BB - Chris King or HSC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

I'm building a new bike which has a BB86 frame. What do you guys think between:

Chris King Press Fit 24 - Steel (c. $140)
Chris King Press Fit 24 - Ceramic (c. $210)
HSC Ceramic BB86 ($135 - http://www.hscceramics.com.au/HSC-Bike- ... -BB86.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The HSC seems to have good specs from what I can tell, and it's also 30g lighter than the CK ceramics. The CK reputation is indisputable though. Help :welcome: .

Thanks!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Never used BB86, but I can speak/write about HSC bearings and they are fantastic. I've used them on both BB30 and BSA/external cup frames.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadster

by shadster

im no expert but I can tell you i had a bad experience with a HSC GXP bottom bracket a few years ago, from memory the tolerances were out and they kept coming loose, I returned them and got my money back

was told by my lbs they are just chinese made bearings imported by an aussie company and to try these American made bearings http://www.vcrcbike.com/ havnt had a problem since

prendrefeu has had great experiences so maybe I was unlucky and got a dud set

eric

by eric

I'd also recommend VCRC. I have a set (GXP, ceramic) and they are very smooth.

ms6073

by ms6073

If I weren't running an FSA K-Force SRM which has a slightly larger diameter spindle than Shimano forcing us to use FSA parts, I would be using a KCNC Press-In BB86 Bottom Bracket.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

timzcat

by timzcat

I will vote for HSC. I have them on two bikes now and have installed them in friends bikes. Primarily PF30 and BB30 with never an issue.

Rob1519

by Rob1519

eric wrote:I'd also recommend VCRC. I have a set (GXP, ceramic) and they are very smooth.

Another vote for VCRC

SDP

by SDP

Ive had a kcnc bb86...poor tolerances.noisy.
Binned it....
Im usually a fan of kcnc,as well...:sad:

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I have a ceramic Chris King BB (Shimano) with < 2000 miles on it, and it's already making grinding noises. Not happy with CK at all.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

boysa

by boysa

I have a CK 68mm along with the grease injection tool. Just based off of feel, I thought the bearings were nothing compared to the Campy SR I had on my bike before. I only made the switch because I was installing a Quarq. Every time I used the tool it would force the gaskets to pop out, and in general I just felt the CK "name" was hype.

I've since had a Quarq warranty replacement, and now since I am using the Elsa I have a SRAM GXP bb... I'd be interested switching to VCRC or HSC is truly an upgrade.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eric

by eric

The VCRC ceramic GXP is an upgrade from the Sram steel bearing GXP but the Sram one is so good that it's only a small difference in the "spin the cranks" test.
I realize that test is not representative of actual use but its what I have available.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks. I understand the "spin" test is not very scientific, but what else do we have? I know when I gave the Campy setup a whirl it was remarkable. The Chris King... bleh! It seems I spent a lot of time trying to tighten the crank "just enough" to avoid play but get some freedom in its rotation. In that sense, the GXP is a nice switch. Just tighten and go. No fiddling.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I think the GXP is the best design for external bearing cranks. Less tools, no preload problems, self extracting, etc.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.