Giro Prolight issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rico

by rico

I bought a pair of the Giro Prolights just after they'd come on the market as my ultarlight shoes to replace a pair of the Spesh S-Works (which were excellent, but I kept breaking to Boa laces...). My regular shoes are Shimanos.

The Giros proceeded to give me a pretty serious ankle soft tissue injury such that I actually couldn't ride a for a few months over the winter. Last week I changed the cleat position slightly and the ankle problem is gone, but I find it really dificult to generate much power in them because my feet feel like they're moving around all over the place, however tight the straps. Halfway through the ride I popped home to put my Shimanos on and they were a revelation compared to the Giros - ultra comfortable, very secure, etc.

So now I'm left with a useless £200 pair of fancypants shoes. Anyone had similar issues? Do Giro make different insoles? I can see something on their site about them, but no details.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Just out of curiosity, how is the fit of these compared to S Works?
I've got a wider foot so the S Works fit well,..
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rico

by rico

I take a size 42 in both (but a 43 in Shimano). The Giros are roomier towards the front - too damn roomy in fact...

rogan

by rogan

i have the prolights and cant say i'm all that impressed either, I wear them without the insoles in at all, and they're light and airy but I know what you mean they're not very well fitting in the keeping my foot in one place department at the keep especially

Rick

by Rick

S-Works used a polymer Boa lace for only one or two years. All the others are stainless steel (polymer coated). So if you just replace your laces with the steel ones, I doubt you will break any more.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

rogan wrote:i have the prolights and cant say i'm all that impressed either, I wear them without the insoles in at all, and they're light and airy but I know what you mean they're not very well fitting in the keeping my foot in one place department at the keep especially

This is the funniest thing I've read all day.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

applebaconator

by applebaconator

rogan wrote:i have the prolights and cant say i'm all that impressed either, I wear them without the insoles in at all, and they're light and airy but I know what you mean they're not very well fitting in the keeping my foot in one place department at the keep especially

Shoes are designed to be worn with insoles. So how can they be good fitting with you don't even have any insoles in them? Your logic :noidea:

Also if you took the insoles out the shoes were too tight/awkward fitting in the midfoot albeit getting the right length, then it means your foot has too much volume for the shoe interior itself. Giro Prolight shoe are clearly designed for people with low volume foot in mind - with only a roomier, wider toe box with than Specialized 2013 S-Works shoe.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

rogan wrote:i have the prolights and cant say i'm all that impressed either, I wear them without the insoles in at all,...

Oh my God! And Giro and Spec does not know what they are doing!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

To the OP, how did the shoes cause soft-tissue injury?

Cleat placement and change in pronation / wedging can cause change in muscle use.

rico

by rico

ghisallo - I think you said it yourself. A probable combination of cleat placement (though was as near as dammit to my regular placement), and too much foot movement (and I was using insoles) cause a persistent ankle pain and feeling that the ankle needed to 'click in'. Doc said soft tissue injury, don't ride until pain goes.

Having changed the cleat position the same thing hasn't returned, but the feeling of my feet moving and slipping around in the shoe is not confidence inspiring. If they make a thicker insole (mine are the red ones) then perhaps I can get them to work.

The Giros are fabulously light and very well made, but I suspect strap-only shoes are not for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Rico, how do they fit when you just put them on initially? (off bike)

Where they too roomy, too flat (insole and sole plate shape)?

It seems like anything that bad would have been pretty clear very early, just wondering what initial fit issues there were.

Past that, you might fix it with a proper orthotic... Couple people here ride them and like them.