Scott Spark RC 650B

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

FRM or Shift Up make sub 40g chain guides

At least from the Absolute Black website it appears that the DM chainring has a normal tooth profile whereas their 104BCD rings have the narrow/ wide (XX1 style) tooth profile. I hadn't noticed this until the other comment here on this thread...

Normal mech, normal chainring and 40g guide will work out pretty much the same weight as clutch mech, N/W chainring and no guide I think. The appeal for me was a "clean" drivetrain but the difference in performance between the two set ups makes me think about a chain guide again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Me 2 - didn't noticed there were a different between the 104BCD chain ring and the DM chain ring. I have ordered the x0 type 2 rd so I will see how it works out - otherwise I will get the Wolftooth! Hope it will work!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Got the Sram x0 type 2 rear derailleur and mounted it - in the workstand the derailleur felt very bad in shifting and almost like the clutch was TOO tight making the chain feel like it was stiff. Talked with some people and decided just to try it on the singletracks. This was totally different - didn't feel wrong and didn't drop a chain on a pretty bumpy singletrack with some drops. Honestly - the shifting isn't perfect. Feels a bit like there is some grit in the gearhousing but it's not bad and I'm fairly happy :-)

Replaced with original pulleywheels with some MSC alu wheels and 1 bolt with a alu 1. Originale weight was 227 grams.

From the testride today:

DanW

by DanW

The clutch will lose a little tension early on and is stiff to start from what I have found. Also, you are quite right that shifting in the workstand can feel awful (almost like it won't shift at all) but on the trail it is almost not noticeable

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Now I just have to find a carbon plate for the x0 cage to lighten it a bit :-P

Anders

by Anders

Mads, ebay is your friend. Seach for SRAM Käfig.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Only 7 grams lighter with a carbon plate than the original alu plate.

Got a Tune Stubby and Tune carbon bottlecage instead - better weightsaving :-)

schmiken

by schmiken

I am loving this, I'm a total convert to 650 and been wanting a good light full sus.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Schmiken - did you fit 650B wheels to your Scott Scale 26" frame?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Current weight - 8.54 kg. Waiting for the Tune parts - hopefully a weightsaving around 70 grams.

schmiken

by schmiken

Mads - I tried but they didn't fit. Have now sold my Scale and have a 650 Kingdom D9 and a Titus Eleven, both of which are 650.

I really need to post them both and change my signature!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Mads Kock wrote:Image

Trying Sram XX1 crankarms and Absolute Black DM chainring. First testride resulted with dropping the chain about 6 times on a 27 km bumpy singletrack so that wasn't perfect. I will try with a type 2 rear derailleur now :-)

Edit: I have shortened the chain by 2 links after the first ride. Maybe this will help a little bit.

I have a very similar set up; 2011 Scott park 10 with lefty fork, running 26" but thinking on converting to 650b for a while now.
Drive train I'm running a spiderless 36T MRP chainring (standard teeth) with XO crank a XTR shadow plus long cage, Absolutely NO Chain Drop so far. One time It happened because I forgot to engage the locking switch. I know there is a big push on the market for XX1 type chainrings...but as you did switching to XO type two or XTR shadow plus, it should work with no problems.
Last edited by andreszucs on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Now with Tune Cappy :-)

Got the wrong Tune bottlecage so still with the old steel cage. Maybe I should get the finger out and do that tubeless conversion.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hey, guys.
It's Marcin from AbsoluteBlack.

Spiderless version indeed does not have narrow/wide tooth, so it requires short/medium clutch cage in order to work properly in light riding. But even then for some it may not be enough in very demanding terrain.

My 104bcd chainrings do have narrow/wide profiles and it is impossible to drop a chain almost. What DanW wrote here is the issue with KMC chain. My chainrings does not work with KMC chains and thus problems with mud. Every other chain works, just not KMC as they are out of spec and have to tight links (wrong dimension). KMC got back to me as they found out on my website i don't recommend them so i guess they will soon make a running chain to fix the issue.

I will have in 5-6 weeks also Spiderless version with narrow/wide profile. So if someone is really unhappy with the current performance of regular spiderless chainring please get back to me via email (contac@absoluteblack.cc). But please notice that i wrote very precisely on my website that when riding in demanding conditions you WILL need to use chain catcher of some sort on the top.
Most customers of the spiderless solution are singlespeeders and Enduro/DH guys. first ones does use anything and second ones always use a full chain catcher anyway "just in case" as for them is scary to ride without anything. So for these people i have build non narrow/wide chainrings as they don't need it.

New chainrings are coming soon so stay tuned.
Marcin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hi Marcin

Thanks for the post - I must admit that I didn't see that you made different chainrings for spiderless and 104mm but after getting the type 2 derailleur it has been working great for me. No dropped chain yet - I don't ride 2-3 meter drops or downhill but xc in pretty bumpy terrain so I'm satisfied.