HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 am 

title says it all; I'm getting mixed info here in Tulsa on putting a road crank in a owl hollow mtb frame. Since the mtb bb is 72 mm and ultegra or dura ace is 68mm; is there an adapter I can use to setup the bike and subsequent chainline so everything lines up properly and lets me move to a road triple? Ideally I'd like a ceramic bb, but i've gotten conflicting advice. A rather untrustworthy LBS wrencher says cant be done wo cutting the bike bb, a local frame builder sys sure it can.

my question is simple, does anyone know the CORRECT answer, and cn I use a ceramic BB??

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:11 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 am 

No personal experience of your issue, but I would think that current road systems with a built in spindle, like current shimano or sram cranksets are not going to work, because the spindle isn't long enough.

One solution would be to use a cartridge BB like square taper or octalink which are available in a MTB width, and then use a matching road crank.

Don't know what else you'd need to watch for. Hopefully someone with some experience will chip in.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 am 

I've got an older M4 Road, which is running a CS7700 Dura Ace crank. I have thought the same thing ..find a compatible bb at the 73mm width, and bolt on the new road cranks voila....instant cross bike. I've already done the 26" to 700C conversion using Paul's Components brakes. The bike is being used in more cross riding than XC. I had specifically thought of something like an ultegra crank ..FC6703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 pm 

Check out Sugino and Miche for square taper. You sure you need a triple? Compact double is going to be easier.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm 

TBH, if you are using it for cross, stick with the chainset you have and get some bigger rings, but go to a double. Most CX racers are using something about the 42 size as a single ring or a mid30s/mid40s doubles. (something like 36/44 is not unheard of)
If you go to a road chainset (octalink, isis or square taper), even with the proper bottom bracket shell (73mm) you may have issues with the inner of a road double (or the middle and inner of a road triple) catching on the chainstays. Most MTB rear ends are designed around significantly smaller ring sizes. So you'll have to go to an axle which is far too long to hit any sort of a decent chainline.

And road triples, not really suitable for CX, the big ring is too big, and the small ring is too small......... unless you are Sven Nys, then you can ride whatever you like. :wink:

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm 

The problem with putting road rings on an MTB is the inner or mid often foul the chain stay.

AIUI Road and MTB HT2 cranks have the same length axle, Road BB's are thicker as they are designed for 68mm shells only so to go with your 73mm you'll need an MTB BB.