Look Keo Blade pedal broken

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blee

by blee

Well, given my experience I don't think an online merchant "guarantee" really matters all that much. I actually purchased my original pair from an eBay merchant, but my LBS has been able to get them replaced 3 times now with zero questions or hassle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I had the 16nm version before and the body cracked. No more tension after that. I got it warrantied and sold it. I'm now on Speedplays.

Great pedals BUT I think they're best used for race day only.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I broke thru my second set of Blade Ti 16nm body ... they again replaced them .. I sold them online and brought Time Xpresso and couldn't be happier
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

gitsome

by gitsome

Interesting.... I did a search for the Xpressos here and also read more than a few posts about them breaking rather early in their lifespans so I'm thinking maybe its a lightweight carbon-body pedal issue? Though I have also heard Xpressos do work nicely....
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

marksw

by marksw

I bought a pair of the 16 NM Ti pedals from Chain Reaction Cycles and after a month they developed an annoying click; it would come and go which was even more frustrating, it was only after I completely stripped down the bike and closely examined the pedals that I discovered a split on both pedal housings. The spindle and bearings were intact, but the "click" was from the split on each pedal. Chain Reaction were spot on with the warranty and I now have a replacement second pair, if they split again I will revert to the Look Keo Carbon Max version. By attemting to loose the weight and yet still increase the pedalling platform Look may have reduced the strength of the actual housing. I am not heavy (75kg), but do apply significant force when sprinting in a group.

gitsome

by gitsome

I gave in and got a second set for my 595....God I love these pedals so much hope they dont break...they are so much better than previous Keo ti's

Esterhas

by Esterhas

I've been through two pairs of the 16nM Chro Mo Blades in 8 months, same cracks, one on the right the other on the left/replacement pedal. I've reluctantly had to move on. As I came from Speedplay & with no interest on going back as loved the real estate the Blades provided. So I've decided to go with Dura Ace 9000 pedals. My Campy components doth protest, but at this point, I don't care.

blee

by blee

I just saw this article on cyclingnews.com:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... ery/277684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they are addressing the issue by beefing up the carbon spring.

sawyer

by sawyer

Suspect this is largely a case of lots of sets in use so quite a few failures.

More than Shimano it seems I will admit.

However to suggest Look Keo Blades are "race day only" is clearly wide of the mark given how many people use these every day without issue.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

There are lots of Look Keo pedals out there ... Keo Blades ? They are nowhere near common at all. I probably see 1 for every 12-15 Keo users I encounter. And there are an approximately equal (maybe higher) number of Shimano SPD-SL users as far as I can see around where I ride.

sawyer

by sawyer

I see lots of Keo Blade users. Less than Keos and Shimano SPD-SL true, but those have been around much longer and occupy cheaper price points on average.

It stands to reason - Keo Blades have been Look's main mid to high end race pedal for what 3 or 4 years now. Look are I think the most popular pedal manufacturer for mid to high end pedals? Of course there will be lots in circulation.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

blee

by blee

Okay, I've just broken my fourth pair of Blades in just a little over two years. This time they are sending me Blade 2's as a replacement...crossing my fingers they've finally addressed their quality control issues.

gitsome

by gitsome

PLease keep us posted over medium and long-terms.....we are waiting and watching too..

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Happened to me as well. Now I´m just waiting to see what Look has to say about it as the dealer I bought it from has closed...
Blade ti 16 nm.
Attachments
Blade failure.jpg
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I persisted with Look Keo Blades - was one of the first buyers, but I just gave up on them 2 years ago as I had 4 quality issues with them, and they replaced 3 pairs.
Same crack in the body near the axle, all sorts of creaks and cracks of every description that drove me nuts.

I gave up and went with DA9000, and it's the best extra 50g I ever put on my bike.