Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I contacted light-bicycle and they say a few more days (about 1week) until completion and about 4-7 days of shipping to US.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sspring

by sspring

I've been waiting for a month. Carolin assured me they would be completed in the next few days

Miglior

by Miglior

Hi guys,

Ive Been waiting to put an order in to Far Sports for some 50mm carbon clinchers. I was going to go for the 25mm wide versions. In light of some reports recently of these potentially being problematic.. Im wondering should I be better off going for the 23mm versions?

I gotta admit, I have read almost all of this thread but im still not sure which would be best for my needs. How many on here could hand on heart recommend the 50x25 from farsports?

I am a social cyclist, I ride about 100 miles per week, i dont race but i might look towards getting more competitive next summer. I live in a very hilly place. I would go for light 38mm x 25 but Im pretty sure at 90kgs, id be safer on 50mm wheels right?

would the 50 x 23 new 2014 far sport models be a safer bet in terms of how they will last :S

any help from any more experienced members would be wholly appreciated! Cheers guys

chazmtb

by chazmtb

What specifically have you heard as being problematic.

Miglior

by Miglior

25mm farsports. Bad brake jitter and some reports of bubbles forming along the brake channel

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Where specifically have you heard this. I have reviewed the boards.

Miglior

by Miglior

some on here and some on other cycle forums. Im not sure if the rules allow me to link to other forums?

eric

by eric

If you weigh 90kg and ride steep descents I would not recommend any carbon clincher. Especially if you're not racing. The braking is not as good as aluminium and the rims can overheat. The performance increase is very small. I only notice that I am a little faster on fast descents.

Miglior

by Miglior

Even with 24/28 spokes and 50mm rim and 25mm tyre? im not decending for miles and miles and I am confident on decents.

Berg

by Berg

The rim profile and spoke count is not the issue - even the 38mm rim with 20/24 spokes should take a 90 kg rider no problems (best with a heavier spoke rear DS). I would say 24/28 on 50mm rim is overkill for you, but of course it doesn't hurt to have stronger wheels, if you are not concerned with the extra weight.

If the braking wil be a problem, it will be a problem equally on 38, 50mm or any other rim depth (assuming the same type brake track). I have good experience with the basalt brake tracks, even on very long and/or steep descents, but since I am only 63kg you may not have the same experience :)

fletch62

by fletch62

Perhaps, Miglior, you may be better off looking at an alu. rim with carbon fairing.
Something like Flo cycling wheels or Helin Liu offer a wide (25mm) u-shape 60mm clincher.
A bit heavier, but might suit you better.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/The-latest-carbon-alloy-clincher-wheels-60mm-with-Red-Novatec-hubs-and-Black-spokes/502344_1179178395.html
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_30.php

Miglior

by Miglior

wow, nearly 2kgs! I think im going to risk it! just have to go steady on the brakes! Im not bothered about what they cost really so i will risk it ;)

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

So has anybody got a pair of the light bicycle 45 or 50mm aero clinchers yet?

eric

by eric

The basalt brake tracks on FarSports rims have worked fine in races for me too, but I'm 65kg and a confident descender. Even so I won't use them on many of the roads I ride as they're much steeper and more technical than the roads we race on. Only you know what "very hilly" means. Here we have a lot of descents with 8% to well over 10% grades, plenty of 15 mph corners and bumpy pavement.

You can get aluminium rims that are as light as FarSports carbon clinchers.

You actually don't want to go steady on the brakes. You want to brake for turns and then get off the brakes to let the rims cool. Dragging the brakes is more likely to overheat them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Does anyone know if there is another vendor offering a 45mm (303 Firecrest) profile other than light-bicycle?