/history/1973/1979/Innovations . Silver spokes, of course, if you care about the retro looks.

willy

by willy

agree with stem issue...i might try to source something custom...currently have 3t with the black theme, think its the thinner stem, but as you can see below, clearly thicker than tubes. :-(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com