Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

SWijland wrote:but with steel becoming more and more popular these days

It is?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

It is..maybe not so much on the race scene but there are more and more artisan builders making steel bikes available...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Seems about the same amount to me, just social media seems to be helping the wider community know who they are.

Just my take. Don't get me wrong, super happy to see more steel bikes around!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Agree with you Tinea Pedis, I don't see more builders just better advertising.

Not a bad thing in my view as I have a Pegoretti and a Donhou and certainly wouldn't ahve found my Donhou without his media presence
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

JulienLeBreton

by JulienLeBreton

Wingnut wrote:Where...I see three pages of french dialogue and only several pictures of some headsets?

You're joking? there is more photos in this post than in most post in ww :noidea:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

adjective
1. regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general.

The key term is "people in general". So yes, steel is becoming more popular as the general cyclist is now considering it more in their search for a frame material.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I've had about 5-6 steel bikes in the last 2 years plus a titanium and alloy bike.
I ride a big bike 60cm so light steel sometimes means flexy which sucks especially descending into the wind. My two favorite bikes I've owned have been a bianchi pinella 2009 which was awesome super stiff and light at 1600 grams for frame it was a 57cm and more like a 55 actually so was too small. And my current and favorite pegoretti duende which is superstiff and 2000 grams size 60cm. I just came off a 58cm sworks tarmac and much prefer the peg. Very pricey though new, I got mine used.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

JulienLeBreton wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Where...I see three pages of french dialogue and only several pictures of some headsets?

You're joking? there is more photos in this post than in most post in ww :noidea:

Yep, I can't see any pics other than the headsets...I have no idea why?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wingnut, they may not be loading for you... Not sure why, but it could be because they just load so slowly in the first place and your browser gives up on them...

Anyway, here's the pic of the build, from that thread, when it hits sub-6kg:
(pulling it from the original source, so if that person moves the image... this may not show up)

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stanseven

by stanseven

btompkins0112 wrote:The key term is "people in general". So yes, steel is becoming more popular as the general cyclist is now considering it more in their search for a frame material.

I would say "people in general" is a large base of new riders, experienced riders looking for something different, and experiened riders looking for performance upgrades. Steel riders fall in that middle and there is lots and lots of competition. Steel is a very small share and even a big increase isn't that noticable.

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks everyone for your replies :thumbup:

There's definitely a lot of inspiration and good ideas for me to work on and explore.

tinozee

by tinozee

Oh man theat Tecno is so hawt. That and the colnago Master are my fav metal frames.

giro di lento

by giro di lento

My Stoemper Taylör is a 56cm and weighed 1550gms
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

Thrillho

by Thrillho

Didn't weigh the frame, but my speedvagen road weighs right at 15 pounds with pedals, cages, quarq and head unit. Its a light build (Super Record) but not exotic. I have also owned 12.5 pound carbon bikes and I honestly cant feel the difference in weight when the wheels are the same.
Speedvagen Road
Stoemper SSCX disc
Ira Ryan XCR DI2
Parlee TT
Moots Mooto-X RSL SS
Richard Sachs Cyclocross
Scott Spark 29er

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a Sannio frame built using Columbus Genius and it weighs 1700g. I am glad of that as the reason why I choose it is it large diameter tubes. 1700g is light enough for a frame I will just make sure all kit is light weight (record 10 speed, columbus minimal forks...) this will be my race bike for next year.