Colnago Dream Cross cyclocross bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hi guys,

My search for a fun winter bike last year ended with an ALAN Alu Cross cyclocross bike. Initially I was planning on using it mainly as a bad weather bike, but I ended up using it a lot more both on the road and off. Although the ALAN is way stiffer than the early ALAN aluminium frames, it doesn't exactly supply an inspiring ride to say the least. That is why I decided to pull the trigger on an upgrade.

Seeing as I am a big fan of vintage bikes, I tried to find myself a nice vintage cyclocross bike. Contrary to road bikes, vintage cyclocross bikes are quite difficult to get a hold of, especially in the right size. Recently I was able to get a hold of a Colnago Dream Cross cylcocross bike. The bike is a former Rabobank team bike, so the paint is in pretty poor condition. Aside from two tiny dents in the top tube the frame appears to be structurally sound though. For the time being I kept the bike exactly as I bought it, aside from the wheels and the handlebars. I changed the wheels for Mavic Classics Pro and the handlebars for a Cinelli Integralter.

In the next couple of weeks I am going to see if the bike is right for me. If it is, I will get the frame a fresh coat of paint and some nice new components :) .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Should totally keep the paint as is, the bike has history.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Looks really mean with the Integralter -- in a good way!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice.

record

by record

euan wrote:Should totally keep the paint as is, the bike has history.

Indeed. I would keep any vintage parts as well.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Im very jelly of this bike! I saw a similar one on ebay when I bought my CT-2 but decided I could subject that art decor rider on top to the mud!

What parts are you considering?

coloclimber

by coloclimber

That is hot!
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

globalsunset

by globalsunset

Beautiful... I would NOT paint that.

singlespeedscott

by singlespeedscott

Very nice.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Thanks for all the kind comments guys (and girls?).

Although the paint looks okay in the pictures, in real life it looks really poor. I can live with the scratches, but there are also several fairly large areas where the paint has chipped of completely, leaving just bare oxidized aluminum. There is also rust underneith the paint on the fork, which doesn't look to great either.

If I would do new paint, I am going to get new components as well. I was thinking about doing an SRAM built for a change -Rival or Force probably - or maybe a modern Shimano Ultegra groupset.

jgadd

by jgadd

I also have one of these, bought for riding cobbles but going into 'cross service this winter. Mine's a 59cm one apparently ridden by Marcel Duijn. I'll find some pictures if there's interest.
rideupgrades.co.uk

Twitter: @rideupgrades for the site, @gaddjames for the personal stuff.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

There is interest :mrgreen:

ipdamages

by ipdamages

What about having it repainted in the same colors? It would be a shame to lose the look with which it was born.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jgadd

by jgadd

Here's a couple from earlier this year, they don't show the bike all that well but they're the best I have at the moment.

http://imgur.com/a/W355W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rideupgrades.co.uk

Twitter: @rideupgrades for the site, @gaddjames for the personal stuff.